How much more competitive do you see podiatry in 5 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omare61

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
10 years? 20?

We all know that MD is very competitive and is increasing. We all know that DO is now almost as competitive as MD 10+ years ago. How competitive do you think podiatry would be in the next 5, 10 and 20 years?

Does anyone have stats/charts on the podiatry applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

10 years? 20?

We all know that MD is very competitive and is increasing. We all know that DO is now almost as competitive as MD 10+ years ago. How competitive do you think podiatry would be in the next 5, 10 and 20 years?

Does anyone have stats/charts on the podiatry applicants.

imo...

Stats have been steady from 2007-2011...

http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/Matriculant_GPA.pdf

http://www.aacpm.org/html/statistics/PDFs/MatrStats/Matriculant_MCAT.pdf

But as with any professional program, with increased student exposure comes increased competitiveness... you see it in DO, NP, Nurse Anesth, etc. Currently, pod admission standards are where DO was back when no one knew what the hell a DO was (80's-90's?). Given a continued linear progression, pod will be as competitive as DO is now...in 20 years or so (although I think it will be sooner than that). As a side note, MD will eventually be so competitive that something will have to give... drop in admission standards or opening of new schools, or WWIII. Like any bubble, it eventually bursts.

Podiatry is at an intersection between admissions standards and the scope of practice (heavy surgical bias). The admin standards are still low although the training has never been more rigorous or sophisticated. Eventually, the admission standards will match the complexity of the scope of practice because of increased student awareness. So, I believe NOW is the best time to start podiatry...before you need a 3.5 to even be considered for an interview, let alone admission.

Ehh i kinda disagree. When my pods i shadowed went to school 15 years ago admission was relatively the same. I mean lets not kid ourselves, people with a 2.75 and 20mcat still get in.

The problem isn't time, the problem is lack of applicants and interest in the field.

Unless the world goes through a giant cognitive switch in the next 5 years people will still view feet..... as feet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ehh i kinda disagree. When my pods i shadowed went to school 15 years ago admission was relatively the same. I mean lets not kid ourselves, people with a 2.75 and 20mcat still get in.

The problem isn't time, the problem is lack of applicants and interest in the field.

Unless the world goes through a giant cognitive switch in the next 5 years people will still view feet..... as feet.

For sure, ppl with low stats are always being admitted. And there ain't nothing sexy about mycosed feet. But 2.75/20 MCAT is not the norm...it's the decent GPA/crappy MCAT score students than get admitted mostly (not so much vice-versa from what I see on SDN).

Marketing and publicity is what will make the difference. But these processes takes time to take effect. Once more and more ppl find out what podiatry is really about, more ppl will apply...especially since DO and MD are becoming increasingly competitive and seeing how podiatry is moving away from clipping nails to more elegant reconstructions and above the malleolli scope.

And honestly, there is absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing sexy about being a gynaecologist or urologist or even a dentist...but these are still competitive sub-fields. Why? $$$...plain and simple. If a pod was remunerated like other sub-specialties, FEET would be all the rage. But I digress.

IMHO it sort of depends on what the economy does. If it stays that the health field is the few bright areas it will slowly creep up. I will though admit it is odd of how we have stayed the same, but MD has definitly gone up. DO, PA, CRNA, have really spiked. Years ago I heard PA was a community college program, DO had stats like pod now (now they are closely reaching MD stats), CRNA was such a small field that many got into. The other thing is back in those days to there were other bright options than health care, I think that is what made things easy.

I think a lot of it depends on how well people prepare for the admissions process. Because podiatry school is not as well known as MD/DO or even some nursing programs, many applicants decide to pursue it more last minute. On the other hand, most MD/DO applicants and students I know have been preparing ever since they entered their undergraduate college or even earlier. For example, there aren't many MD/DO students/applicants that I know who haven't taken an MCAT prep course. However, there are many podiatry applicants/students I know that only studied out of a book for a few weeks rather than spending the time and money on a prep course. I think that's a major factor that makes a considerable difference on how well people are scoring and the application statistics. I do think podiatry is becoming more popular though, which will make it more competitive in the future.

The main issue is exposure.
People don't know about podiatric medicine, the first thing they attribute it to is feet + its negative connotation. Many have the assumption that those who pursue pod med has a foot fetish. Though that is far from the truth, its the general consensus amongst pre-meds.

From what I have noticed, podiatry applicants have a decent GPA coupled with a low MCAT or vice versa. I don't think much will change in the next 5 years.

