Employment & Professional Networking How Much Do OTs Make In California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aluan150

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi People

I am wondering how much do new Grad OTs as well as experienced make in CA and its cities within like San Diego and Sacremento? Anybody who is working in these areas could suggest...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi MOT4ME

I did not see any answers to salary details in CA as such. If there are already some answers , please paste the link here . I am looking for most recent salary updates between the year 2012-2013 and 2014. I have researched a lot all over the net and the average salary details and stats are for West Coast as a whole. Not specific to San Diego County for example. So I was hoping some MOT would post here who also seems to be working in SD or somewhere else in Bay Area. I do not want to go for Monster and Indeed- They seem to be inflated all over the place due to so many anonymous entries.

Thanks

No Problem... so the salaries posted on AOTA are they to be believed or just over rated? And for San Diego is it just 40 K? I thought they start at 35 dollar per hr and max out at 50 according to some agencies. Home Health pays higher. But I think you can work two jobs and make slightly an higher income.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm all for being conservative in estimating starting salary, but 40-50k for a new grad? That's just not where the market is at right now, in California at least. Maybe that's what should be expected in other parts of the country though. As a student, I'm basing this on information received from recent grads who have entered the workforce, OTs I've spoken with, and faculty who have kept tabs on how students are fairing in job market, so it is somewhat anecdotal and it varies a great deal by location. One thing to keep in mind is that cost of living varies greatly in California as well. But in general, probably best to underestimate starting salary when considering how much student debt to take on.

Honestly, it's hard to find really good information, especially if you're looking at specific states or areas within a state. The article you posted is from advanceweb, not AOTA (right?). It looks like the 88k average for California is similar to what the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports, for whatever that's worth:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291122.htm#(2)

I think full time starting salary varies a good deal by location and practice area, so not necessarily 75-80k, but I don't think its out of the question to be close to that in the right situation (some places seem kinda desperate for OTs), with the understanding that your salary might top out rather quickly. But again, I'm no expert and its been hard to find concrete data that is current and reliable for my area.

Reactions: 1 user
It just depends on the setting and the location. I am a Bay Area native and plan to work here permanently too. As a new grad I have been offered two permanent full time positions with benefits in the East Bay and both had no problem paying me $38/hour as a new graduate. Some of my classmates who are new grads who work in peds earn the least at around 60k a year, another classmate went and took a job down on the Monterey Peninsula in a Hospital's sub acute rehab and was offered $45/hour because they need OT bodies. You have to consider where the funding is coming from when looking at OT jobs, some OT jobs are very different.

Haha yeah that is probably true for most people. I live in the East Bay now in a home I own (career change) and live close enough to SF to enjoy it when I want to, I don't necessarily need or want to live there. The whole housing situation is pretty sad though, sorta like we didn't learn our lesson the first time. I am in a good situation where I could benefit from higher OT salaries in SF without having to deal with their ridiculous housing prices. I think the income is pretty good in our field considering what we do, I have hope because I talk to my colleagues all of the time and I know what some of them are making around here and it is pretty good. If I need extra cash there are plenty of per diem jobs available that pay very well per hour. I will probably be switching jobs in the next few years until I find the place that is just right for me and I already know of some places, but I will just build my experience up until the next thing comes along. And remember 80k gross is starting, I know plenty of folks with 1 year of experience earning 85k and some hospital gigs that top off well over 100k (in SF). Then of course there are OT's who go into management roles, DOR's, etc.

Honestly I think most people in the OT profession, at least around here, are happy with our situation. I've been coming to this board as a resource since I was applying, but having met the people I have met so far I find that they are all happy with their jobs. I also realized I would not find these happy folks on these boards because they aren't looking for answers, they are content at the very least.

Last edited:
starting salary at the least is 55k for an entry level OT anywhere. But California, specially in bay area, I would not take less than 75k per year and I know that will be easy to get.

Good to know. 75k in the bay area is just above homeless. That's the hard part for me to deal with :)
I don't think one could reasonably buy a home or condo anywhere in the Bay area on that salary--I think renting in the city is out of range at 75k.

It's all upsetting. I would love to live in SF.

