How much do NZ interns get paid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezekiel20

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard from a friend whose brother recently graduated from Auckland med that final year students in NZ (called 'trainee interns') get paid 40K and interns get 80K.

Is there any truth to this?

Even with the exchange rate in mind, 80K for an intern sounds like a lot, especially given the lower cost of living in NZ (from my 6 years of living in Christchurch, NZ).

Members don't see this ad.

Can't comment on how much interns get paid over here, but next year as a Trainee Intern I'll get about 26,700 which is tax free so I guess it is close to 40K.
As far as living costs go, Auckland is really not different from Sydney. I've been living here for 4 years and I was just recently in Sydney again and everything seemed to be pretty much the same price. I even thought certain things such as clothing and food at the grocery store were actually cheaper over there.

Wow you guys get paid for your final year of medical school? That's a really good system, is this available for all trainee interns regardless of residency status or only for NZ PR/Citizens?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow you guys get paid for your final year of medical school? That's a really good system, is this available for all trainee interns regardless of residency status or only for NZ PR/Citizens?

You must have PR or citizenship in order to get the TI grant.

Also, all registrars and house surgeons in NZ get courses paid for as well. So, although the registrar salary may be a "little less" than in Aus because of exchange rates, you sometimes get paid more if you factor in the course they may send you on and the the EMST course they paid for etc, etc. :thumbup:

Good to know - Thanks for the info Dr.Millisevert