MD How might match lists change for low-tier MD schools after Step 1 goes P/F?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
With Step 1 no longer being a distinguishing aspect for residency apps, do you see match lists for low-tier MD schools shifting heavily towards primary care in the next 4-5 years? Or will things be relatively the same as it is now?

Members don't see this ad.

5 threads in a week. We need to make an "Official Step 1 P/F and Repercussions Discussion thread".

To answer your question, no I don't think so unless you consider Primary Care as Gastroenterology, Anesthesiology, Radiology, etc. all of which are still accessible to the low tier US MD student.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
With Step 1 no longer being a distinguishing aspect for residency apps, do you see match lists for low-tier MD schools shifting heavily towards primary care in the next 4-5 years? Or will things be relatively the same as it is now?
How would we know? I'm not being rude but i'm genuinely lost here because i don't think anyone knows yet

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How would we know? I'm not being rude but i'm genuinely lost here because i don't think anyone knows yet

Medical education's a bit up in the air right now. What will P/F Step 1 look like for matching? Will interviews be virtual? Everyone gets a kick out of speculating on the uncertainty and people like Dr. Carmody provide fuel to this fire. This is especially true if they have a vested interest (choosing a school, figuring out where to put their efforts). It's the same as how everyone's talking about crypto now. Maybe you don't need to invest in it, but I can tell you what's really profitable right now... Creating a YouTube channel to discuss it.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm starting MS1 at a "low-tier" U.S. M.D. school this fall. Was really hoping to do general surgery...I hope that's not out of the picture now

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I'm starting MS1 at a "low-tier" U.S. M.D. school this fall. Was really hoping to do general surgery...I hope that's not out of the picture now
It's not. We're at an age where DOs can comfortably match General Surgery if they put in the work and achievement.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
You’ll be fine. Do as well as you can, but unless you are a very low performing student General Surgery is a very reasonable goal.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I bet you they don’t change at all. How could you even realistically compare them. The entire thing is being blown a bit out of proportion imo.

Reactions: 4 users
I bet you they don’t change at all. How could you even realistically compare them. The entire thing is being blown a bit out of proportion imo.
You can't. SDN will have the anecdotes to support our preconceived notions, but the NRMP match statistics will look the same. I suppose you will see an average increase in USMLE Step 2 CK scores from prior years across the board.

Reactions: 1 user

Interesting study from one program. Their rank list would have significantly changed if Step 1 was not a part of the ranking equation.

Interesting study from one program. Their rank list would have significantly changed if Step 1 was not a part of the ranking equation.

Seems pretty logical - they stratify based on Step 1; without it, applicants are clustered more around the middle third. Programs will just stratify based on Step 2 going forward. Or other quantifiable factors.

What I mostly don't agree with is this notion (mostly on pre-allo) that now "low tier" (whatever that means) schools will be out of contention for the best residencies. I really don't think PD's and programs that have historically been taking students from certain schools for years/decades will now exclude them out because Step 1 is P/F. That would be monumentally stupid.

I just graduated from one of these established "low-tier" MD school. Generally, low tier schools have more distinguishing factors to set students apart - graded clinical years, AOA, class rank etc.

Step scores are usually treated as a convenience metric to filter applicants - to secure a "competitive" interview from a low-tier school, other factors like AOA, research productivity, stellar LoRs and sometimes unique ECs/leadership need to be present. Looking at the IM match list from my medical school for instance, students who matched top X were always in AOA (this is backed by some recent SDN discussion on the impact of AOA in IM match at other institutions). You can imagine that a medical student who checks all of the aforementioned boxes will probably score well in their Step exams. I suspect that the number of students who are entering competitive fields will remain relatively stable.

18.8% of the top third dropped to the middle third, and 11.7% of the bottom third jumped to the middle third, while the middle third changed little (0.2% dropped and 0.9% jumped out of middle third).

Which further supports the argument that Step score shouldn’t be used as a stratification metric (as it originally wasn’t intended to be). Programs should match who they want, not who they want to look like (i.e. “Our incoming class had an average Step score of 260! Aren’t we top tier?!”)

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical education's a bit up in the air right now. What will P/F Step 1 look like for matching? Will interviews be virtual? Everyone gets a kick out of speculating on the uncertainty and people like Dr. Carmody provide fuel to this fire. This is especially true if they have a vested interest (choosing a school, figuring out where to put their efforts). It's the same as how everyone's talking about crypto now. Maybe you don't need to invest in it, but I can tell you what's really profitable right now... Creating a YouTube channel to discuss it.
I don’t understand the part about Dr Carmody, I thought he was doing a good job by advocating for transparency in Step + complaining about how NRMP, AAMC etc are all for-profit companies and that Step is just to fill the pockets of the rich?