Bump it up to 90k entry level in SF. You can rent a room just fine. Better yet get a GF who has a decent salary.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel weird even talking about money because I didn't get into OT for the money, but it does pay decent. All OT positions are not the same. Pediatric OT jobs seems to pay less than SNF's, and some school based OT positions pay less depending on the area. I can't speak to OT salaries routinely being in the 6 figure range in SF, but I know of OT jobs in SF that do pay 6 figures. I have colleagues who work in SNF's in SF and make 90-100k with only a few years working, so imagine those OT's with advanced certifications in say, hand therapy. I don't expect that as an entry level OT, but as an OT I know enough 1st 2nd and 3rd year OT's are making over 90k a year in the Bay Area. Some OT's run their own practice and are banking more than others. I actually just accepted an OT job and my license has not posted yet, and they offered me 85k starting with no OT experience outside of my internships. I don't understand the whole hang up on having to live within SF city limits, I love SF too, but if you were a smart shopper you could still live very close to SF and not spend your entire salary on your rent. Heck you could live in SF if you are okay with not living in the more upscale parts. If it is that important to live within SF city limits then pursue a career at Google.

@FutureOT2013 do you mind me asking where you went to school? I assume Bay Area? I was just accepted to SJSU and would love to pick your brain about the program if you attended there. It seems to me that Bay Area OT jobs do pay slightly higher than average for many reasons, one of which being cost of living in the area is very high. As far as living in the city, I was able to rent a room for $500 (5 years ago) in the Castro, short walk to the mission and countless restaurants/ bars/ shopping areas. But... I also lived with 9 other people so it really depends on how you want to live. A studio apartment out in the sunset will probably set you back 2000/ month which on a 75k salary is doable. Look on craigslist and look at different housing situations if you are set on SF. I think buying a home in the city is unattainable for anyone who isn't a millionaire at this point, sad but true. I live in the East Bay where the rent is still high but you get more space for your money and SF is a short BART ride away.

I feel weird even talking about money because I didn't get into OT for the money, but it does pay decent. All OT positions are not the same. Pediatric OT jobs seems to pay less than SNF's, and some school based OT positions pay less depending on the area. I can't speak to OT salaries routinely being in the 6 figure range in SF, but I know of OT jobs in SF that do pay 6 figures. I have colleagues who work in SNF's in SF and make 90-100k with only a few years working, so imagine those OT's with advanced certifications in say, hand therapy. I don't expect that as an entry level OT, but as an OT I know enough 1st 2nd and 3rd year OT's are making over 90k a year in the Bay Area. Some OT's run their own practice and are banking more than others. I actually just accepted an OT job and my license has not posted yet, and they offered me 85k starting with no OT experience outside of my internships. I don't understand the whole hang up on having to live within SF city limits, I love SF too, but if you were a smart shopper you could still live very close to SF and not spend your entire salary on your rent. Heck you could live in SF if you are okay with not living in the more upscale parts. If it is that important to live within SF city limits then pursue a career at Google.

Hi! I am an occupational therapist from Miami, but currently living in DC. My goal is to move to San Francisco next year (thinking June 2016) and would absolutely love to connect with other OTs in the area. We usually have similar personalities and passions, and it would be great to gain some insight on life for OTs in the Bay Area. Let me know if you're open to that :) Thanks! Steph

Hello, I just graduated with my doctorate in OT and plan to move and find work in the Bay Area. Would anyone know possible starting salaries for a new grad with a doctorate degree versus a new grad with a master's degree in the Bay Area. I have been researching salaries in San Francisco, east bay, south bay.

Hello, I just graduated with my doctorate in OT and plan to move and find work in the Bay Area. Would anyone know possible starting salaries for a new grad with a doctorate degree versus a new grad with a master's degree. I have been looking up salary ranges in the east bay, SF, and south bay.

Hello, I just graduated with my doctorate in OT and plan to move and find work in the Bay Area. Would anyone know possible starting salaries for a new grad with a doctorate degree versus a new grad with a master's degree. I have been looking up salary ranges in the east bay, SF, and south bay.

April, I'm an OT in the East Bay Area (Oakland) but at a Masters level. I can give you some figures, but it depends entirely on what setting you are interested in working in. I am not sure how much more they will compensate for doctorate level, but in your shoes, I would try to negotiate $3-7ish dollars an hour more for coming in with a doctoral degree. Some settings will consider it more greatly than others and/or offer you more for the higher degree.

