How much relation with nephrology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do urologists interact with nephrologists a lot? How related is urology to renal physiology? Do urologists must have a certain amount of physiological knowledge?
Im asking this because I really enjoyed renal physiology and physiopathology when I studied it.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

25 views and not a single response!!! :eek:
Oh c'mon ypu guys!! Im pretty sure at least one of the whole 25 that read this post is capable of answering my question, and you obviously have some time since you opened and read it!!

In my 3 months of uro rotations, I never dealt with a nephrologist. Didn't care too either. I actually hated nephrology when I experienced it which is funny since I love urology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response man.
Why do you hate nephrology? Seems like a very cool field to me.

I'm just not interested in treating the problems most of those patients have. The nephrology clinic I rotated through dealt mostly with hypertension and edema. I found it boring.

I'm just not interested in treating the problems most of those patients have. The nephrology clinic I rotated through dealt mostly with hypertension and edema. I found it boring.

i actually felt the same way when doing my renal rotation and I really liked renal phys....honestly i thought it would be working up crazy electrolyte imbalances but instead it was just writing dialysis orders for diabetic/hypertensive nephropathy.....borrrrrring.

i actually felt the same way when doing my renal rotation and I really liked renal phys....honestly i thought it would be working up crazy electrolyte imbalances but instead it was just writing dialysis orders for diabetic/hypertensive nephropathy.....borrrrrring.

yeah it sounds kinda boring

I try to avoid Nephrology as well...seems to be they try to write off the majority of renal failure on obstruction, even with films showing no evidence of hydronephrosis/hydroureter....they seem to think a stent will cure everything...nothing like ditching off responsibilty eh?

We find ourselves often stenting pts, if for no other reason to prove obstruction is not the eitology of their renal problems.

Urologists are surgeons and nephrologists are medicine guys. As a urologist, it's expected that you have a good level of renal physiology knowledge. But, urologists have no way near the level that nephrologists have/should have.

And yes, they always want to say that a cause of renal failure is secondary to obstruction regardless.

I try to avoid Nephrology as well...seems to be they try to write off the majority of renal failure on obstruction, even with films showing no evidence of hydronephrosis/hydroureter....they seem to think a stent will cure everything...nothing like ditching off responsibilty eh?

We find ourselves often stenting pts, if for no other reason to prove obstruction is not the eitology of their renal problems.

Remember the treatment of obstruction is not dialysis. If I even have a small suspicion of obstruction I will relieve that before sending the patient for dialysis.