How many seats are offered each year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diidy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know approximately how many seats are offered to each entering class? Is it around 100? Or is it more?

I mean, I know it varies for each school, but what is the approx number?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know approximately how many seats are offered to each entering class? Is it around 100? Or is it more?

Yes, that depends on the program. At DMU, they can take up to 65.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think Scholl will fill around 100.

Really? Only that many? Do you have any idea on average of the number of applicants per school?

NYCPM is capped at 120(ish).

The total number of applicants for all the schools combined is around 700 but it varies every year.

I do not think the stats are released as to how many apply to each school and what the overlap is. It would be interesting to find that out.

Yeah. It would be intersting to know if there are more seats open than there are applicants. I read that in one of the other threads somewhere, and it kind of suprised me.

Yeah. It would be intersting to know if there are more seats open than there are applicants. I read that in one of the other threads somewhere, and it kind of suprised me.

From what I understand, I think that was the case several years ago when the number of apps went really down. But now its on the rise again. I think there are some stats and graphics about applications and admissions if you look on the aacpm website.

Per the CPME, DMU is accredited to take no more than 65. They can always choose to take less but that is the cap.

Not to be tit for tat, but CPMS choose the number of seats for approval. They have had larger classes in the past, and have now set the size at 65. They could ask the CPME to approve a 120 seats like NYCPM, but the powers that be do not feel that they can give each student the best education at that level.

Not to be tit for tat, but CPMS choose the number of seats for approval. They have had larger classes in the past, and have now set the size at 65. They could ask the CPME to approve a 120 seats like NYCPM, but the powers that be do not feel that they can give each student the best education at that level.

That is because the powers that be at DMU are genious!

No, the CPME sets a maximum according to how many students they feel a school can adequately teach according to things like patient load, facility size, faculty, etc. This is done during accreditation visits. After the visit, they send you a report that specifies a "seat cap". The boss told me that CPME had capped DMU at 65.

It is true that CPMS has had larger class sizes in the past but the cap was instituted by the CPME after some schools got carried away 10-15 years ago (you know, the whole students>residency slots issue).

No, the CPME sets a maximum according to how many students they feel a school can adequately teach according to things like patient load, facility size, faculty, etc. This is done during accreditation visits. After the visit, they send you a report that specifies a "seat cap". The boss told me that CPME had capped DMU at 65.

It is true that CPMS has had larger class sizes in the past but the cap was instituted by the CPME after some schools got carried away 10-15 years ago (you know, the whole students>residency slots issue).

I did know that the cap is 65. After reading the self evaluation, it was my understanding that that is where the school wanted the cap. I'm not disagreeing with the CPME cap but the school has not interest in a larger class size.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did know that the cap is 65. After reading the self evaluation, it was my understanding that that is where the school wanted the cap. I'm not disagreeing with the CPME cap but the school has not interest in a larger class size.

Screw it! Let's take 200 students a year. It's all about the $$$ :laugh:

Actually I just called Meghan at DMU today and she told me this year's class sized is only 45!!!!! They are about 1/2 filled as of today.

Actually I just called Meghan at DMU today and she told me this year's class sized is only 45!!!!! They are about 1/2 filled as of today.

That doesn't sound right. I don't know why they would only take 45 this year (especially with such a high number of applicants). I was with her last week and she said something about them already unofficially having 45 students in the class of 2011 so far with about half of the seat deposits. I'm guessing that is what she meant when she was speaking with you.

That doesn't sound right. I don't know why they would only take 45 this year (especially with such a high number of applicants). I was with her last week and she said something about them already unofficially having 45 students in the class of 2011 so far with about half of the seat deposits. I'm guessing that is what she meant when she was speaking with you.

That sure is possible. But when I asked her, I asked "What is the class size this year?" But maybe she misunderstood me. Anyhow I thought that number was super low! By the way, Meghan in admissions is super-duper nice. Helped me with all of my questions. Hope to be at DMU soon.

That sure is possible. But when I asked her, I asked "What is the class size this year?" But maybe she misunderstood me. Anyhow I thought that number was super low! By the way, Meghan in admissions is super-duper nice. Helped me with all of my questions. Hope to be at DMU soon.

Ya, Meghan is awesome.

