How relevant does research need to be to your residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snapdad

Rock and Roll Doctor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I just started my first year of med school, and am exploring some possible research avenues for next summer. I'm hoping to go into radiology, and would like to do some research along those lines. Here's the wrinkle: Based on my background (cognitive neuroscience), I was referred to a researcher in the psych dept. at my school's main campus who uses imaging techniques (EEG, MRI) to study brain function during idea generation. This is really interesting stuff, and it is very close to what I did in undergrad, but my concern is that it's not "direct medicine" in terms of having something related to my (hopefully) eventual specialty for residency applications. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I'd say that if you are working in a related field it is ok. Seems like you'll use MRI in your research, so I'd go for it.

good luck
lf

Its related. if you like it, go for it. some people like clinical (hand raised) and some like bench. the key is to do something and get it published. learn how to write an IRB etc....

Very cool...I appreciate the input! A friend of mine who is applying for rads residencies right now said basically the same thing too, so I think I'll go for it. Thanks again! :thumbup: :)