How much does having a background in the fitness field help when applying to pt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mightyhealthy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the NSCA-cpt cert and taking the CSCS exam pretty soon. I'm hoping they take these into consideration during interviews since my grades were very poor.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools use GPA as the main factor for admittance. I am apply to OT at IUPUI and GPA is 100% of the admittance factor there (40% overall, 60% prereq). Other schools may be different, but they don't take anything else in to consideration. Most schools require a 3.0 to apply regardless. Some might be lower. I've seen 2.8 minimum. I think that's the lowest that I have seen personally.

I have a degree in exercise science, but one more year of all sciences and psychologies to go. It doesn't hurt that's for sure, but it's not going to give you a decided advantage over someone who has a better GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had my CSCS since 1995 and can tell you it helps a great deal once you are out in the field practicing. However, it doesn't help too much during the admissions process. Many faculty won't fully appreciate the value of the CSCS, eventhough it's recognition is improving. GPA was a big factor when I was applying, but that was in Texas and nearly 10 years ago. Good luck!

I agree with PT2MD-it will help you alot when you are out practicing. I think employers are recognizing it more and I am pretty sure that NYU actually recommeneds that their students take the CSCS exam while in school. My colleagues who went to NYU all have their certification from when they were students.

Unfortunately, you will need decent grades to get to the interview (at most schools). Once you get to that point you can discuss how your love for health and fitness lead you towards PT (if that is the case!).

I was an AFAA certified aerobics instuctor for about 5 years before i applied to PT school. I incorporated my love for health/fitness and wellness into some of my essays. I think it is a nice transition-teaching general exercise to the well to developing specific exercises for the injured/ill.