This is just another example of how societal entities are making conscious decisions to fog up the futures of early-education/career physicians (and aspiring ones). It seems there is SO much changing in the world right now at systemic levels (both within medicine and outside of that realm) that no one individual can either control OR predict.

Kind of sucks, but it really feels like nobody in particular is in charge and we all just kind of have to go along for the ride. Sometimes, systems really just create god damn undo stress without proclaiming to individuals the intended asymmetric net benefits to those individuals (such as the case at hand).

Let’s just do our best with what's in front of us. Even as a pre-med who’s been looking on SDN on/off for a decade or something, before committing to this path, I can say that you do yourself no favors by worrying about STEP stuff if you’re not in the position to take it already.

But for whatever it’s worth & to answer your question:

If you’re interested in a “lower-tiered MD school” then maybe look at patterns of behavior from specific schools in the last couple of decades, research their programs, PDs, and ask recent grads or current med students. You might have a better gauge of a school’s trajectory than know what the future of primary care will be like. Is PC what you’re most interested in, OP?

Personally, I feel like Primary Care is up for grabs no matter what MD or DO school you come from. And as far as what I’ve read on SDN, you can find plenty of people posting that even medical students who’ve graduated from “top-tier schools” end up matching in PC. It’s not because Primary Care is strictly for the “less ambitious” or “low STEP scoring”… some people just find out that’s their calling.

And besides, you’d still have to do STEP 1 regardless & stand out as an individual through your own efforts plus have good recs from your mentors & program, right? The irony here is that you need to … “take it 1 Step at a time”.

😉

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, nothing will be different, CK is scored

Edit: Y'all should look at the paper, their scoring system is bonkers. Step 1 score itself is only 5 out of 110 points, yet it changed the tertile of roughly half the folks in both the upper and lower thirds.

Again for those in the back - an item weighted at less than 5% of your score was responsible for half of the top third and half of the bottom third being in those positions.

That makes no sense to me at all. Interview impression alone should have carried 7x as much impact as Step 1 did. Something's afoot at the circle K here, I don't buy their stats.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm

Edit: Y'all should look at the paper, their scoring system is bonkers. Step 1 score itself is only 5 out of 110 points, yet it changed the tertile of roughly half the folks in both the upper and lower thirds.

Again for those in the back - an item weighted at less than 5% of your score was responsible for half of the top third and half of the bottom third being in those positions.

That makes no sense to me at all. Interview impression alone should have carried 7x as much impact as Step 1 did. Something's afoot at the circle K here, I don't buy their stats.

Doesn't this just mean that the other 105 points are basically a tossup? If a few points from step 1 is changing the relative percentiles that much, it means the rest of your scoring system is close to useless.

Doesn't this just mean that the other 105 points are basically a tossup? If a few points from step 1 is changing the relative percentiles that much, it means the rest of your scoring system is close to useless.
That would be the only way to explain it yeah, that everyone is getting perfect scores in every other category so that losing a couple points of the 5% step 1 component drops your tertile. They either made a mistake or 95% of their system is useless.

Honestly having talked to a few people on the other side of the curtain, they’ve all unanimously agreed that most of the rank list is completely arbitrary. They all have stated that there is usually lots of opinions at who should be at the top, and then strong opinions about who should be at the bottom, but the middle of the list is largely interchangeable with itself. I can see how when you have a bunch of applicants that all look very similar (seeing as you screened the apps for certain things and then invited people from that pool) you would just rank according to academics and that 5% would heavily change the list.

I really don’t think programs agonize over their lists the way we do ours.

I don’t understand the part about Dr Carmody, I thought he was doing a good job by advocating for transparency in Step + complaining about how NRMP, AAMC etc are all for-profit companies and that Step is just to fill the pockets of the rich?

I don’t dislike him. His opinions are interesting, but I don’t think they mean much.

I don’t dislike him. His opinions are interesting, but I don’t think they mean much.
He put in a ton of legwork to give a great concise history of the USMLE, the Match, and the constellation of factors that led to Step 1 Mania. That's all fantastic stuff.

I just graduated from one of these established "low-tier" MD school. Generally, low tier schools have more distinguishing factors to set students apart - graded clinical years, AOA, class rank etc.

