Employment & Professional Networking Do OTs make a good salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTD2020

Reaction score
I'm just starting my program and stressed about being able to support myself afterwards, but I'm not sure if I'm just overthinking or not. My program costs $75k and I will be taking out loans. Do OTs make a decent salary within the first 5 years? It is an OTD program (this is not about opinions on that - my top choice school switched to OTD my application cycle so that's just what they offer). I'm already stressing about it. I know you can't go into a field for a money, and I have no desire to be in medicine, but I wonder if I made a mistake going into a field that requires all this schooling and I won't even be making enough to be well off an independent. I would like to work in acute care or an IRF if that helps give perspective. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Above is information that can provide you with numbers. You will be in school to become a generalist. Keep your eyes on the prize and continue to shape your resume so that you can be a great acute care and inpatient clinician. However, you will be a generalist and you should be able to thrive in any setting given a little time. The more open you are in seeing the value of occupational therapy across context, the more open you are to the opportunities around you. My cohort graduated in 2016 and no one had any issue with employment. This may be different if relocation is difficult or if geography has fewer opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm just starting my program and stressed about being able to support myself afterwards, but I'm not sure if I'm just overthinking or not. My program costs $75k and I will be taking out loans. Do OTs make a decent salary within the first 5 years? It is an OTD program (this is not about opinions on that - my top choice school switched to OTD my application cycle so that's just what they offer). I'm already stressing about it. I know you can't go into a field for a money, and I have no desire to be in medicine, but I wonder if I made a mistake going into a field that requires all this schooling and I won't even be making enough to be well off an independent. I would like to work in acute care or an IRF if that helps give perspective. TIA
As far as I know, a starting OT will make minimum 60k. You may have to save for a little bit like being more on the frugal side but it won't be terrible. I'm also worried about money but I know we'll always have job opportunities!