how much sleep do you get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question for current neurosurgery residents. how much sleep do you get on average in a night? im considering neurosurgery and while i dont mind spending a lot of time in the hospital, im not so sure if i can deal with chronic sleep deprivation. how much sleep a night do you get, and how many days a month do you get off? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i have a question for current neurosurgery residents. how much sleep do you get on average in a night? im considering neurosurgery and while i dont mind spending a lot of time in the hospital, im not so sure if i can deal with chronic sleep deprivation. how much sleep a night do you get, and how many days a month do you get off? thanks

yah its also same my question exactly

Members don't see this ad :)
Around 6 hours of sleep on average. Some nights no sleep. Some nights more. Usually I get 4 days off in the month.

I get two weekends off a month. Nights I'm not on call I get 4-6 hours. Nights I am on call I usually get around 0-4 hours, but what I do get is constantly interrupted by phone calls. We take home call, but I've had weekends where I have been at the hospital almost all weekend. It gets a little easier once you become a chief.

If you have doubts about sleep deprivation, you might want to try a few rotations and take call as if you're a resident. You will learn about what you're capable of.