All Branch Topic (ABT) How Pass/Fail schools are viewed in Military residency selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icantcomeupwithone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to several amazing P/F schools such as Columbia, UConn, and UCLA, but now I’m concerned how a P/F curriculum would be judged by the board during military residency selection (I heard they don't care what school you're from). Even though all these P/F schools have high specialization rate, I don't know if it will be the same in the military.

Of course P's won’t be as good as straight A’s, but would attending a P/F school kill my chance of specializing/get into an AEGD/GPR in the military? Do I still have a good chance given I have no red flags?

Also, if we can’t stand out through grades, what can we do to strengthen our application for selection?

Any feedback from any branch is appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty sure each branch requires you to apply for an AEGD/GPR at the very least, while some (Army/Air Force if I am correct), require you to actually go through with the AEGD/GPR. Hopefully someone with more experience can shed more light on this.

To your other point, if you are hoping for general dentistry, go to a school that will make you a strong clinician. Schools with medical curricula may not give you that. Nevertheless, go where you think you will be happiest. This is key. I believe that you will seek out more opportunities when you put yourself in an environment that makes you happy to wake up each morning.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the feedback!
Doesn't matter that much.
Don't they want numbers to work with? But I'm really curious whether a P looks better or worse than a B. Thanks for the input!

Which branch will start using the ADAT? I heard the test is still new so I don't know how much weight is given to them. Do they do the GRE for Ortho (If there's even spots for it).

I am pretty sure each branch requires you to apply for an AEGD/GPR at the very least, while some (Army/Air Force if I am correct), require you to actually go through with the AEGD/GPR. Hopefully someone with more experience can shed more light on this.

To your other point, if you are hoping for general dentistry, go to a school that will make you a strong clinician. Schools with medical curricula may not give you that. Nevertheless, go where you think you will be happiest. This is key. I believe that you will seek out more opportunities when you put yourself in an environment that makes you happy to wake up each morning.
I think the Air Force has that "requirement" but the other two branches don't. I wish to do an AEGD since I don't want to limit my scope when I practice in the military. I am just afraid that P/F school would weaken my chance as I will lose 2 categories (GPA/rank) to distinguish myself (Since I am a gunner. However, I'm sick of gunning. I just want to live in peace). I hope to specialize but I am fine with general dentistry. I am leaning toward Columbia simply because they had problem with clinical and are making an effort to improve that (from what I heard). Schools that strives to improve what they lack are the ones that I'm very interested in joining. That is a great advice. Thank you!