MD How might match lists change for low-tier MD schools after Step 1 goes P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
With Step 1 no longer being a distinguishing aspect for residency apps, do you see match lists for low-tier MD schools shifting heavily towards primary care in the next 4-5 years? Or will things be relatively the same as it is now?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this seems inevitable. CK is a test you can take as an afterthought past ERAS with 10-14 days review and still do well on. Having everyone gun 110% at it for several years is going to make it fall apart
Agreed. There is no need to get nuclear with Step 2 CK. At least with Step 1 there was a high volume of stuff to learn. Step 2 CK is basically Step 1 stuff but it’s own beast that doesn’t require as much studying. I sucked it up though relative to step 1 so I don’t have that skill to do much better than average on it.

Hmm, I don't think 248 is average. Only 12 schools have average CK over 250 (per @DataKing) --- Penn, Wash U, Vandy, Michigan, Sinai, Cornell, Baylor, UTSW, UVA, Ohio St., Northwestern, and Florida.

And VTech beats the likes of Duke, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, U. of Wash, Mayo, UCLA, Case, USC-Keck, Einstein, Dartmouth, Rochester, and many more. I think they punch above their weight.

For T100 or so schools, average CK is closer to 244. Anyway, sorry to get this thread off track but I find VTech to be an interesting case study for how a mid/low tier school with P/F clinicals can still result in solid matches.
245 is average. The current averages at schools can’t be used to predict how schools will do on Step 2 in the future, as the current paradigm was to give Step 2 minimal thought, often after submitting ERAS. When people start gunning to crush it like they were Step 1 the averages are going to increase quite a bit.

Reactions: 2 users