I think it's beneficial to students to have a smaller class size. Our class was 62, we've lost something like 8 or 9 and gained 4 or 5 from last years class. I heard that they're looking at options for my class because not as many people are "out" (not that more will or will not go) as they expected and when we get to 3rd year, they (CPMS higher ups) are concerned that there won't be enough patient exposure to go around. This means that we'll start externing in our 3rd year instead of our 4th year, whether this happens or not is another story and obviously there are a lot of other factors still at play including time, so we'll see. But I think it would be nice to have a starting class of 50-55.

I think it's beneficial to students to have a smaller class size. Our class was 62, we've lost something like 8 or 9 and gained 4 or 5 from last years class. I heard that they're looking at options for my class because not as many people are "out" (not that more will or will not go) as they expected and when we get to 3rd year, they (CPMS higher ups) are concerned that there won't be enough patient exposure to go around. This means that we'll start externing in our 3rd year instead of our 4th year, whether this happens or not is another story and obviously there are a lot of other factors still at play including time, so we'll see. But I think it would be nice to have a starting class of 50-55.

That whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. Heck at Broadlawns alone, I've seen about 100 patients this month. I currently have seen just under 300 patients since the summer of our 2nd year.

Plus as stated previously, they have had much big classes in the past.

300! That's a lot of patients for a student, in my opinion. But I think I talked to you about this directly or maybe it was stated in one of the college meetings, that the amount of patients you see depends on the amount of motivation you have. If you want to see 10 patients a day that come in for toenail clipping, then so be it. Most will, but most want to see interesting cases also, that's more of what I was getting at with the externships. There's more than enough patients to be seen, but seeing 10 patients a day, 5 days a week for toenail clippings and only seeing a few of the more interesting cases (not that toenails aren't a mainstay in our future practices) per week or month, it doesn't make for good exposure, that's all I was getting at. Believe me, when I get to that point, I'll see anybody that's willing to let me examine them. Here's my advertisement, any takers? :D

That whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. Heck at Broadlawns alone, I've seen about 100 patients this month. I currently have seen just under 300 patients since the summer of our 2nd year.

Plus as stated previously, they have had much big classes in the past.

Ya, I think I saw about 450 patients my 3rd year. My 4th year, I'm over 1400 so far. Even with bigger classes, DMU students will get plenty of exposure to patients.

Did any of you see that letter in APMA news by Dr. Yoho? What do you think? I really think that one of the major problems is lack of knowledge of podiatry in undergrad. If it weren't for a well informed neurologist I would be unhappy in dental school. Not many know what pods do on a daily basis.

oncogene

Did any of you see that letter in APMA news by Dr. Yoho? What do you think? I really think that one of the major problems is lack of knowledge of podiatry in undergrad. If it weren't for a well informed neurologist I would be unhappy in dental school. Not many know what pods do on a daily basis.

oncogene

I agree. That is why I have gone back to my undergrad and made presentation. I think that the APMA is wasting time talking to the pod classes and should be going to undergrads to talk.

I called AZPOD office today and they're class size is only 35!!!! 12 or 13 seat which have been filled.

I called AZPOD office today and they're class size is only 35!!!! 12 or 13 seat which have been filled.

They are still under strict restrictions b/c they have a provisional accrediation. This is b/c they are new.

They are still under strict restrictions b/c they have a provisional accrediation. This is b/c they are new.

Oh, I see. That's good though. I would love to be in such a small tight-knit class. Plus the relationships with the fellow students would feel so much closer, dont you think? I cant wait to get to Pod school, the new courses, the new adventures, the new relationships...the beginning of the rest of my life!!!:eek:

Anyone know the incoming class size for Temple?

Oh, I see. That's good though. I would love to be in such a small tight-knit class. Plus the relationships with the fellow students would feel so much closer, dont you think? I cant wait to get to Pod school, the new courses, the new adventures, the new relationships...the beginning of the rest of my life!!!:eek:

I agree that a smaller class size means stronger class ties and better education, but some schools base there class size off of money.

One major advantage that CPMS and AZPOD have over the rest is they sit in the same classes as the DOs. So they are splitting the cost of the professors and general class expenses. That means they can make more money off few students. Just another reason why all schools should follow the CPMS formula. :D

I agree that a smaller class size means stronger class ties and better education, but some schools base there class size off of money.

One major advantage that CPMS and AZPOD have over the rest is they sit in the same classes as the DOs. So they are splitting the cost of the professors and general class expenses. That means they can make more money off few students. Just another reason why all schools should follow the CPMS formula. :D

Do the DO students ever act like they're better than the Pod students? Or vice versa? I could forsee that as being a problem.

Do the DO students ever act like they're better than the Pod students? Or vice versa? I could forsee that as being a problem.

