Medical How should I deal with this social media issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly unique Firstname Lastname, but there are some other people out there with the same set of names. I am aware of at least one Twitter user with my firstnamelastname handle who posts content I would not want to be associated with. Unfortunately, there is no identifying information in the account that would show it is not me, and I do not have Twitter myself.

I understand that some admissions committees check your online presence as part of the review process. I don't know if there's a good way of bringing this to those committees' attention. Is there anything I can do to separate myself from this?
You should be aware of the result of any general searches of your name on the internet, but this alone cannot be the basis for any judgment unless there is proper verification. Too many people can create spoof accounts and assume your identity improperly to impugn your reputation.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you both! Also to clarify regarding the "John Smith" part, when I say fairly unique, I mean I believe there are exactly two other people with my same set of names. They do come up when you Google the name, however.

If I may ask a follow-up, would it be worthwhile to send a short email to schools explaining the situation, or should I not even draw attention to it?
Not worth mentioning unless prompted, and I don't see why anyone would check if your name is too common.

I have a fairly unique Firstname Lastname, but there are some other people out there with the same set of names. I am aware of at least one Twitter user with my firstnamelastname handle who posts content I would not want to be associated with. Unfortunately, there is no identifying information in the account that would show it is not me, and I do not have Twitter myself.

I understand that some admissions committees check your online presence as part of the review process. I don't know if there's a good way of bringing this to those committees' attention. Is there anything I can do to separate myself from this?

If I were you, I would not do anything about it besides be yourself online if you wish to have social media accounts. If an account is not you, there is no need to do anything buy say so if asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.