Step scores are usually treated as a convenience metric to filter applicants - to secure a "competitive" interview from a low-tier school, other factors like AOA, research productivity, stellar LoRs and sometimes unique ECs/leadership need to be present. Looking at the IM match list from my medical school for instance, students who matched top X were always in AOA (this is backed by some recent SDN discussion on the impact of AOA in IM match at other institutions). You can imagine that a medical student who checks all of the aforementioned boxes will probably score well in their Step exams. I suspect that the number of students who are entering competitive fields will remain relatively stable.
Ehhh, Several low tier schools have gotten rid of AoA or took the minimum class rank out of consideration and/or changed everything to P/F. Some schools went as far as changing clerkships to P/F which I suspect will have a tremendously negative impact on their match outcomes as many programs use scoring for rank lists that include clerkship grades. They will be able to match successfully, but the competitive specialties will be a huge uphill battle for these folks unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 users
Ehhh, Several low tier schools have gotten rid of AoA or took the minimum class rank out of consideration and/or changed everything to P/F. Some schools went as far as changing clerkships to P/F which I suspect will have a tremendously negative impact on their match outcomes as many programs use scoring for rank lists that include clerkship grades. They will be able to match successfully, but the competitive specialties will be a huge uphill battle for these folks unfortunately.

Yeah I though so too but check out VTech. I waste a lot of time advising people about what schools to choose via PM and someone told me VT is P/F for M1-4 and even clerkships. To my knowledge they only use superlatives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how they do it.

Yeah I though so too but check out VTech. I waste a lot of time advising people about what schools to choose via PM and someone told me VT is P/F for M1-4 and even clerkships. To my knowledge they only use superlatives. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure how they do it.

is this per year?

My understanding is VT is actually fairly academic in nature. I.e. they recruit for students that have research heavy apps, which could lead to them punching above their tier weight in the match.

My understanding is VT is actually fairly academic in nature. I.e. they recruit for students that have research heavy apps, which could lead to them punching above their tier weight in the match.
Yeah, VT matches pretty well and recent CK scores average 248. It's newer school and thus not as well known without strong reputation yet. With P/F all four years, I'm not sure how they match so well. Academically strong students maybe, but their incoming average GPA is one of the lowest. They're doing something right.

Here is a nearly (95% +) complete VT match list for 2020. Might be missing a couple, and for the first time in the school's history they did not have a 100% match.

Otolaryngology, Cleveland Clinic
OB/GYN, Emory
Pediatrics, UC Irvine
Internal Medicine, Georgetown
Family Medicine, U. of Pittsburgh
Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth
Internal Medicine, Rutgers RWJ
Emergency Medicine, Yale
General Surgery, Carilion Clinic VTC
Emergency Medicine, U. of Connecticut
Diagnostic Radiology, Virginia Commonwealth
Psychiatry, Carilion Clinic VTC
Emergency Medicine, Allegheny General (Pittsburgh)
Psychiatry, U. Of Maryland Baltimore
Surgery, Nassau University MC (NY)
General Surgery, Rutgers NJMS
Emergency Medicine, U. of Florida
Emergency Medicine, U. of Pittsburgh
Neurology, USC
Urology, U. of Alabama Birmingham
Emergency Medicine, Carolinas MC (Charlotte)
Pediatrics, Prisma Health, U. of South Carolina
General Surgery, East Tennessee State U.
General Surgery, Madigan Army MC (Tacoma)
Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth
General Surgery, Kaiser (Los Angeles)
Internal Medicine, Duke U.
Internal Medicine, U. of Florida
Emergency Medicine, Emory
Anesthesiology, U. of Minnesota
Neurology, UC San Francisco
Internal Medicine, Oregon Health & Science U.
Anesthesiology, George Washington U.
Neurological Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina
General Surgery, Carilion Clinic VTC
Internal Medicine, Harbor UCLA
General Surgery, George Washington U.
Diagnostic Radiology, U. of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Plastic Surgery, Cornell U.
General Surgery, U. of Virginia
Internal Medicine, Carilion Clinic VTC
Family Medicine, Carilion Clinic VTC
Emergency Medicine, Hennepin County MC (Minneapolis)
Plastic Surgery, Emory

Yeah...Ok guys, so how's VTech doing this? And maybe it's not just VT? Are there any other schools like this people know of?

Edit: To clarify, this list isn't amazing or as good as a top tier but it's as good as a midtier all of which use more than just superlatives to separate students...

Yeah...Ok guys, so how's VTech doing this? And maybe it's not just VT? Are there any other schools like this people know of?

