any work in college relevant for residency apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sincity college

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, would cell-bio research (2nd author publication), non-published clinical case study or a volunteer trip abroad to Africa be of any worthwhile consideration in residency applications? or is like med school apps, where h.s. work was discarded?

Members don't see this ad.

yupp!!! i was very pleased to find out that your college stuff counts for residency and all that!!! my adviser said that an entire paragraph of the deans letter will be devoted to college stuff

depends. At my program, nobody would care about any of that stuff. All that is reviewed is the med school transcript, board scores, and letters.

I was just wondering, would cell-bio research (2nd author publication), non-published clinical case study or a volunteer trip abroad to Africa be of any worthwhile consideration in residency applications? or is like med school apps, where h.s. work was discarded?
It probably depends somewhat on the field in which you apply, but my general answer is "yes". Research (in which you played a meaningful role, even if unpublished) probably counts, and publications in peer-reviewed journals always count. And I tell my own advisees that college extracurriculars may be helpful as well. What they tell me is that the applicant was able to multitask and have some balance in his/her life, but still did well enough academically to be accepted to a good medical school. And they may tell me that the applicant's college peers thought enough of him/her that they elected or appointed the applicant to a position of responsibility. Given the same degree of intellectual "fire power", I would rather have a resident who was well-rounded and had good interpersonal skills. But there may be specialties or specific residencies where that might not be as important.

Several things from my undergrad came up in my radonc interviews: my major (chemical engineering), my research (not radonc related), and several of my EC and employment activities.

same thing here, some of interviewers were more curious about my undergrad published research then my medical school published research... I think people generally tend to be amused/curious by stuff other than medicine.. are not so much impressed about clinical research...
anyhows word of advice please freshen up on your undergrad research.. caus damn they like to ask some detailed questions about it, and honestly I can barely remember stuff from a month I didnt remember the little details about research done in undergrad 4 years ago... so ironically after being look like a idiot on my one interview, i had to go back and read the entire paper which I was first author for.

Publications never "go away" imho; they belong on your professional CV regardless of when they were published.

The rest of that stuff? Gets a big :shrug: from me. I'd be shocked if it strengthened your app at all, and if you put too much fluff into your application you risk diluting the whole thing.