How to Become a Plastic Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaDoctora

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the track to become a plastic surgeon? There aren't any residencies in plastic surgery, so which residency is required? Then what after the residency makes you a "plastic surgeon?"

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the track to become a plastic surgeon? There aren't any residencies in plastic surgery, so which residency is required? Then what after the residency makes you a "plastic surgeon?"
There certainly are plastic surgery residencies.
http://residency.wustl.edu/medadmin/resweb.nsf/L/3B84D9759D62506786256F8F00749E38?OpenDocument
http://www.nrmp.org/matchoutcomes.pdf
One of the most competitive to get though, work hard is the track. Maybe do some plastic surgery research early on too.

Information from NRMP on plastic surgery applicants.

U.S. Seniors All Others
Number of Applicants 148
Applicants per position 1.80
Mean USMLE Step 1 Score 231
Mean Contiguous Ranks 6.8
Percent AOA 33
Percent with publications 75
Percent with research projects 96

Number of Positions in Main Match Plastic Surgery 82

Members don't see this ad :)
I see someone already beat me to the NRMP match report. Oh well.

There are less than 90 plastics residencies in the main match according to NRMP. I think there are other avenues available as well, like doing gen surg first. It is and probably will be for the foreseeable future one of the most competitive specialties, so probably the only part of the track you should worry about right now is making top 5 in your class and top 5% on the Step I.

There are less than 90 plastics residencies in the main match according to NRMP. I think there are other avenues available as well, like doing gen surg first. It is and probably will be for the foreseeable future one of the most competitive specialties, so probably the only part of the track you should worry about right now is making top 5 in your class and top 5% on the Step I.

Wouldn't 33% AOA means that a majority of the students aren't even top 10%? After looking at NRMP, it just seems like any exclusive club. It's the work you contribute (RESEARCH), good grades (top 25%), and CONNECTIONS. Face it, 90 spots divide by 50 states is less than one spot per state (I know they're not evenly distrubuted...) over the course of 5 years.. only 5 new plastics per state which means they probably know each other.. and have a nephew who needs to get in.. :)

Start Smooozzing..

Wouldn't 33% AOA means that a majority of the students aren't even top 10%? After looking at NRMP, it just seems like any exclusive club. It's the work you contribute (RESEARCH), good grades (top 25%), and CONNECTIONS. Face it, 90 spots divide by 50 states is less than one spot per state (I know they're not evenly distrubuted...) over the course of 5 years.. only 5 new plastics per state which means they probably know each other.. and have a nephew who needs to get in.. :)

Start Smooozzing..

now i'm not great w/ math, but i'm pretty sure 90 spots / 50 states is more than 1 spot per state

Number of Applicants 148
Applicants per position 1.80
Mean USMLE Step 1 Score 231

My program received over 250 applications this year. (?)

I found this guide helpful last year.
http://www.plasticseducation.com/Gilmans_PRS_Guide.pdf

ERGO...if what you say is true, then i think that figure of 148 applicants are people who actually ranked plastic surgery on their final rank-lists. The rest who applied probably didn't get interviews, and thus didn't bother ranking it, and hence didn't make it into the applicant-number statistic.

it's only a guess, but it makes sense...and makes plastic surgery that much more competitive

...i guess spelling's a good start in being competitive; is "competitive" spelled right?

I've seen the match stats everyone's posting here. But aren't there plastic surgery residency spots available through the San Fransisco Match as well? I don't *think* those are included in these figures posted here, but I may be wrong. (Or is the SF Match for people that already have surgery residency experience?)

And yes, I've noticed the same thing with many of the match stats re: the AOA percentage. In nearly ALL fields (derm and a *couple* others being exceptions), the percentage of students in AOA (top 10-20% of class in grades, depending on where you are) is roughly 15% or so--exactly what it would be for a normal distribution of med students from any class. Some it's less, of course, like family practice, but most it's right around average.

So it seems like board scores, interest, interviews, connections, etc. is most important.

I've seen the match stats everyone's posting here. But aren't there plastic surgery residency spots available through the San Fransisco Match as well? I don't *think* those are included in these figures posted here, but I may be wrong. (Or is the SF Match for people that already have surgery residency experience?)

And yes, I've noticed the same thing with many of the match stats re: the AOA percentage. In nearly ALL fields (derm and a *couple* others being exceptions), the percentage of students in AOA (top 10-20% of class in grades, depending on where you are) is roughly 15% or so--exactly what it would be for a normal distribution of med students from any class. Some it's less, of course, like family practice, but most it's right around average.

So it seems like board scores, interest, interviews, connections, etc. is most important.

Of course, being AOA usually means you have a very solid grasp of the material from Years 1 & 2 which usually boosts the board score