Do grad school (not med school) extracurriculars/awards count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all- lucky enough to be starting med school in the fall after spending a year earning my Masters. I worked hard and was lucky enough to accomplish enough over this year outside of school that I was wondering how residency programs view grad school extracurriculars/awards/research? Are they seen as just as legit as med school activities because it's another grad degree, or is it like the undergrad thing where they don't really care? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They do matter. Especially research and any pubs you got

Appreciate the input kind sir/ma'am, but I'd also be interested to hear from someone who is in residency/applying to residency/an attending physician to speak on this matter

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the input kind sir/ma'am, but I'd also be interested to hear from someone who is in residency/applying to residency/an attending physician to speak on this matter

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

They do matter. Especially research and any pubs you got (source: did grad school, included awards/pubs on ERAS, got positive notes about it during interviews)

• Haha

I will add that interesting hobbies and extracurriculars - including those in college - are also important, both from personal experience and from the perspective of reading about residency applicants who in other regards are largely interchangeable.

• Haha
They do matter. Especially research and any pubs you got (source: did grad school, included awards/pubs on ERAS, got positive notes about it during interviews)

Had similar experience. Had a lot of questions about undergrad and graduate research on interview trail (2017), a lot because it was public health not medical so a little unique. May not matter as much as med school research, but definitely does still matter.

Reactions: 1 users