How much GSurg does a practicing urologist remember?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that many of the uro programs have switched or are already 5 year programs, but for those residents who went through the 2+4 urology programs, how much general surgery do you still remember. I asked because I wonder whether you would still be able to do gsurg type procedures if you went on an overseas mission trip? I understand that you are most skilled in urology, but does the Gsurg training stay with you?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that many of the uro programs have switched or are already 5 year programs, but for those residents who went through the 2+4 urology programs, how much general surgery do you still remember. I asked because I wonder whether you would still be able to do gsurg type procedures if you went on an overseas mission trip? I understand that you are most skilled in urology, but does the Gsurg training stay with you?

What type of general surgery procedures were you thinking of?

The bigger question is, how often is the urology resident who is doing his general surgery months during those first two years ever in the OR to do anything but the skin closure. I think that, often times, they're not actually DOING the cases. And that makes sense - the chance to do the most in a gen surg case ought to go to the gen surg resident, not the urology resident.

I rotated through a 2+4 urology program - the 2nd year was split up 50% uro, 50% gen surg. During the urology part, the 2nd year residents were doing their own TURPs, their own TURBTs, their own retrograde pyelograms, their own cystos. During the gen surg part, they were answering pages, running the floors, seeing consults - i.e., barely in the OR. This may not be true everywhere, but I don't think that this program was a complete anomaly in this.

thanks for the info. I had no idea that the weren't in the OR very much. I saw a video on OR live where the urologist made a neobladder from bowel, so I thought that they had learned how to work on the bowel those first 2 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the info. I had no idea that the weren't in the OR very much. I saw a video on OR live where the urologist made a neobladder from bowel, so I thought that they had learned how to work on the bowel those first 2 years.

No, I think that they learn to work on the bowel during the last few years of residency and during the course of a urology oncology fellowship, if they do one.

I also believe that, in general, a urologist isn't going to be doing those huge cases involving bowel resections (i.e. neobladders, ileal conduits, etc.) unless they did an oncology fellowship. A general urologist isn't likely to be doing those huge cancer cases - they're very time and labor intensive, and the patients tend to be fairly sick. It's not for everyone.

I don't really remember too much from gen surg that I would say is applicable. I did a bowel case with a gen surg guy helping out. He had some interesting tips about how to handle the bowel. So, that was beneficial.

I'm only going to do general urology, but I do see myself doing cystectomies with neobladders or ileal loops. I feel like I've had enough training to do it well and be able to manage the comps. We do about 1-2 cystectomies a week at my residency program. I feel like I'll be able to handle it.

Now, will I do a hernia repair? Only if it involves doing an orchiopexy or hydrocele on a kid. And then, I'll probably be more nervous than when I'm doing a cystectomy! I hate peds...