How much vacation per year as orthopod?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shildebrecht

Ragnar
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the Anesthiology forum I learned that in that specialty it is not unheard of to get 12 weeks of vacation a year. (I'm talking post residency).

In Orthopaedics, is it common for doctors to get this much time off (over a 12 month period)?

Members don't see this ad.

shildebrecht said:
In the Anesthiology forum I learned that in that specialty it is not unheard of to get 12 weeks of vacation a year. (I'm talking post residency).

In Orthopaedics, is it common for doctors to get this much time off (over a 12 month period)?

You can get as much vacation in any specialty that you want. The issue is finding a group with which this is an option. Note that in many specialties (particularly primary care) it is not in your patients best interest for you to be gone a significant amount of the time. In technical specialties, you really don't want a lot of time off when you are first starting...you have to build a patient base (often by earining the respect of your patient providers/referring docs) and you have skills to hone.

All this being said, the average orthopaedist probably has about 8 weeks of paid time off per year. Check MGMA stats for the best comparison on this issue (and avoid the heresay).

Members don't see this ad :)
you can take as much as you want in most groups as long as you pay your overhead and aren't on call.