The stats for accepted students in pod school in 2011 were 3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA and 20.7 MCAT... The same year accepted stats for DO were 3.47 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA and 26.7 . Obviously, the MCAT disparity is huge; however, the disparity in GPAs are not the bad considering that DO have grade replacement. If Pod schools can crank up their MCAT requirement to 22+, I personally would not consider these stats terrible since the MCAT itself is not an easy test...

I think it will slowly increase as time goes on but not as fast as other health professions.

Lets face it. Many people are grossed out by feet. Especially the feet we see.

Personally I think cleaning detritus out from between teeth is way worse, but that's just me.

I think that the stats could go up a bit over the next five years. With the revamped residencies I think podiatrists today are much better trained, this should lead to a more diverse and more satisfied patient population. Mostly though, I believe it will come down to whether or not the career continues to become more well known, and whether or not more MD, DO, PA programs open up.

The stats for accepted students in pod school in 2011 were 3.2 cGPA, 3.1 sGPA and 20.7 MCAT... The same year accepted stats for DO were 3.47 cGPA, 3.36 sGPA and 26.7 . Obviously, the MCAT disparity is huge; however, the disparity in GPAs are not the bad considering that DO have grade replacement. If Pod schools can crank up their MCAT requirement to 22+, I personally would not consider these stats terrible since the MCAT itself is not an easy test...

Hmmm...interesting. A 3.47/3.36 is nothing to brag about considering grade replacement. I suppose pod is not that far behind DO, for the time being.

But like you said, the difference in MCAT is stark...which in my mind, is the only objective way to compare applicants. Is it the best way? Should it be the only way? Not by a long shot. But it's universal and the standards are essentially the same from test to test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 26 mcat, I apped to pod school. People in DO school are getting in with 23-24 ranged. Granted the average is 26-27.

Let me now address omare61. This comes down to basic economics, supply and demand. If you want to increase the stats of the accepted applicant pool...

1) Limit Supply
a) Reduce enrollment.
b) Freeze enrollment as population/applicant pool increases.
( A typical MD school has 1200 applicants for 60 slots. )
2) Increase Demand
a) Advertise what a podiatrist is, does, earning potential, and other sexy foot fetish things :). How many times have you heard: there is a "nursing shortage", PA is the "easy way" to be an MD but without the responsibility, your teeth need to get whiter, do you love your animal? Buy x,y,z products for your <insert pet>, 9/10 MDs agree this drug will work for you (ignore the fact the side effects are worse than the affliction).
b) Increase salary of podiatrist (fix reimbursement disparity, allow podiatrists to legally do more high income procedures). If salary.com for example listed podiatrists making $250,000/yr as an average, I am going to venture a guess that the applicant pool will go up just a tad (for better or for worse).
c) Increasing the scope of what a podiatrist can do, this could also increase the demand for a pod (and the salary goes up) due to the larger issue of a shortage of doctors. Hypothetically: surgery wise if a pod specialized in foot/ankle but could take on call other orthopedic issues (salary would go up a lot).
d) Stability. If other professions continue to have problems the applicant pool for podiatrists/other health professionals will increase.

Where do I see it going? Honestly, flat line. I think podiatry is expanding at a rate = to the demand. I think salaries are on the lower side given the # of years you put in compared to some other specialties. I don't see podiatrists advertising their services on TV/radio.

**Everything I typed is based purely on numbers and economics and does not reflect my altruistic side or where I think podiatry should go**

Last edited:
I think podiatry is expanding at a rate = to the demand.*

I agree with everything you said except this line. Diabetes is becoming an epidemic problem and the population of baby boomers entering retirement/old age is exploding. The demand will increase.

I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong, as this is second hand info from the APMSA rep) the APMA is trying to find a way to increase enrollment/increase residency positions to meet these demands.

Please cite "lack of awareness". I heard rumors of new podiatrists getting offered salaries of 130k+ right off the bat at orthopedic groups. I BELIEVE a lot of that comes from increased awareness of who we are and what we can offer the medical world.

the APMA is trying to find a way to increase enrollment/increase residency positions to meet these demands.

I suggest the APMA looks at my post then. :) You want a quick fix? Get podiatrists = legal standing to MD/DO. Salaries will go up. Higher salaries = higher revenue for APMA. APMA can then channel new revenue to peruse research and advertisements.

When word gets out that there is a medical profession out there that is...
1) stable
2) provides decent income
3) respectable
4) has some sexy/attractive things going on
...watch all those applicants come pouring in!

