How realistic is it to maintain a 3.25 gpa while in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blikimore

Reaction score
I was accepted to Pitt this cycle which is a top 3 choice of mine and they offered me a scholarship for 20k a year. The only thing is I would have to maintain a 3.25 gpa to renew my scholarship each spring. How realistic is this as a dental student, considering I’m someone who takes a little longer to understand concepts and have never been a straight A type of student. I just don’t want to take the offer to go to their school and then end up not being able to maintain that high of a gpa and spend an extra 80k. I could also just go to my cheaper option which is my state school DCG, where I wouldn’t need a scholarship & would be a little cheaper than Pitt even with the scholarship each year. But it was my last choice out of my top three three choices in terms of a personal fit. Or I could go to temple which is my number one choice but they would be a little more expensive than Pitt without the scholarship but at least I wouldn’t have to stress trying to make that high gpa requirement. So I’m kind of stuck on whether it’s worth it to go to Pitt and stress over trying to maintain that gpa requirement, or go to one of the other two options and not worry about any gpa requirements just passing.

Members don't see this ad.

It would depend on the school as they're all very different with how they calculate grades. Probably better to find a student there and ask them. Doesn't sound too tough though.

Not too hard, that was my GPA when I graduated from my state school. I didn’t even try hard, I just did the minimal to pass for most classes. Of course my class rank was low with that GPA but no one cares now.