How many times can you take the OAT?

FL Opt Girl

NSUCO c/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone :cool:

I know that you are logistically allowed to take the OAT an unlimited amount of times as long as they are no shorter than 90 days apart, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the limit is as far as admissions committees goes? If you take it more than once, does it send up a red flag (specifically for Nova)?

Thanks,

FL Opt Girl

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know about this? I was going to call one of the schools, but I thought that might be inappropriate to ask. lol Have any of you that have already interviewed/gotten accepted taken the OAT more than once?

I only took the OAT once and was accepted to PCO. However, I would assume that the more you take the exam, the less impressed the committee will be on your scores. Many people take the exam more than once, but I'm not sure what the "maximum" would be for an admissions committee. The best advice I have is to worry about it when the time comes. Just take the OAT exam after you feel comfortable and hope for the best. Besides the exam is expensive and that was one reason why I worked hard for my first attempt. I agree with you, it probably isn't a question you should ask of admissions because it will form an impression of you as someone who isn't a hard worker and that's the last thing you want. So I suggest to just take it easy and make an honest attempt at studying first. ;)

Thanks for your help! :) I think I'll definitely take that advice. I'm going to take an OAT course this summer and take as much time as I can to prepare when I don't have any classes interfering. The section I'm worried about most is the bio because I'm a marine sci major and have never taken a general biology course, only cell bio and genetics. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
No more than two is recommended...but schools like Nova, you could take it as many times as possible..

Cell bio and genetics will definitely help you out on the exam, but like you said, you definitely need to know your general bio. I'm a bio major but I still had to review the material since the majority of the exam topics I learned my freshman year. Marine science is interesting...I took a Marine Ecology course this past semester and it was great...not exactly easy but very interesting.