The APMA is not perfect but they have really promoted podiatry well. Look at where the profession was in the recent past? Look at the profession today. What will it be like in 10 years?

The elderly podiatrists carved the younger podiatrists future. They fought in the trenches to make it better today. But unfortunatly, there are a lot of older podiatrists that never completed a residency. They may be great doctors, but the MD community frowns on this. Today all podiatrists complete a 3 year residency. Things will change. (yes I understand that was offensive/cocky to some)

I'm signing off for awhile. I have too much to get done today.

if schools are still accepting students with sub 20 MCAT scores and DAT/GRE scores we will never be taken seriously from the MD/DO community. As soon as standards tighten up everyone benefits.

I definitely agree, we as a profession need to switch to MCAT only. We are not dentists, the DAT should not get you into podiatry.

As a side note, MD will eventually be so competitive that something will have to give... drop in admission standards or opening of new schools, or WWIII. Like any bubble, it eventually bursts.

I disagree with this. MD admissions isn't a bubble because nothing is inflated. MD programs are filling their seats with highly qualified students. The reason they are doing this is because the highly qualified students are there. If no one got a 35 on the MCAT, MD schools wouldn't just not fill there seats with these students. There is no inflation, and realistically no driving force for "something to give."

On a side note, as a patient, I'm a huge fan of the competitiveness of MD school. It means that the brightest minds in the country are going to be the ones trying to heal me. Sounds good to me.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Personally, I feel the schools are the root of the problem with podiatry. It doesn't matter how improved our residency training has become, if schools are still accepting students with sub 20 MCAT scores and DAT/GRE scores we will never be taken seriously from the MD/DO community. As soon as standards tighten up everyone benefits.

Is that the school's fault or the applicant pool... You'd need to probably close 2-3 pod schools (or at least cut 150-200 students nationwide) if you have better numbers. The schools just try to fill their seats. As a related note, I wonder how many people WOULDN'T apply if the pod standards were closer to a 25 MCAT....

I don't think it's in anyone's best interest to only graduate 300 pods a year though either...

I do agree with the DAT/GRE garbage, that's pretty embarrassing IMO.

I disagree with this. MD admissions isn't a bubble because nothing is inflated. MD programs are filling their seats with highly qualified students. The reason they are doing this is because the highly qualified students are there. If no one got a 35 on the MCAT, MD schools wouldn't just not fill there seats with these students. There is no inflation, and realistically no driving force for "something to give."

On a side note, as a patient, I'm a huge fan of the competitiveness of MD school. It means that the brightest minds in the country are going to be the ones trying to heal me. Sounds good to me.

Well, grades are inflated. What...is the human race exponentially evolving into a super-brilliant species that there are more people capable of scoring 36+ on the MCAT/achieving 4.0 GPAs than ever before in our history? Nope.

Expectations are lower now than they have ever been in the modern era (early medicine standards were a joke)-which is why a bachelor's degree is only worth the paper it was printed on. A master's degree will soon follow suit. Not that this will ever happen, but if we assume that admission standards continue to rise, eventually schools will have more 4.0s/36+ MCAT applicants than there are seats. Then what? Base admission on looks?

Giving pod schools official rankings would be a start.

Before you ask why, think about it for for a minute. It's human nature to want the best for ourselves, even if it's just saying you went to the best podiatry school in the nation. What i mean by this is there are people out there that will apply to pod programs if they can definitively say they went to the best or 2nd best pod school in the nation.

Is it silly that people do this? Sure. However throughout history its always been shown that rankings attract people.

Well, grades are inflated. What...is the human race exponentially evolving into a super-brilliant species that there are more people capable of scoring 36+ on the MCAT/achieving 4.0 GPAs than ever before in our history? Nope.

Expectations are lower now than they have ever been in the modern era (early medicine standards were a joke)-which is why a bachelor's degree is only worth the paper it was printed on. A master's degree will soon follow suit. Not that this will ever happen, but if we assume that admission standards continue to rise, eventually schools will have more 4.0s/36+ MCAT applicants than there are seats. Then what? Base admission on looks?

Are you suggesting the MCAT is inflated too...?

I still go back to my old post. If podiatry wants a quick fix.

Make podiatrists legally = MD/DO
fix reimbursement
Make practice uniform from state to state
Invest money in research
Advertise findings
Work on public relations

The gpa's, mcat scores, etc will fix themselves.

I don't know how well gpa measures a persons ability to be a doctor.

