How to Be a Leader?

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how does one become a leader? What qualities does a leader need to have? All of my prospective professions are very high up on the necessary leadership scale, and I feel as though I can be both a leader and a follower.

So what do you suggest in terms of gaining leadership experience? I realize becoming club president is going to be one of the first few answers, but how does one even get this position, especially since in most cases it's a popularity contest?

Members don't see this ad.

So how does one become a leader? What qualities does a leader need to have? All of my prospective professions are very high up on the necessary leadership scale, and I feel as though I can be both a leader and a follower.

So what do you suggest in terms of gaining leadership experience? I realize becoming club president is going to be one of the first few answers, but how does one even get this position, especially since in most cases it's a popularity contest?

Just take the initiative. Almost always I become the leader of group projects because I simply start brainstorming faster and start delegating areas for each person to do. Whether or not it's an established leadership position, you just have to work as a team member while being a guide at the same time.

I don't think this answer has clarified anything, but just practice taking the initiative and the leadership positions will come to you. You can't become club president without taking the initiative, you know.

Leadership is so subjective, there is no way to get it or experience by "doing X." Most adcoms can size up your leadership skills (and interpersonal skills) during an interview. Becoming something like club president definitely doesn't say "I'm a good leader" - I know many that aren't.

Sorry I don't have better advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
my supervisor is a former marine, and my military experience taught me a lot about leadership. Leaders take initiative, but don't steam roll colleagues just for recognition or a power seize, noone likes this.

They know how to size up people's strengths and weaknesses to figure out who can do what jobs best.

- Use ALL feedback to your advantage, negative or positive. If you assign a task and people are grumbling, find out why. If they respond positively, do it again in the future.
- Be able to build rapport with your people.
- Show them you can sacrifice your time, money, and effort without expectation.

There are tons of books on this subject, check some out

Be assertive, not aggressive. Have ideas and opinions, but be open to new ideas. Popularity has a lot to do with leadership roles in High School... because it's high school. When you're going out for college positions you'll have a more equal ground with "the cool kids", most of which who won't be in the clubs you're in anyways.

Haha, I remember in my freshman year in HS...I used to look up to the club presidents/captains with awe. It was like "Ohhh my god, how did they ever do it?! They're geniuses (genii?)!" (SO, kinda like now, looking up at ppl in med school already/residents...you tend to get the feeling you'll never make it there w/out a 200 IQ, which isn't true)

But anyway,
I think it'll just eventually come to you. Take initiative (believe someone said that already), and be invovled w/ what's going on in the club. Be a dependable member, so that the ppl who are in charge see your part as a whole. The more invovled you become, the more experience you'll have and the better you'll be at running things and helping out new members.

It's not something only some people have...you just have to play your cards right.

The key to being a good leader, is knowing you are right, and convincing others that you are right and to follow you.

Being a good leader, like all skills, is something that comes with practice. Some people may intuitively be more natural leaders than others, but leadership skills can be learned even by people who might not think of themselves as leaders. At your level, I would start by working with kids in some capacity. For example, you could be a summer camp counselor, or volunteer for an organization that offers after-school tutoring. As someone who has a lot of experience to offer in that context, you will naturally get the opportunity to be a leader.

Being a good leader, like all skills, is something that comes with practice. Some people may intuitively be more natural leaders than others, but leadership skills can be learned even by people who might not think of themselves as leaders. At your level, I would start by working with kids in some capacity. For example, you could be a summer camp counselor, or volunteer for an organization that offers after-school tutoring. As someone who has a lot of experience to offer in that context, you will naturally get the opportunity to be a leader.

This is a great idea, although my main problem is that I'm so self-conscious! What if they don't like me? :eek: I find that I have no idea how to deal with people who nonverbally seem to communicate dislike, no matter how old they are.

The key to being a good leader, is knowing you are right, and convincing others that you are right and to follow you.

Being a good leader also requires you to know when you are wrong and take responsibilities.

You will be a leader when people respect you and your decisions, in short.

What if they don't like me? :eek:

lol. I am a guy and I don't know how to gossip and stuff like that. If a guy don't like me, we gonnna have a fight. If a girl don't like me, she won't tell me anyway.

Nothing for me to worry too much anyway. :D

Being a good leader also requires you to know when you are wrong and take responsibilities.

You will be a leader when people respect you and your decisions, in short.

I have their respect, and yet I don't know what to do with it. Channeling admiration and respect is difficult for someone who is not very socially versed.

Lol, Tennis, I think you're a natural. The rest of us have to work at it. ;)

Last edited:
This is a great idea, although my main problem is that I'm so self-conscious! What if they don't like me? :eek: I find that I have no idea how to deal with people who nonverbally seem to communicate dislike, no matter how old they are.
What Maygyver said is on the right track. Think about it this way: You've probably had some teachers in high school who don't care (hopefully not too many!). They make it obvious that they would prefer to have nothing to do with you and other students on a personal level. The feeling of disinterest is mutual; those teachers don't really matter to you either. You only defer to them because they are in a position of authority. On the other hand, you've hopefully also had at least one or two teachers who really care about you and your classmates. They are the kind of people you could talk to if you got into trouble and who go out of their way to mentor their students. Those teachers are good leaders. Their students trust and respect them (and like them) because they earned that trust and respect.

When you are in a situation where you are mentoring kids, think about the good mentors you've had and remember how they treated you. That's what you want to do for your students. Kids are not stupid. If you care about them and you're interested in them, they will know it, just like you know it about your teachers.

What Maygyver said is on the right track. Think about it this way: You've probably had some teachers in high school who don't care (hopefully not too many!). They make it obvious that they would prefer to have nothing to do with you and other students on a personal level. The feeling of disinterest is mutual; those teachers don't really matter to you either. You only defer to them because they are in a position of authority. On the other hand, you've hopefully also had at least one or two teachers who really care about you and your classmates. They are the kind of people you could talk to if you got into trouble and who go out of their way to mentor their students. Those teachers are good leaders. Their students trust and respect them (and like them) because they earned that trust and respect.

When you are in a situation where you are mentoring kids, think about the good mentors you've had and remember how they treated you. That's what you want to do for your students. Kids are not stupid. If you care about them and you're interested in them, they will know it, just like you know it about your teachers.

This is one of the most sensical and helpful posts I've read on SDN so far. :) Now that I look back at all of the teachers that everyone seemed to admire, they all have something in common--passion! They love what they do, care about their students, and have a healthy balance of strictness and humor. And they were all super communicators, knowing just what to say and when to say it to evoke a response from their listeners. And really, passion makes all of this come naturally. Thanks!