How much more difficult is it to get into a T20 med school if you have 2-3 Bs on your transcript as compared to all As?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ab6704

Reaction score
These Bs are in prerequisite classes, for reference. Is it really that much more difficult to get into a top medical school with a B?

Members don't see this ad.

🤦‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Literally, no difference. Most people with all As don’t get into T20s.

The caveat being if As in those classes would have made you valedictorian or something. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve seen a valedictorian get into HMS despite a pretty typical profile aside from the award. I’m sure that she also had a high MCAT but no pubs or anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These Bs are in prerequisite classes, for reference. Is it really that much more difficult to get into a top medical school with a B?
No. Just keep in mind that your job is to get into A medical school, not a merely a T20 (which will have some 30 schools on the list anyway).

Reactions: 2 users
The difference is the difference in your final GPA. Worry about the end product, not individual data points.

Reactions: 7 users
A couple Bs will show that you are not perfect, and not doing everything possible to attain perfection (including dropping courses where you aren't earning an A). Not going all out to maintain perfection is actually a plus in the eyes of some adcom. An expectation of perfection in one's self can be toxic and dangerous in medical school.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
As I've said before, a 4.0 is like virginity, there usually comes a good time to lose it.

But what if you don’t lose either? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: 1 user
I had several Cs and am currently at a top 20... Your GPA is just one part of your application. Upward trend is also a thing.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You can always retake a class, you can't relive a great party. All As says you don't know how to have fun.

/s (before all of you neurotic 4.0 SDNers attack me)

• Haha
Acceptance to medical school (even T20 programs) is about so much more than 3 Bs. Look forward. Not back. Get the A's going forward Get the MCAT. Get excellent clinical exposure, community service, and research. Present a compelling case for acceptance via your app. And you'll have a chance.

An expectation of perfection in one's self can be toxic and dangerous in medical school. life
seriously, y'all. you will make mistakes. sometimes it'll be burnt scrambled eggs. sometimes it'll affect someone's life. learn how to deal with challenges and failures and have some kind of experience with it before you get to the big stuff

• Care

How about this —> “BE well-rounded with all of your pre-reqs, including other things that will qualify you, such as a good MCAT, QUALITY-over-QUANITITY volunteering, and shadowing under people whose careers you’re interested in learning more about.”

The right school for you will want you. Opportunity will come when you’re prepared for it with everything you’ve done, not just the few classes that you heard you needed.

You’ve earned your grades but there’s other parts of your life to live. You will be fine. You are human & so will your adcoms be.

23,000 students matriculated to US medical and only 3,000 go to T20. So 90% don’t go to T20. I didn’t and I matched into my first choice program and specialty.