Edit: To clarify, this list isn't amazing or as good as a top tier but it's as good as a midtier all of which use more than just superlatives to separate students...
Step 1 + Step 2 + Research I would assume. I bet they also show shelf scores or something on there.

I wish people would get rid of the third year grading scale since it varies so widely by school and is mostly preceptor dependent. Ive had preceptors tell me they dont give honors when other students get sent home at noon and get honors with a different preceptor lol

Reactions: 5 users
Step 1 + Step 2 + Research I would assume. I bet they also show shelf scores or something on there.

I wish people would get rid of the third year grading scale since it varies so widely by school and is mostly preceptor dependent. Ive had preceptors tell me they dont give honors when other students get sent home at noon and get honors with a different preceptor lol
Same experience, knowing what site to pick / who to ask for evals mattered way more than effort

I don't think you get a shift in specialty choices but you probably get a shift in the kinds of places you match at, especially in specialties without a strong tradition of doing away rotations. Maybe away rotations will be the next thing emphasized (after Step 2 CK). The biggest trick in enacting this Step 1 P/F thing was actually getting students from middle and lower tier schools to go for it. The biggest lie was convincing them that it was in their best interest. It really doesn't do anything for them. It makes the school name and network more important and gives students at top schools who have access to all the fancy "extracurriculars" an advantage. There's no way for other students to really stand out (other than Step 2 CK but that just shifts the goalpost by a little - the same rationale for eliminating Step 1 also exists for Step 2 CK grades).

I don't think you get a shift in specialty choices but you probably get a shift in the kinds of places you match at, especially in specialties without a strong tradition of doing away rotations. Maybe away rotations will be the next thing emphasized (after Step 2 CK). The biggest trick in enacting this Step 1 P/F thing was actually getting students from middle and lower tier schools to go for it. The biggest lie was convincing them that it was in their best interest. It really doesn't do anything for them. It makes the school name and network more important and gives students at top schools who have access to all the fancy "extracurriculars" an advantage. There's no way for other students to really stand out (other than Step 2 CK but that just shifts the goalpost by a little - the same rationale for eliminating Step 1 also exists for Step 2 CK grades).
School name and prestige may matter for T20 or so but not so much after that. With Step 1 P/F, things like research, LORs, away rotations, clinical grades, and certainly Step 2 CK will factor heavily. I think VTech (with P/F clinicals) must do an outstanding job helping their students prepare for residency -- in terms of Step2 CK performance, residency app preparation, letters, interview prep, etc.

If the bolded is true, how does VTech, a lesser known midtier, get those higher scores? Research I imagine you can select for but how do you select for high scorers as a midtier...most people would choose the higher prestiged school.

Also, someone said their Step 2 CK mean was 248 which is not far higher than the national mean which IIRC was 245.

I'm perservating on this because if VTech can do it, then I think schools should trash the clinical grading scheme as it stands today because the only justification was maybe it helped some applicants match their goal. My clinical evaluation experience lines up with @efle and @Dr.Cut.em.up

If the bolded is true, how does VTech, a lesser known midtier, get those higher scores? Research I imagine you can select for but how do you select for high scorers as a midtier...most people would choose the higher prestiged school.

Also, someone said their Step 2 CK mean was 248 which is not far higher than the national mean which IIRC was 245.

I'm perservating on this because if VTech can do it, then I think schools should trash the clinical grading scheme as it stands today because the only justification was maybe it helped some applicants match their goal. My clinical evaluation experience lines up with @efle and @Dr.Cut.em.up
I agree, puzzling how they get those higher scores. It might be that VTech achieves the 248 CK average by more thoroughly preparing their students for the exam. Their Step 1 average is a very pedestrian 234, maybe reflecting the very good but not outstanding students they matriculate. Somehow those same caliber students average 248 on Step 2. It's such a small class size, the individual attention and coaching they get (especially in year 3) might be the wild card(?) Agree, VTech might be a model that could support P/F for clinicals across the board.

I agree, puzzling how they get those higher scores. It might be that VTech achieves the 248 CK average by more thoroughly preparing their students for the exam. Their Step 1 average is a very pedestrian 234, maybe reflecting the very good but not outstanding students they matriculate. Somehow those same caliber students average 248 on Step 2. It's such a small class size, the individual attention and coaching they get (especially in year 3) might be the wild card(?) Agree, VTech might be a model that could support P/F for clinicals across the board.
A 248 on step 2 isn't meaningfully different from a 234 on step 1 when you look at the percentiles.

