How often do you violate your duty hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How often do you violate your hours? (pick the closest selection)

• never

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • < once a month (rare)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • once a month (infrequent)

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • once a week (common)

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • > once a week (frequent)

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters

bannie22

Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a non ACGME/residency based survey because we know the level of honesty and effort most put into those.

Be in > 80/wk, or >28 hrs, or q2 call, or >8hrs off etc, whatever the restrictions are for your training year.

aka if you were to log your hours honestly, how many times would the system notify you of a violation every week?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't violated duty hours for the program. That is, if I worked what I was supposed to work, I would never violate hours.

I have, however, come in for meetings and research of my own free will on days off or when I'm on nights because I think it's important for me. The program neither requires nor encourages me to do these things, and I don't report that I stayed until 10:00am after working til 6:00am, then coming back 6 hours later for a meeting before my next shift starts 4 hours after that because it's my choice not to miss those experiences. For straight forward work, including times when I have to stay late to get work on the wards or in clinic done (notes, discharge summaries, etc), I haven't ever violated duty hours.