How to balance extracurriculars and school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheNight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an MS1 who is doing fine in classes, but I have neglected to do any serious extracurriculars until now. I'm concerned I am not doing enough, as I know that even just doing well in classes isn't enough (not at a competitive school). I currently study a decent amount daily, but I don't think I am ready to take on anything like research. This semester, I plan to join one or two student interest groups for a specialty or two I am considering, focus on doing well in classes, and then add extracurriculars like research and actual leadership/volunteering, maybe in the summer. Is this a flawed plan? Do I need to be doing all of these things now? I know that for leadership in some clubs, longevity matters, and so I am worried that starting too late--even now--the sparse leadership opportunities are passing me by.

I do decently well on the exams but know there is much room for improvement based on my study habits, so I am tempted to double down on academics, as I feel like it will be easier for me to distinguish myself there (in clinical years) as opposed to extracurriculars which have never been my strong suit.

Side note:
I could study forever; I feel guilty that I am not doing much compared to my peers doing dual degrees, specific programs, etc, especially with this notion of maximizing efficiency to the point where even just sitting in class instead of 2x-ing feels like a waste. Any tips on "productivity guilt?"

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that matters outside of class is research, and even then only if you're applying to competitive specialties. Join the SIGs if you are truly interested, as it can help you find a research mentor and network within your fields so that when it comes time to apply your home program will know who you are, but again nobody is going to care if you did or did not have some BS officer position.

You already got into med school. Get out of the pre-med mentality that you need to be doing other stuff. Literally nobody cares, so just focus on doing well academically and do the things you want to do in your precious little spare time.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
At some point, you have to stop doing things that you think others want you to do and instead do the things you actually want to do. And after meeting other's expectations for so long, through K-12 and then undergrad, it's hard to even know what you want sometimes. But you owe it to yourself to find out. I'm going through this transition as well.

What do you want to do when you are a doctor? Are you going to be 100% clinical? Private practice? Academics? Do you like research? If you're not sure, maybe you should do some serious research to find out. There are people with zero interest in research but passionate about community service/advocacy. They focus on that and still match fine. (And even advocacy work can be published. Same goes for health policy, public health, etc.)

The elite residency programs want future leaders in medicine of all types, not just hard-core basic-science researchers. So just do what you really like, do it well, and opportunities will find you.

And don't worry about leadership. Not all leaders have an elected position, and not all who hold an elected position are truly leaders.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no balance. There is only suffering.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
You don’t need to balance anything. Extracurriculars in med school are just fun - cut them off if there’s any hint it is hurting your progress.

Research and grades are all that matter. Seriously. Letters barely matter unless they sink you. Most specialties don’t require research. Top programs in any specialties require it.

Reactions: 1 user