Eg.
I went to HS, 3.8 gpa, 1450/1600 SAT, graduated 6th in my class.
Went to engineering school 2.95 gpa
Then I earned a masters degree 3.64 gpa.

(So am I smart or dumb?)

For the hell of it, I took a calculus course at my undergraduate school C+. I took the same course at a local state school. Holy hell A+ and I did very little work. I remember the state school offered "extra credit" during 1 exam. I remember sitting at my desk thinking to myself, "what is extra credit"? Not all schools are the same. Not all majors are the same.

Are there really schools outhere accepting the GRE? I heard the GRE has no science sections on it...

Giving pod schools official rankings would be a start.

Before you ask why, think about it for for a minute. It's human nature to want the best for ourselves, even if it's just saying you went to the best podiatry school in the nation. What i mean by this is there are people out there that will apply to pod programs if they can definitively say they went to the best or 2nd best pod school in the nation.

Is it silly that people do this? Sure. However throughout history its always been shown that rankings attract people.

While rankings would be nice, I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Do you mean to suggest that someone might pass on Stanford med (usually about #10 depending on which rankings you go by) to attend DMU pod? (consensus #1 in the super scientific SDN pod poll, meaning it was in most people's top 3 but not necessarily #1, but you get the idea..sort of..)? I don't think so.

Also, following that logic, wouldn't a significant amount people also apply less to the "lower schools", essentially offsetting amount of MD/DO ready applicants/low self-esteem people applying to the "top schools"?

Furthermore, #2 of a sample size of 9 = not really significant. But it would be pretty bad***** to say you went to #1:smuggrin:

Furthermore, #2 of a sample size of 9 = not really significant. But it would be pretty bad***** to say you went to #1:smuggrin:

All I know is when I hopefully graduate in 4 years from Kent, I will be telling people I graduated from one of the top 9 podiatry schools in the nation, if not the world! :naughty:

While rankings would be nice, I'm not sure I follow your logic here. Do you mean to suggest that someone might pass on Stanford med (usually about #10 depending on which rankings you go by) to attend DMU pod? (consensus #1 in the super scientific SDN pod poll, meaning it was in most people's top 3 but not necessarily #1, but you get the idea..sort of..)? I don't think so.

Also, following that logic, wouldn't a significant amount people also apply less to the "lower schools", essentially offsetting amount of MD/DO ready applicants/low self-esteem people applying to the "top schools"?

That's not what I said at all. There are 137 md programs in the US ( i think), so going to a school ranked 10th, would still put you in the top 7% of the allo world.

What i do mean though, is there are individuals out there when given the choice betweeen going to a number 1 podiatry school or a kinda crummy non-ranked md school that would pick the pod school to say they went to the best something in the nation.

It'll get hard as it gains more notoriety. But, I think things will stay the same for now. Out of all the health professions, I'm most likely the only one in my school thinking of doing podiatry. It's sort of shunned at my school as, we all should be the doctor or the dentist. But why is it like this, well, socieal standards at my school has produced Doctors, Lawyers, Nurses,Dentists, Physicists,and Chemists. I actually have heard of one kid who has graduated and went to Scholls. But oher than that, it's pure ignorance now. My health advisor is really ignorant. One day I told her that I'm looking at Pod, and that they can do surgery as well as having a practice. She said afterwords, that Pods can't do surgery.:mad:

It's just no spotlight, plus the notion of being a Doctor is what's hurting Pod. I forcast that it'll be hard to get into medical school as the times progress, and that podiary might see a boom. But, I doubt it as everything has a bubble.

The way I would look at it is: I graduated a medical school in the USA!!!!!

Yeah, MD schools are different since there are 141. So if you do go to one of the bottom 10 or so MD schools you may have less of a chance to get residency b/c they may try to place the top tier schools first. But I think for DPM schools it may be different since there are only 9 and according to the AACPM site there were 540 graduates from the 9 schools in 2011. While there are about 16,000-17,000+ graduating from M.D schools every year. I feel as if it may be easier to place 540 podiatrist around the nation than 17,000 MDs.

It would be cool to have a ranking, but if you used a ranking system I would find that it would bring more issues than solutions. I would rather go to a good DPM school than a low tier MD school (or one of the Caribbean medical schools). Also, it is hard to rank graduate or doctoral schools b/c of the sample size and the amount of students in each class. Hard to compared Arizona's podiatry school vs. NY or Temple since one has 40 students and the other has 100.

