How reliable are Doximity rankings for Radiation Oncology Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
As rank lists are becoming finalized, it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate programs, particularly if location, "fit," and all other factors may be relatively equivalent. How reliable are Doximity rankings to help differentiate great programs from moderate and poor programs? If there are not reliable, what are better alternatives or methods that is publicly available to use to help learn more about a program's reputation in the radiation oncology community?

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, I would look the the last several pages of this thread Rad onc rankings. There a lot of opinions from residents/faculty and you can a better sense of the "reputation."

There is some truth to doximity but you have to be careful because they are based on how many votes each program receives, and faculty can vote for their own program (this is the reason why some of the newer programs are ranked higher than they should be).

As rank lists are becoming finalized, it is becoming increasingly difficult to differentiate programs, particularly if location, "fit," and all other factors may be relatively equivalent. How reliable are Doximity rankings to help differentiate great programs from moderate and poor programs? If there are not reliable, what are better alternatives or methods that is publicly available to use to help learn more about a program's reputation in the radiation oncology community?

I would take minimal to no stock on Doximity rankings.

Several of my colleagues at various institutions (including big name places) have forwarded me emails showing their chairperson and/or program director requesting all faculty and residents to vote their program at the top, irrespective of true place in Rad Onc world.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would take minimal to no stock on Doximity rankings.

Several of my colleagues at various institutions (including big name places) have forwarded me emails showing their chairperson and/or program director requesting all faculty and residents to vote their program at the top, irrespective of true place in Rad Onc world.

I have no personal experience but also heard the same thing, which I thought was just an exaggeration. Can you vote more than once (either way it seems silly but if not then won’t the biggest program with the most votes always win?) Is this like a “Facebook” for doctors or something?

I have no personal experience but also heard the same thing, which I thought was just an exaggeration. Can you vote more than once (either way it seems silly but if not then won’t the biggest program with the most votes always win?) Is this like a “Facebook” for doctors or something?

Yes, the biggest programs inherently have an advantage b/c of increased number of potential voters but not everyone votes.

On the other hand, smaller programs who have a 100% voting percentage can similarly scew the rankings.

Either way, deciding programs based on one’s internal value system ranking is the way to go.

After a decade in the job market, this whole notion is absurd. Go to a location you want to be in and where you will be treated well. Is there really a dufus out there who thinks that if he went to upitt/Wisconsin/Maryland/Fox Chase vs Stanford/UCSF/upenn it will make any type of difference for career in academics or private practice. Your personality and research will matter so much more for academic jobs (and you will have plenty of research opportunities in any decent program). For private practice, they just care about personlity..

After a decade in the job market, this whole notion is absurd. Go to a location you want to be in and where you will be treated well. Is there really a dufus out there who thinks that if he went to upitt/Wisconsin/Maryland/Fox Chase vs Stanford/UCSF/upenn it will make any type of difference for career in academics or private practice. Your personality and research will matter so much more for academic jobs (and you will have plenty of research opportunities in any decent program). For private practice, they just care about personlity..

Also for aspiring residents, think carefully about the personality of the attendings at each program. Although an interview day may not be enough time to determine this, your attendings will likely be the largest factor in your overall happiness during residency.

I remember being so obsessed with these rankings back when I was in medical school, and now I completely agree with Ricky Scott. Meanwhile the job market is crumbling, our field is in decline, and there are med students who are still playing the top 10 vs other game. It just seems so, odd.

To answer the OP directly though, doximity rankings are worth nothing in terms of figuring out quality of the residency programs.

Reactions: 1 user

:smack:

I remember being so obsessed with these rankings back when I was in medical school, and now I completely agree with Ricky Scott. Meanwhile the job market is crumbling, our field is in decline, and there are med students who are still playing the top 10 vs other game. It just seems so, odd.

To answer the OP directly though, doximity rankings are worth nothing in terms of figuring out quality of the residency programs.

I think part of the problem is that so many of our peers going into residency haven't functioned much outside of academia and have blinders on. They were focused on getting into the highest ranked college, then the highest ranked med school, so naturally next is the highest ranked residency. And what comes after that - the highest ranked job? I guess it's no surprise that many seek academic careers in the biggest institutions because that's the pinnacle of success that everyone can look at and identify, right? Where in that succession of next steps was the part where we learned to evaluate value? Where was it that we took a step back and asked what our own personal life goals were and made our own rankings in order to achieve them? Are some life goals ranked higher than others?

We have countless medical students with their heads stuck in the sand refusing to believe that anything posted on this forum is true. So this worry about residency rankings is not surprising.

Well, I guess i shouldn't find it surprising anyway. I have personally witnessed highly educated colleagues forego paying back student loans to "invest" in bitcoin. Am I surprised they also don't understand the real investment they made in their medical education and say "the job market is fine!" and not understand the very bad deal they made with their first employment agreement? With the 24/7 news cycle of sensationalist trash on TV, idiotic clickbait bombardment online, comments made by random people on twitter being used to masquerade uninformed opinion as legitimate journalism, and everybody educated or not just buying into it left and right, I suppose nothing really much surprises me anymore. The ad for the Caribbean medical school at the bottom of the page? Totally normal! Fine! I bet they even take bitcoin for tuition.

Or maybe we're all too busy focusing on more important things, like rad bio pathways, to see what's really going on.

Back to the OP: If you are a damn-the-torpedos type still hellbent on going into rad onc, I'd pick the most stable residency in the general region you eventually hope to be in with the least malignant personalities and work environment with the least likelihood of getting shut down. I would say avoid programs where people fail their boards, but that's every program now. Going to a malignant big name program just for the name is a poor life choice unless you are 100% focused on going into (perhaps gambling is a better term) "real" academics, and even then it's iffy. Beyond that your success is going to depend on the value you bring to the table and your personality.

Reactions: 3 users
Best advice I can give is to ask current residents at places you interview if they are happy. Not only will they be able to give a sense of the QOL during residency, they will also be acutely aware of where previous graduates have gotten jobs. You would be surprised how honest residents are... in truth, they have very little incentive to lie. Big name places are helpful for going into academics, as you will have access to big names who can call other big names to get you a job. If you are interested in PP or hospital owned practice etc... probably best to find a mid-sized program in the right city with alumni who have gotten jobs locally.

Reactions: 1 user
If you hear things like...

"Most of our education is self lead or peer lead."

"There is usually an attending at our didactic sessions."

"We're trying to formalize a career/research mentorship program."

"Program director X is a great guy/gal. Really, very nice."

"Research opportunities? We have an extensive database of patients who have been treated?"

"Of course we cover each others' rotation when they're on vacation."

...probably best to run away.

Assess body language and identify pauses to search for diplomatic answers. Most residents won't gaslight their program in an interview setting or via email, etc... But damning with faint praise is fair game.