How to choose a good ambulance company for EMT-B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cold Penguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am taking the EMT-B class this summer. Once I get certified, I have a choice of working for Pulse, Medex, ATI or Advance. I want to know more about these ambulance companies before choosing which one I'd like to work. As far as I know, these are the four local ambulance companies dominant in the Chicago area. How do you know which company is most suitable for your taste? What are the things I should be aware in choosing an ambulance company to work for?

I am looking for a company that is flexible and pays well, if possible. Since I will be a new EMT, I want to make sure that I work with an experienced EMT or paramedic at least in the beginning. I plan to work full-time on weekdays. I want to know if working full-time at any of these companies will give me any health benefits. Long shifts (up to 14 hours or so) is fine with me. Also, is there like a minimum commitment of having to work for a year before quitting? (I am just curious)

I also want to know if you need to know how to drive the ambulance as a novice EMT-B.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm a new emt myself in chi-town, so here are some tidbits i gathered (which are mostly impressions and could be wrong):

--most companies throw you into an ambulance. many are van-style vehicles and pretty easy to drive. most give standard benefits after you work there for a certain number of months full time.

--superior is another private. the biggest private. they pay the most, but i hear they work you harder, have tight discipline, and you have to wear a clip-on tie. they do call or paperwork bonuses. have garages throughout city, but have to go to suburbs and take an emt and street location test to apply.

--vandenburg is another private. don't know anything about them.

--advance has a reputation for giving their emts more bls work than is usual for a private. probably don't pay top dollar.

--ati is flexible with scheduling, and they pair some emts with paramedics in the loyola ems system.

--medex pays o.k., and they do call or paperwork bonuses.

--the suburbs offer the best bls experience. some even have only private emts to respond to emergencies, while tapping into "mutual aid" als from nearby chicago or other suburbs.

Not sure if this applies to your area, but in Virginia in order to drive an emergency vehicle you have to take EVOC (emergency vehicle operator's course).

I took it in order to drive fire engines, but there were also EMTs taking the course so they could drive ambulances. The course is only a few days long.

A potential added bonus is that the EVOC course may lower your car insurance premiums. This didn't occur in my experience, but I've heard of it happening second-hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I always find it good to talk to current or former employees to see what they say. Sometimes it is better to work for less money but have a better time at work.

Go to the place that pays more. Everything else is basically the same.

The only other issue to consider is 911 vs. transfer, but I was paid 15.10 per hour for transfer and 8.30 per hour to do 911 for the same service, so it depends on whether you want money or experience.

You can always pull some shifts PRN at a 911 service or volunteer for the

Wahoo said:
Not sure if this applies to your area, but in Virginia in order to drive an emergency vehicle you have to take EVOC (emergency vehicle operator's course).

I took it in order to drive fire engines, but there were also EMTs taking the course so they could drive ambulances. The course is only a few days long.

A potential added bonus is that the EVOC course may lower your car insurance premiums. This didn't occur in my experience, but I've heard of it happening second-hand.

In Texas, it is done by the service that hires you, regardless of your past experience.

I work for ATI. I agree, basically all companies are the same. I choose ATI primarily because it is on the Red Line. They are fairly flexible with hours. They pay $9/hr. You can drive if you have a clean record, and take their CEVO class. In fact, if you have a clean record, get prepared to drive.

One thing that jumped out at me is this: It is a private company. It was created for one reason, to make money. They don't care if something is broken or not working. If you can survive without it, get use to that. The managers obviously care more about their wallets then their employees.

Be prepared, most calls (just like all transport companies) are NOT emergencies. You will be taking people to dialysis, home from the hospital, and to MD appts. ATI does do quite a lot of emergency situations (jail calls, Tweeter concerts, OB transports, etc)...but those are mainly given to the paramedics, not EMTs. You can't work with the paramedics unless you've been there for several years.

That's all I got for ya...if you got any questions, let me know.

Cold Penguin said:
Hi. I am taking the EMT-B class this summer. Once I get certified, I have a choice of working for Pulse, Medex, ATI or Advance. I want to know more about these ambulance companies before choosing which one I'd like to work. As far as I know, these are the four local ambulance companies dominant in the Chicago area. How do you know which company is most suitable for your taste? What are the things I should be aware in choosing an ambulance company to work for?

I am looking for a company that is flexible and pays well, if possible. Since I will be a new EMT, I want to make sure that I work with an experienced EMT or paramedic at least in the beginning. I plan to work full-time on weekdays. I want to know if working full-time at any of these companies will give me any health benefits. Long shifts (up to 14 hours or so) is fine with me. Also, is there like a minimum commitment of having to work for a year before quitting? (I am just curious)

I also want to know if you need to know how to drive the ambulance as a novice EMT-B.

Thanks!

I work for MedEx and can answer any questions you have about it.

MedEx is pretty flexible. I work only on saturdays for a 13-hour shift, and I usually get any days off that I request (provided I give adequate notice). you do three days of riding as a 3rd person w/ an experienced crew, and then you are sent on your own w/ a partner who may or may not be experienced (most are fairly experienced).

You become a full employee after 3 months at which point you can get full health benefits and such (PPO and HMO options). starting pay is $8.50 and you get $2 for each call you do after you have worked there for 3 or 6 months (I forgot exactly how long). they train you to drive by the end of 3 months (usually sooner as they are often short drivers).

most of the good stuff goes to ALS although weekdays you may get true emergencies if ALS isn't available.

the best way to see if you like a particular company is to ride with them for a day. medex lets wright college emt students ride w/ us and I don't think they would have a problem letting you ride as well (they are always looking to hire).

the cool aspect is that medex runs the Childrens' memorial hospital ambulance, so they transport the RNs that pick up sick children from other hospitals.

if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.