How to apply for student loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc6

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting vet school in Fall 2023 and I am beyond excited to begin my journey! However, I am at a complete loss as to how student loans work and how to get them. I've never taken out loans before and I don't have any for undergrad. During my time in vet school, I anticipate relying solely on loans for tuition and rent, which is a very scary thought. I've already filed a FAFSA form. Do loans cover living costs as well as rent? Where do I begin to look?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You will get a notification from the school with your financial aid package information, you don't have to go hunting it down yourself :)

And yes there will be enough offered to cover the entire cost of attendance. How much you take of what is offered is up to you, I tended to just take the full amount just in case. There is a period of time prior to the end of the semester where you can "return" what you won't need and you won't get charged interest on it. Can't remember exactly how many days it was, but that was what I usually did.

Reactions: 3 users
You will get a notification from the school with your financial aid package information, you don't have to go hunting it down yourself :)

And yes there will be enough offered to cover the entire cost of attendance. How much you take of what is offered is up to you, I tended to just take the full amount just in case. There is a period of time prior to the end of the semester where you can "return" what you won't need and you won't get charged interest on it. Can't remember exactly how many days it was, but that was what I usually did.
Do you get the financial aid package after you officially accept your seat/pay the deposit or before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get the financial aid package after you officially accept your seat/pay the deposit or before?
Usually after. Some schools will tell you scholarships they would offer you and such beforehand, but I've only ever heard of loan packages being available after you're in the system as a student and everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually after. Some schools will tell you scholarships they would offer you and such beforehand, but I've only ever heard of loan packages being available after you're in the system as a student and everything.
Thanks for the info.

Reactions: 1 users