How much of a "generalist" are anesthesiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m a current first year MD student who has an interest in anesthesiology and I was hoping that this post could answer some questions I have. I’m a non traditional student who became (re)interested in medicine through the thought of being an ER Doc. I loved the idea of being a jack of all trades, who knew a little bit of everything rather than being an expert in the left elbow or something. I liked the idea of being able to handle a variety of emergency situations. I also liked the thought of being able to take care of a wide variety of patient complaints, patient ages, etc. Due to a number of reasons I’ve become less interested in ER and have become more interested in anesthesia.

I’ve heard the saying that anesthesiologists are the internists/intensivists of the OR, or that they need to know the first couple pages of every disease and I’m wondering how truthful this is? You all take care of a wide variety of patients and get them safely through many different types of surgery. I imagine that requires some broad medical knowledge, but I’m not entirely sure how that translates in an anesthesia context though to be honest. How do vascular cases differ from neuro cases and how do those differ from cardiac cases or gi cases etc?

I know that I don’t actually know what I like, but so far throughout first year I’ve loved cardio/pulm (but also most other blocks to be honest), physiology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, etc. I love looking at lab values, ekgs, imaging, and other things like that. I could potentially see myself in internal medicine, ER, critical care, or who knows what else. I’m definitely interested in anesthesiology and I want to learn more.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

How untraditional are you?
You have time until you decide.
I tell every first/second year students, you will know much better when you start your clinical rotations.

I think whatever your generalization of the field is pretty true at least for people who observe the filed. But you won’t really know any different until you actually get a few rotations under your belt.

Reactions: 2 users