How selective is Dartmouth MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a resource that ranks MPH programs in terms of selectivity?

I'd like to go to Dartmouth, will apply, but would first like to get an idea of how competitive an applicant I am.

Thanks much!

Members don't see this ad.

Jaider said:
Can anyone point me to a resource that ranks MPH programs in terms of selectivity?

I'd like to go to Dartmouth, will apply, but would first like to get an idea of how competitive an applicant I am.

Thanks much!

I've been looking all over for information that shows selectivity of MPH programs and haven't found much of anything, so if you find a place to get this kind of information, let me know! I feel like I'm just walking around in the dark at this point.

kcernak said:
I've been looking all over for information that shows selectivity of MPH programs and haven't found much of anything, so if you find a place to get this kind of information, let me know! I feel like I'm just walking around in the dark at this point.

They are not very selective...its actually not a very good program, there are MANY flaws with it---as many of the students this year would say. I highly DO NOT recommend it.

Members don't see this ad :)
AtlChic said:
They are not very selective...its actually not a very good program, there are MANY flaws with it---as many of the students this year would say. I highly DO NOT recommend it.
Is it that bad ? I was thinking of going to Dartmouth with the belief that it was a good program .
Could u just elaborate on the 'flaws' ??

kcernak said:

There is a thread in this forum that gives the list of the top 20 programs from us news..I can't remember which, but if you google MPH Rankings it pops up like three down on the results

Health Disciplines: Public Health
Ranked in 2003*

Rank/School Average assessment
score (5.0 = highest)
1. Johns Hopkins University (MD) 4.9
2. Harvard University (MA) 4.7
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill 4.7
4. University of Washington 4.5
5. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor 4.2
6. Columbia University (NY) 3.9
7. University of California--Berkeley 3.7
University of California--Los Angeles 3.7
9. Emory University (GA) 3.6
10. University of Minnesota--Twin Cities 3.5
11. University of Pittsburgh 3.4
12. University of Texas--Houston Health Sciences Center 3.2
13. Boston University 3.1
Yale University (CT) 3.1
15. University of Alabama--Birmingham 3.0
16. Tulane University (LA) 2.9
University of Illinois--Chicago 2.9
18. St. Louis University 2.5
University of Iowa 2.5
University of Massachusetts--Amherst 2.5
University of South Carolina 2.5

One thing about Dartmouth is that they're just very new, by comparison to the big names. They do have some faculty that have done some cool stuff in the past with public health. I interviewed there last year and was pretty intrigued with their program. They have some ususual/innovative ideas about how to approach public health...and it bugs lots of those in the establishment. I kinda thought the approach was cool, especially considering how crappy the U.S. public health system is under the watch of the big-name establishment.

Remember too that Dartmouth is a fabulous institution, but it is unapologetically an undergraduate school with a couple of graduate programs. As such, it just doesn't garner the big research bucks, the big research names or the big resources of the universities. You won't come out of there with many high-quality contacts, which is arguably the main point of grad school. They're kinda tucked away in the New Hampshire woods with funked-out hippie ideas and a little bit of an f-u attitude to the rest of the world.

That being said, it isn't all that competitive. But then again, my opinion is that public health schools aren't generally competitive anyway. Yeah, Harvard MPH turns some people away...but it isn't like their med school or business schools. Not even close. If you want to go there, can write well and express your desire to go there effectively and cogently...and you have THOUSANDS of dollars to blow on the place, you'll probably get in.

AtlChic said:

its not that selective, but it is getting more and more every year. don't come expecting to do nothing, atleast 3 people were asked to leave at the end of last term. pm me if you want to know more . . .

the_maverick said:
Is it that bad ? I was thinking of going to Dartmouth with the belief that it was a good program .
Could u just elaborate on the 'flaws' ??

I disagree with ATLchick. I am currently a student in Dartmouth's MPH program. It is an excellent program! I will admit that the first term was very challenging, but really what can you expect from a nine month Masters program? The program allows you the opportunity to work side by side professionals in all health fields and as well as the few experts there are in quality improvement. Please take what ATLchick says with a grain of salt, there were many students that didn't make it to second term. Also, regarding ranking... because Dartmouths MPH program is part of the medical school and not in a school of public health it will not be in any of the rankings, but take my word... Dartmouth's program is more progressive than many others. It places an emphasis on public health within the current US health care system and on quality improvement (which many of you will agree, this country desperately needs!).