That's not what I said at all. There are 137 md programs in the US ( i think), so going to a school ranked 10th, would still put you in the top 7% of the allo world.

What i do mean though, is there are individuals out there when given the choice betweeen going to a number 1 podiatry school or a kinda crummy non-ranked md school that would pick the pod school to say they went to the best something in the nation.

With all due respect, I highly doubt that anybody is going to choose a number 1 podiatry school over a "crummy, non-ranked MD school." They will choose a profession based on what they can see themselves doing, not the prestige of the two DIFFERENT types of schools. I'm applying both DO and DPM, and will make a decision based off of which profession I feel suits me best, not which school is higher ranked in each respective field.

I also agree with the fact that DPM schools accept GRE/DAT scores is ridiculous. All it does for the profession is reinforce the notion that it's a backup for those who couldn't gain acceptance into another program. Took the DAT but couldn't get into dental school? Come on over and join podiatry...It's a ridiculous policy that screams desperateness. Podiatry is not a dental specialty nor is it a 'graduate program', it is podiatric MEDICAL school and should accept none other than the MCAT, being that the M in MCAT does stand for medical...

You're forgetting there are people that go into medicine for money still. Theoretically going to a school ranked number 1 should help you land a better residency and a higher income.

This is all my opinion, but I fully believe giving pod school rankings will attract people.

Also as a Side note, DO schools aren't ranked either. So you can't pick between DO and DPM based off rank.

You're forgetting there are people that go into medicine for money still. Theoretically going to a school ranked number 1 should help you land a better residency and a higher income.

Unfortunately you are correct there! I know too many kids who during their freshmen year the answer to the age old question of "why medicine?" lots of the catholic school kids and snobby kids answers were either: because my parents are doctors OR it pays well. I do agree with the notion that it would attract people if they had rankings but if they ranked #1-9 there may be people that refuse to attend #8 or 9 on that list, so they don't even accept their invitation and then less people go there and now we eventually have 30 less podiatrist graduating per year for a 5yr period...well it could happen.

For now they'll probably just keep it at SDN users debating and the schools using false advertising to gain supporters.

I agree with the above that ranking the small number of schools there are will hurt the "lower" ranked schools. Isn't that counter-intuitive? Sure, perhaps the higher ranked podiatry schools will get more competitive, yet others may even close. Rankings are a no-go in my opinion.

Last edited:
I had a 26 mcat, I apped to pod school. People in DO school are getting in with 23-24 ranged. Granted the average is 26-27.

Let me now address omare61. This comes down to basic economics, supply and demand. If you want to increase the stats of the accepted applicant pool...

1) Limit Supply
a) Reduce enrollment.
b) Freeze enrollment as population/applicant pool increases.
( A typical MD school has 1200 applicants for 60 slots. )
2) Increase Demand
a) Advertise what a podiatrist is, does, earning potential, and other sexy foot fetish things :). How many times have you heard: there is a "nursing shortage", PA is the "easy way" to be an MD but without the responsibility, your teeth need to get whiter, do you love your animal? Buy x,y,z products for your <insert pet>, 9/10 MDs agree this drug will work for you (ignore the fact the side effects are worse than the affliction).
b) Increase salary of podiatrist (fix reimbursement disparity, allow podiatrists to legally do more high income procedures). If salary.com for example listed podiatrists making $250,000/yr as an average, I am going to venture a guess that the applicant pool will go up just a tad (for better or for worse).
c) Increasing the scope of what a podiatrist can do, this could also increase the demand for a pod (and the salary goes up) due to the larger issue of a shortage of doctors. Hypothetically: surgery wise if a pod specialized in foot/ankle but could take on call other orthopedic issues (salary would go up a lot).
d) Stability. If other professions continue to have problems the applicant pool for podiatrists/other health professionals will increase.

Where do I see it going? Honestly, flat line. I think podiatry is expanding at a rate = to the demand. I think salaries are on the lower side given the # of years you put in compared to some other specialties. I don't see podiatrists advertising their services on TV/radio.

**Everything I typed is based purely on numbers and economics and does not reflect my altruistic side or where I think podiatry should go**

In regards to 2b and 2c, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, or at least the way the world works

I will tell you how podiatry is going to improve, gain more acceptance as equals, etc....by being f****** good at what you do, as well as medicine in general. You can't flip a switch and "boom we are equal." This is something that will be earned in the trenches, so take your job and your education seriously.