Select_OT_salaries.jpg
I made these charts for you, from BLS data. This data will be more accurate than word of mouth I suspect. You can estimate that new clinicians will make between 10-25th percentile. My friends from OT school started at the 20-25th percentile range with their first OT position.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...ittle-the-middle-class-makes-in-30-u-s-cities

I wish you all the best of luck with salary, we all need it. I have been crunching salary statistics for quite some time, I'm not greedy, I'm in a lot of debt. I hope you get more for your OTD, but sadly I have heard from clinicians that OTDs straight out of school do not make anymore money than a MS. In this article I posted below it states that experience, not education level, is what determines OT salary. I hope candidates with OTDs see a bump in salary, but I'd implore any applicant thinking that the degree will translate into more money to think about it from the perspective of the hiring manager. The OTs job is to provide services, and have high productivity (read: billing). Is the added value of the OT in a SNF more that a hiring manager would prefer to pay more to have one? Maybe. It is likely that many hiring managers will see applicants with entry level degrees and question the need to pay more.

------------------------------------

https://www.webpt.com/blog/post/four-things-you-need-know-about-ot-salary

According to this salary survey published by ADVANCE for Occupational Therapy Practitioners, “Perhaps the single most dependable determining factor of salaries was years of experience in the OT field.” In that survey specifically, the average salary for OTs with five or fewer years of experience was about $64,000, whereas those with 21-25 years of experience earned approximately $78,000—a difference of about $14,000. This PayScale report shows an even larger gap: according to the data cited there, therapists with more than 20 years of experience earned an average income of $84,000. Education, on the other hand, did not appear to play a significant role in salary determination. In fact, the ADVANCE survey revealed that OTs with bachelor’s degrees actually reported a higher average salary (about $73,000) than those with entry-level master’s degrees (about $67,000). It’s important to note, however, that this discrepancy likely resulted—at least in part—from differences in experience; the vast majority of bachelor’s degree-holders had more than ten years’ experience, while most of the therapists with master’s degrees had been practicing fewer than ten years.

Setting:

The type of facility in which you practice also affects your earning potential. According to BLS data, OTs working in home health environments make an average of $91,860—about $10,000 more than the national average of $81,690. The average salary for therapists working in nursing care facilities (i.e., skilled nursing facilities) also comes in well above the national average at $88,670. On the opposite end of the spectrum, OTs practicing in elementary and secondary schools average $71,470—about $10,000 below the national average.

Last edited:
OT salaries routinely being in the 6 figure range in SF, but I know of OT jobs in SF that do pay 6 figures. I have colleagues who work in SNF's in SF and make 90-100k with only a few years working, so imagine those OT's with advanced certifications in say, hand therapy. I don't expect that as an entry level OT, but as an OT I know enough 1st 2nd and 3rd year OT's are making over 90k a year in the Bay Area.

@FutureOT2013 I understand your reticence to speak about salary figures; I think we all chose this profession to help others. I have a lot of debt, and I have to pay my loans back and pay for my food, and car, and apartment. I'm sure you feel the same. It's good for us to talk about salary, and be concerned about it, it's real life. If you own your own home in the Bay Area I'm guessing you used to work in Tech. I'm not sure that someone in my circumstances - with undergrad and graduate school debts could afford to live in the Bay area. The average apartment in San Francisco is around $4000 a month. Home ownership most anywhere in the Bay area on 90k a year? It's out of the question in SF and hard in every other area. 100k in SF is "extremely poor" according to a realtor friend of mine in SF. I wasn't encouraged to hear it :(
Middle_Class.jpg

If I made above the 25% percentile at my first job in SF that would place me at a nice 80k a year. Middle class is 96k. I'd be starting off as a lower middle class person. I think there is a major problem in our country if I am working in healthcare, with a masters degree and starting off the first several years of my job as a lower class person. That's a different story I guess tho! For the sake of argument let's assume I want to live on my own, not with roommates. The average 1 bedroom apartment runs about $3600 to be precise. That's $43,000 in rent. 53% of my salary would be dedicated towards rent. Student loan payments? Food? Utilities? Clothing? Transit? Sadly, that isn't in my future. I wish it was an option! I am confused as to how the people who attend the private schools out there manage to live in places like SF or LA. With program tuition totaling out to 130k+ for many California programs, how do students do that on top of undergrad debts? I can't figure it out.

I would ask you to look at my salary stats, re: 6 figures, those are median OT salaries in areas above. I'm curious as to how long it takes an OT to reach the MEDIAN salary. I can tell you from what I have seen with my friends who got their first OT job that the salary hovered below the 25% percentile. The 75% percentile salaries are surely more in the management ballpark imho.

Last edited:
Hey there! I know this post is kind of old, but in a per diem acute care setting in San Diego, I know for a fact that OTs make about what PTs do, which is somewhere in the $41-48/hour range. Some facilities base the per diem rate on your experience, while others use a flat rate across the board. Hope that helps!