Concurs with FindersFee. The Step 2 CK is actually quite average. I don't think it's the scores. Even if it was the scores, how would they select for that since high scoring applicants are siphoned off to higher tiers.

With Step 1 going P/F, the focus will shift on the other aspects of the application --> clinical grades, Step 2 CK, research, LoRs, ECs

Carmody recently spoke at my medical school, and he predicts that the impending Step CK mania may well drive the scoring of the exam to P/F by late 2020s.

The increased focus on clinical grades will only be detrimental to students. With so much variability in preceptor/site grading rigor & variability on the emphasis of different components of the clinical grade (preceptor evaluation, standardized patients, shelf exams), you are further encouraging students to play the game of finding the easiest graders and/or cheat on standardized patients. At my medical school, I missed the cutoff for high pass in surgery by 0.05 points; the MSPE did not publish cutoffs and rounded down my grade. It didn't matter in the end, but it caused incredible stress for a few months since my school only uses MS3 grades for rankings. I strongly support going P/F for clinical evaluations.

Similar connotations can be made about AOA. Selection criteria can vary massively between schools. Questions of equity in the selection process have encouraged some schools to get rid of it altogether.

Med schools need to start prioritizing mentorship and research EARLY (MS1/2). I like the Vandy/ Duke model where students have preclinicals MS1, clinicals in MS2 and research/ other educational enrichment in MS3. With Step 1 P/F, you don't need 2 years to study for the test.

Carmody recently spoke at my medical school, and he predicts that the impending Step CK mania may well drive the scoring of the exam to P/F by late 2020s.
Yeah this seems inevitable. CK is a test you can take as an afterthought past ERAS with 10-14 days review and still do well on. Having everyone gun 110% at it for several years is going to make it fall apart

Yeah this seems inevitable. CK is a test you can take as an afterthought past ERAS with 10-14 days review and still do well on. Having everyone gun 110% at it for several years is going to make it fall apart
Why aren't med leaders proposing caps and tokens to tackle the overapplication problem? All we're doing is removing standardized scores while allowing the flood of apps to continue

Concurs with FindersFee. The Step 2 CK is actually quite average. I don't think it's the scores. Even if it was the scores, how would they select for that since high scoring applicants are siphoned off to higher tiers.
Hmm, I don't think 248 is average. Only 12 schools have average CK over 250 (per @DataKing) --- Penn, Wash U, Vandy, Michigan, Sinai, Cornell, Baylor, UTSW, UVA, Ohio St., Northwestern, and Florida.

And VTech beats the likes of Duke, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, U. of Wash, Mayo, UCLA, Case, USC-Keck, Einstein, Dartmouth, Rochester, and many more. I think they punch above their weight.

For T100 or so schools, average CK is closer to 244. Anyway, sorry to get this thread off track but I find VTech to be an interesting case study for how a mid/low tier school with P/F clinicals can still result in solid matches.

Hmm, I don't think 248 is average. Only 12 schools have average CK over 250 (per @DataKing) --- Penn, Wash U, Vandy, Michigan, Sinai, Cornell, Baylor, UTSW, UVA, Ohio St., Northwestern, and Florida.

And VTech beats the likes of Duke, Columbia, Stanford, UCSF, U. of Wash, Mayo, UCLA, Case, USC-Keck, Einstein, Dartmouth, Rochester, and many more. I think they punch above their weight.

For T100 or so schools, average CK is closer to 244. Anyway, sorry to get this thread off track but I find VTech to be an interesting case study for how a mid/low tier school with P/F clinicals can still result in solid matches.
The NRMP publishes percentiles, 245 is the current CK national average. Even a 250 is a pretty meaningless difference. Schools having step 1 averages in the high 240s was much more significant

Their match list looks like it has 5 competitive specialty matches, two of them at lesser sought after state schools in the south. Sounds like they also had some people fail to match. Reads like an average match list to me

Reactions: 4 users

That Step 2 CK is very average. It is only 3 points above the national mean. To add to it, the Standard Deviations for Step 2 CK are larger than Step 1. They are not among the likes of top schools in terms of Step averages.

The NRMP publishes percentiles, 245 is the current CK national average. Even a 250 is a pretty meaningless difference. Schools having step 1 averages in the high 240s was much more significant

Their match list looks like it has 5 competitive specialty matches, two of them at lesser sought after state schools in the south. Sounds like they also had some people fail to match. Reads like an average match list to me

Even so, consider if a midtier at worst, they still are doing it with P/F clerkships.