How relevant is MCAT to MS1 materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaion

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am applying to med school in my country where MCAT is optional (as I can opt for other admission tests such as GAMSAT/BMAT/UCAT).

Just curious how relevant are the MCAT stuff for MS1/2 study.

I am ok to work hard on MCAT to supplement my application if they are related and helpful to my MS1 study.

I did not study biology/biochemistry previously so I cannot really compare it myself and I have to learn all these from scratch.

I understand every school has different curriculum but I guess it is still helpful to hear different experiences.

Thank you so much guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished 2nd year and MCAT material is pretty low yield for your first two years. In fact, I’d say almost nothing on the MCAT was relevant for 2nd year. You could probably do just fine in med school without knowing anything from the MCAT, it would just be a lot more studying because none of it would be review. Other than basic chemistry, everything was pretty much taught from the ground up. As for which sections of the MCAT that will help you the most in 1st year, id say biochem>anatomy>biology I>physiology>Immunology>acid/base chemistry. The biology/biochem section of the MCAT is the only relevant section for med school. CARS was useless, 90% of psyc/sociology was useless, 90% of Chem/physics was also useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks a lot guys.

In that case, can I also ask how relevant are the 2 chemistry/biology courses and 1 biochemistry course that is required for med school admission in the US?

I would guess this is what covered in MCAT and they are not really relevant either. Maybe only 20% of the materials will be used?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot guys.

In that case, can I also ask how relevant are the 2 chemistry/biology courses and 1 biochemistry course that is required for med school admission in the US?

I would guess this is what covered in MCAT and they are not really relevant either. Maybe only 20% of the materials will be used?

You'll go in depth into cell bio/microanatomy your 1st semester along with biochem. Rest of the stuff is useless imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot guys.

Take the chem, biochem & basic biology...med school will cover all of biochem in a couple of weeks, and you'll need the chem as a background or you'll have to do some outside catch up work just to know what the basics are. They throw the material at you so fast that you don't want to have to go back and teach yourself the basic chemistry. The first biology is helpful for the basics of cells, genetics, etc.

Reactions: 1 users