Does Dartmouth offer financial aid (loans or scholarships)?? I was really interested in the program, but it is pretty expensive. I plan on attending medical school after completing the MPH program. Is it worth the money?

ericado said:
Is it worth the money?

yes, but you could always wait and do a preventative medicine residency and get paid to get your MPH.

FLBound said:
I disagree with ATLchick. I am currently a student in Dartmouth's MPH program. It is an excellent program! I will admit that the first term was very challenging, but really what can you expect from a nine month Masters program? The program allows you the opportunity to work side by side professionals in all health fields and as well as the few experts there are in quality improvement. Please take what ATLchick says with a grain of salt, there were many students that didn't make it to second term. Also, regarding ranking... because Dartmouths MPH program is part of the medical school and not in a school of public health it will not be in any of the rankings, but take my word... Dartmouth's program is more progressive than many others. It places an emphasis on public health within the current US health care system and on quality improvement (which many of you will agree, this country desperately needs!).

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me more? How is the program progressive and what aspects of it do you like and dislike specifically. Do you feel you have the opportunity to make solid contacts? Also, do you like the small town living?? :)

Dartmouths is the only mph i applied to. i'm thinking about doing the nutrition program at columbia and then getting my mph or PhD in a related field. But if there's something amazing about doing the dartmouth program, i may reconsider. (for example, if it's impressive when applying for a PhD program)

I want to learn more about the MPH program at Dartmouth. want to know how approachable the professors are. I come from a school where professors really make sure that students learn without getting discouraged but with much encouragement, and I was horrified to learn how one of my siblings and her classmates get treated by some busy research-oriented professors at their Ivy-League school.

Are their office hours appointment based? or do they leave their doors open? This may be a silly question but is a very important question to me. Also how do students interact with one another? How competitive is the academic atmosphere? How reasonable is their grading scale?

Is it also possible to live without a car during the program? It seems like you may need to go out of campus for their required field experience.

can anyone comment on the above post concerning the dartmouth PH program i'd be very interrested to hear a response!

How old is the Dartmouth MPH program?

I dont know how true this is, but someone told me that Dartmouth Medical school takes many of their MPH students directly into their medical school. Does anyone know how true this statement is?

Since I am interested in both PH and medicine this would be awesome if it were true.

How old is the Dartmouth MPH program?

I dont know how true this is, but someone told me that Dartmouth Medical school takes many of their MPH students directly into their medical school. Does anyone know how true this statement is?

Since I am interested in both PH and medicine this would be awesome if it were true.

If that were the case...that would be awesome! Maybe they have an inclination to accept their own students into the medical school. The first graduating class from the MPH program was in 1994 (I believe). I remember reading tidbit somewhere on their website. So, it is a fairly new program.

I got accepted into the program as well and I am trying to decided whether or not this is the right path for me.

Hi all

I'm looking to take a year off of medical school to do my MPH at some place and was considering Dartmouth because of the ivy league name and the fact that their website says it can be done in one year.

Anybody know where I can get info on the areas of specialization available to someone who wants to do a 1-year degree? Also, in the professional world, how does school reputation (ie UNC Chapel hill is ranked highly in MPH, but Dartmouth is ivy-league)?

thx

@aajani

I don't know much about Dartmouth, but from reading this board, I have learned that there are many programs that allow you to get your MPH in 1 year if you are a med student or already have a doctorate degree. I think most of them are for post MD's though. Even then, some residencies allow or even pay for you to get an MPH. I know that preventative and sometimes internal medicine residencies do it.

Otherwise, if you're just looking to take a year off, Dartmouth seems like a good option. But there may be others out there too.

Hi all

I'm looking to take a year off of medical school to do my MPH at some place and was considering Dartmouth because of the ivy league name and the fact that their website says it can be done in one year.

Anybody know where I can get info on the areas of specialization available to someone who wants to do a 1-year degree? Also, in the professional world, how does school reputation (ie UNC Chapel hill is ranked highly in MPH, but Dartmouth is ivy-league)?

thx

In the Hopkins MPH class, there are around 40 students taking a break between their 3rd and 4th years at various medical schools. Approximately 50% of the class are either M.D.'s or medical students. The 11 month year runs from July through May, so it synchronizes perfectly with the medical year. There are 10 specialized tracks available, although many students opt to customize their curriculum, choosing from over 300 courses available over five 8-week terms. One does not need to determine an area of specialization until midway through the summer, in contrast to most MPH programs where you declare your area when applying to the school.

Last edited: