how many you get in this profession because you were rejected by med. schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
that is my question. that really doesn't mean you are a failure, but that is one of the option that i have to consider.

I might have to do that, too. But i am just thinking. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Please go somewhere else and troll we have enough here. Thanks

isn't that the fact? I am considering it myself. sounds like you r not happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very happy with my choice and wouldnt have it any way. How can that be a fact, did you read some study or did you speak to every podiatry student out there. Get a life and stop trolling!

I don't care if it is a troll or not. May have some useful comments.

I did consider MD and DO programs at the same time that I considered DPM programs. I actually applied to MD programs first. For what it is worth I was also considering PA programs and PhD programs at the same time. (Why leave anything out?)

Each has it's pros and cons. It took a lot of time and thought to come to my final decision. As well as talking to a lot of people in a number of fields. I doubt that 4 years later I will be able to recount all of the details or reasons I had at the time.

I originally considered PA programs while I was a medic on active duty. Initially I looked at only the military programs, and had some reservations. As I continued my undergrad education that faded a bit and I thought MD programs might be more to my liking. So I focused my attention in that direction. MCATs are a big deal there, so I spent some time looking at that. I also considered some alternatives. Highest on my list then were PhD programs, mainly microbiology. I spoke at length with my advisors and was clued in to many of the difficulties that might be faced there. From my hospital work I had plenty of opportunity to interact with a number of MD/DO residents. They gave me valuable input as well. The vast majority of them tried their best to discourage me from even applying. At that point I felt like I was far enough along in the process that there was no drawback to applying. I also reasoned that the attendings seemed happy with what they were doing even if the residents weren't.

I did apply to two MD programs and was granted interviews at both. During my first interview I was asked what I might see myself doing for residency or afterwards. That made me think a lot. I couldn't give a good answer at the time. I was able to mention a number of things that I did not want to do, but was unable to specify what I did want to do. (I.E. OB/GYN = no interest, Psych = don't really care, FP = no great interest, Surgery = OK, except for the long residency and poor hours, etc, etc, etc.) After that interview I went home and spent a lot of time thinking.

I had some previous exposure to podiatry as their clinic was just around the corner from where I worked, and I had seen many of their patients come through the PACU. I also had a close classmate who was interested in podiatry as his father was a DPM. We had spent some time talking about this as well.

After these MD interviews I spent many hours talking with my advisor about PhD programs and was given a rather negative impression. I still considered it, but with a shaded view. I also took the opportunity to spend some more time in the podiatry clinic. I spoke at length with the resident, and many long talks with one of the attendings. The majority of his time was spent telling me about the probelms and pitfalls I might experience. He did his best to discourage me. After a time I think he decided I was serious about it and he gave me some encouragement. On the one hand this practice was atypical, but it would certainly be possible for me to do the same. I was made well aware of this. Before I applied to podiatry school I was well aware of what podiatry in general has to offer, and what some of the possibilities were. There is no doubt in my mind that some people may have difficulty with it, but I don't think it is inherent in the profession.

After much thought I decided that podiatry (while a small niche in the medical field) offered the best of what I was looking for while excluding a major portion of what I was not interested in. It worked out well both ways for me. This will obviously not be the same for everyone.

I take a cue from my earliest mentors and urge anyone considering this field to be aware of the probelms and pitfalls that it may entail. Find out what you are getting into. It can be a great field, though it amy have it's drawbacks. But it is not for everyone. Just be sure this is what you want to do before you start. To do that take s some time and effort in your own research. I won't belabour that more, just know what you are getting into before you do it. The same holds true for anything else.

If this really is what you want to do it can be great. If you are not sure, you may want to do a bit more soul-searching and other research.

Best of luck.

Eric,
Fantastic post! It is good to get a positive spin about podiatry on this forum as it is filled mostly with negative comments! Keep up the positive postings and keep pressing on to the rewarding career I know you will have.

Once again, I think Eric deserves huge props for continually posting what he feels to be true and honest.

It is a pleasure to see folks post honest and informative information. Nicely done!

that was what i was asking.

as for now, i think that i am gonna try some do schools. if not, i will try this school afterwards. :)

youngjock,

You are smart enough to already know this, but the methods you are utilizing for choosing a career path are the ones which lead to a life full of misery. Do something you enjoy.

Originally posted by ItsGavinC
youngjock,

You are smart enough to already know this, but the methods you are utilizing for choosing a career path are the ones which lead to a life full of misery. Do something you enjoy.

Considering how difficult it is to get into medical school -- a lot of people who want to go never get in -- I think it is wise for him to consider his options if medical school doesn't pan out.