Can DAT score somewhat predict class rank?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthohopefully

Reaction score
In other words, do students with high dat scores (outliers in their dental school) tend to rank in a higher quartile for their class? Can anyone share any personal experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

Effort is the most important factor that predicts class rank. I am sure there is some correlation, but lots of my classmates with really high DATs are chilling on the weekends and just not interested in the rat race for top 10, totally depends on priorities. If you want to do well and have a goal in mind, just keep trying your best and you will see results.

Reactions: 3 users
I would say no.

I agree with the post above.
The people who want to specialize tend to perform the highest, whereas the people who want to be a GD tend to chill on the weekends more.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't think it's largely indicative of a persons rank. Some people I know that scored below the matriculation average are near the top of my class while others who scored well are maybe in the middle. It just depends on what you want to do after graduation really. Once you're in, you're in. Your DAT score becomes irrelevant and no one asks or cares.

Reactions: 1 user
This isn't rocket science.
If you want to know the answer to something, only ask for anecdotes if real scientific evidence doesn't exist.
Remember the hierarchy of evidence?
1705977162000.png

I spent like less than 10 minutes on this, and I found answers to your questions

ADA:

Conclusions This study found that DAT scores and undergraduate GPAs were strong individual predictors of student performance in dental school. When these predictors were taken as a set, the total contribution of the set represented a more powerful predictor than that obtained when looking at each predictor individually. The criterion-related validity evidence presented in this report is consistent with the results of previous DAT validity studies, and should reassure admission committees of the continued value of including DAT scores as part of their selection criteria

AAMC: (Association of American Medical Colleges)

Do MCAT scores predict success in medical school?​

The researchers report finding a strong relationship between MCAT scores and students’ success in the first year of medical school.

Probing the exam’s validity was no simple matter. The team studied nearly 8,000 students across the country — and did a deeper dive at 16 medical schools to explore performance in courses ranging from medical ethics to molecular biology.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Kinda depends on your goals. There will be people that get a high DAT but have no desire to specialize so they will coast through dental school and their rank will reflect that. People who are serious about specializing will work to rank high regardless of what their DAT was.

Even though my DAT was high, my classmates are always surprised to hear my undergraduate GPA. I'm not embarrassed by it though, I was able to become a much stronger student in dental school. I needed to, because I want to specialize. I think anyone can turn it around if they are serious about specializing. Just get into dental school first, then worry about your rank.

Personal antidotes aside, yea your DAT score is a good indication of where you’ll rank in the class.

In other words, do students with high dat scores (outliers in their dental school) tend to rank in a higher quartile for their class? Can anyone share any personal experiences?
No. That's not what the DAT is designed to do. Who your preceptors are likely have more influence.

Nope. No one cares about your DAT score, good or bad. Your effort alone will decide your rank.

Reactions: 1 users