How to be competitive for jobs after fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unleash500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who matched this year!

I don't think I am interested in academics at this point so I am wondering about clinical jobs primarily.

What do hospitals/clinics look for in fellows applying to jobs? QI projects? Research? References?
How important is the reputation of the fellowship program?
How saturated are the California markets? Eg SF and LA?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think there’s a good job market overall.

Most PPs are looking for a good team player and someone who is $$$ conscious and efficient with their time and good people skills.

Aside from that I don’t think people care what you’ve published. Worrying about your competitiveness is only a concern if your pursuing an academic role at big league university.

Other than that, once you start looking for jobs you will realize that you’re in demand. Don’t forget to negotiate everything...

If you want to work in Orange County, or SF be prepared to make no money.

If you’re willing to work in the interior of the state you’ll find good opportunities but no where near the compensation you’ll find In Midwest and south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome, I am willing to take a pay cut. Prefer to work in those areas for family reasons over cash.

Are there positions that exist with only outpatient clinic? Or are inpatient consults / weekend /overnight call always part of the package.

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually always part of the package. But every place I’ve talked to with exception of 1, have hospitalist doing their admissions and you consult.

There was a PP where one of the partners still did their own admissions and you’d have to cross cover as primary on weekends and at night — I didn’t take that job.

awesome, I am willing to take a pay cut. Prefer to work in those areas for family reasons over cash.

Are there positions that exist with only outpatient clinic? Or are inpatient consults / weekend /overnight call always part of the package.
There will always be call and inpatient consults of some sort. somebody has to cover your patients after hours. And if you haven't already figured it out, the second someone has a cancer diagnosis, it's almost like every other physician suddenly forgets how to manage their patients' non-cancer issues. So you'll need to help cards figure out how to manage a STEMI in your early stage ER+ breast cancer patients and the PCP how to manage the stable diabetes in your Stage II colon cancer patient who didn't need chemo.

Honestly, the amount of inpatient work for most community based oncologists is minimal. I was on call this past weekend, covering 14 docs and 7 hospitals. I got a grand total of 13 calls in 72 hours and had to see 4 patients total. I have to do this 4 times a year. It's pretty do-able.

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the compensation like in the Midwest for community doc willing to work hard?

So can anyone answer the following question- if I matched to a low tier heme/onc fellowship does this limit my job opportunities in the community ? Is the name of fellowship important in finding a job?

So can anyone answer the following question- if I matched to a low tier heme/onc fellowship does this limit my job opportunities in the community ? Is the name of fellowship important in finding a job?
Not really. Some places will have a stiffy for big name academic programs, but most are just going to want hard working team players.

I hire for an academ-ish community program and I care far more about interpersonal skills and work ethic than I do about pedigree.

Not really. Some places will have a stiffy for big name academic programs, but most are just going to want hard working team players.

I hire for an academ-ish community program and I care far more about interpersonal skills and work ethic than I do about pedigree.

What’s the compensation like in the Midwest for community doc willing to work hard?

Beats me. That's 2000 miles from me.

...and how many times are you going to ask this question anyway?

Lmao. Compensation is pretty good wherever you go, friend. Good time to be heme onc from my experience so far.

If you want employed job. Go where nobody wants to go and you’ll be king / queen. If you want big name, be prepared for them to pay you way less for the pleasure of you having to work for them... regardless you will be comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao. Compensation is pretty good wherever you go, friend. Good time to be heme onc from my experience so far.

If you want employed job. Go where nobody wants to go and you’ll be king / queen. If you want big name, be prepared for them to pay you way less for the pleasure of you having to work for them... regardless you will be comfortable.

what numbers are we talking for king/Queen?

Probably ball park $450-$500k range. Depends if you are going to be smart and negotiate your worth to them or be like 99% of business senseless docs who take whatever they’re offered.

I think there’s a good job market overall.

Most PPs are looking for a good team player and someone who is $$$ conscious and efficient with their time and good people skills.

Aside from that I don’t think people care what you’ve published. Worrying about your competitiveness is only a concern if your pursuing an academic role at big league university.

Other than that, once you start looking for jobs you will realize that you’re in demand. Don’t forget to negotiate everything...

If you want to work in Orange County, or SF be prepared to make no money.

If you’re willing to work in the interior of the state you’ll find good opportunities but no where near the compensation you’ll find In Midwest and south.

Out of curiosity what is your definition of “no money”?

No worries! Both?

Academics I’d imagine 250-275 range, lower in city proper. OC probably >SF. (Caveat I have no direct knowledge just extrapolating). PP is probably ~100k higher