I am completing a family practice rotation now. My preceptor had very little knowledge of podiatry when I started. Sure, she went to her podiatrist to get orthotics and referred for basic nails and other similar care. At the beginning of the rotation, I grew frustrated with comments that she made and ignorance of my knowledge that she displayed. However, I knew it was not her fault and I took it as a challenge. I knew that telling somebody "hey I am equal because I took some classes with DO's" would get you nowhere. I busted my butt to make sure I was prepared, reviewed and studied. At the end of the month, she has made numerous comments to other doctors about how surprised she is about what is taught in podiatry school.

This is the way respect for the profession will be earned.

You can't flip a switch and "boom we are equal." This is something that will be earned in the trenches, so take your job and your education seriously.

I had a similar experience in my 3rd year IM rotation. He didn't know a lot about podiatry but I worked hard and studied up. I showed I was interested in what he did by researching the cases, reading journal articles, and making sure I could talk the talk and show understanding. The ending was also a similar experience.

Legislating Title XIX reform would be fantastic but we also need to show we are ready for it. Pony up.

For better applicants schools have to advertise more. They need to be present at health fares/on brochures. Maybe send info about themselves straight to advisers since pre-meds are supposed to get reliable info from advisers. How many of us found out about podiatrists from google? Sure podiatry residents can make it their mission to educate people around them about what podiatry really is, but I don't think this method will reach that many people+legislative bodies.

What strikes me stupid is how urologists/proctologists/obgyn's are considered sexy; medicine is not sexy, the human body is beautiful when it runs smoothly and doctors exist to fix it. No one specialty is more important than the other and surely isn't "sexier". All specialties treat nasty/smelly diseases. On how to make the profession "sexy." More research, articles in flashy journals. Equal reimbursement. Increase in salary would be nice but I don't think there is any way solid way to do that.

For better applicants schools have to advertise more. They need to be present at health fares/on brochures. Maybe send info about themselves straight to advisers since pre-meds are supposed to get reliable info from advisers. How many of us found out about podiatrists from google? Sure podiatry residents can make it their mission to educate people around them about what podiatry really is, but I don't think this method will reach that many people+legislative bodies.

What strikes me stupid is how urologists/proctologists/obgyn's are considered sexy; medicine is not sexy, the human body is beautiful when it runs smoothly and doctors exist to fix it. No one specialty is more important than the other and surely isn't "sexier". All specialties treat nasty/smelly diseases. On how to make the profession "sexy." More research, articles in flashy journals. Equal reimbursement. Increase in salary would be nice but I don't think there is any way solid way to do that.

Let's face it, MD/DO is only sexy because they have TV shows depicting these lavish lifestyles that they live, and everyone knows how much they make. Dentistry is popular because they have done a phenomenal job at promoting their profession. Podiatry, on the other hand, is clearly working its way upward.

And about your google comment... I didn't even contemplate podiatry until I saw it on google about 3 months ago...my senior year of college. Other than the fact that my high school chemistry teacher was also a DPM, I had no clue it was a separate profession from MD/DO.

Let's face it, MD/DO is only sexy because they have TV shows depicting these lavish lifestyles that they live, and everyone knows how much they make. Dentistry is popular because they have done a phenomenal job at promoting their profession. Podiatry, on the other hand, is clearly working its way upward.

And about your google comment... I didn't even contemplate podiatry until I saw it on google about 3 months ago...my senior year of college. Other than the fact that my high school chemistry teacher was also a DPM, I had no clue it was a separate profession from MD/DO.

Sexy smiles, big behinds/boobs, slim stomachs, vision correction, skin rejuvenation...we need sexy feet commercials.

This has been my experience with those that have heard of the profession before. For those who haven't-I get a blank look of bewilderment when I try to explain what I got admitted to. Nobody to blame but APMA/AACPM.

Unfortunately, we've been cultured to be a vain species; prestige and money are king. If an objective third party ranking of pod schools were to be made, of course the prestige of the profession will rise. The lowest tier school would still get applicants...and matriculants. Will all the 'sub-par' applicants everyone is complaining about just disappear? But let's be real, MD will always trump DPM...no one will drop 124th ranked MD for 1st ranked DPM unless that person already favoured DPM to begin with. MD is not a 'plan B' kind of thing.

On a brighter note, it's interesting how this thread has snow-balled. Keep up the posting!

I got it!! the AMPA should hire someone to hack/destroy the anglefire site!!!! that would solve everything!!!!

yes! or make some site that is complete opposite of angelfire. something to show up before angelfire on the first google page