Only amongst the idiots :laugh:

I actually made some very good friends in the DO class. It's kind of hard to act like you're better than someone when you're all taking the same classes. DMU has a great DO program.

Maybe in the beginning before the scores come back. We throw jokes at each other but the AZPod class of 2010 is very strong. I know a lot of pod students who score the highest on the exams.

What other schools have the DOs and Pods in the same classes?

That is a good question that I don't have the answer to. Anybody?

After some serious research on the DMU website I found the answer to my own question.

The class of 2009 has a 3.56 average overall GPA and a 3.49 average science GPA.

MCAT: The average MCAT score is 25.7, with a median writing sample of P.

After some serious research on the DMU website I found the answer to my own question.

The class of 2009 has a 3.56 average overall GPA and a 3.49 average science GPA.

MCAT: The average MCAT score is 25.7, with a median writing sample of P.

That is compared to the 3.37, 3.08 and a 22 average for the pods. I will say that the gap is closing. From what I have heard the incoming class has a slightly higher GPA and an MCAT average around 23. The dean made the comment that the goal is an average MCAT of 24 with 3.5, 3.3 GPAs.

Something else that is cool at DMU is they are mixing more and more classes. Pharm and physical diagnosis have DPMs, DOs and PA students. There is talk that after the new lab is done the PT students will take Gross Anatomy with the DPMs and DPs.

I'm sure that as time passes more and more classes will be merged.

That is compared to the 3.37, 3.08 and a 22 average for the pods. I will say that the gap is closing. From what I have heard the incoming class has a slightly higher GPA and an MCAT average around 23. The dean made the comment that the goal is an average MCAT of 24 with 3.5, 3.3 GPAs.

Something else that is cool at DMU is they are mixing more and more classes. Pharm and physical diagnosis have DPMs, DOs and PA students. There is talk that after the new lab is done the PT students will take Gross Anatomy with the DPMs and DPs.

I'm sure that as time passes more and more classes will be merged.

Yes, I was told that the average for the class of 2011 so far at DMU was 3.5, 24.

As I have posted before, according to the AACPM Booklet:

# of Seats Offered:
AZPOD: 30
CSPM: 40-48
Barry: 60
Ohio: 80
CPMS: 45-50
Scholl: 100
Temple: 75

NYCPM isn't listed in here. If you guys are bored there's a free booklet you can request from AACPM that has all of this info and other stuff: http://www.aacpm.org/apply/masterrequest.asp

As I have posted before, according to the AACPM Booklet:

# of Seats Offered:
AZPOD: 30
CSPM: 40-48
Barry: 60
Ohio: 80
CPMS: 45-50
Scholl: 100
Temple: 75

NYCPM isn't listed in here. If you guys are bored there's a free booklet you can request from AACPM that has all of this info and other stuff: http://www.aacpm.org/apply/masterrequest.asp

NYCPM is 120-126

ohio techinically is above 100 as well (which is beyond rediculous if you ask me - no school should let in more than 50 but thats just my opinion)

I was under the impression that the pod students at Scholl take anatomy with the md students. Is this incorrect?

I was under the impression that the pod students at Scholl take anatomy with the md students. Is this incorrect?

They do. But I believe they take lower limb separate. I'm not sure if they take the same tests.

ya, I can't imagine why the md students would take lower extremity anat. with the pods. That's a good question about the tests.

I'm curious why everyone disagrees witht the large class size at Scholl. I understand the worry about mediocre students getting in, but if their pass rate for boards is 95%, doesn't that say something about those 100 students? Or do they have a high failure rate in the first two years?

ya, I can't imagine why the md students would take lower extremity anat. with the pods. That's a good question about the tests.

I'm curious why everyone disagrees witht the large class size at Scholl. I understand the worry about mediocre students getting in, but if their pass rate for boards is 95%, doesn't that say something about those 100 students? Or do they have a high failure rate in the first two years?

We take the Clinical Anatomy class with the MD students, which includes very little (2 weeks) of lower extremity anatomy. Then we take a separate Lower Extremity Anatomy course which is much more detailed and rigorous. They do not get any more lower extremity training than that 2 weeks. Honestly, in our final clinical anatomy exam, we were not held responsible for certain details in the foot. All that detail would have been overwhelming for the amount of time the foot was covered which was about 3 days. That is why DPM's are considered the experts in the lower extremity.

Sure some mediocre students get into Scholl, however if your GPA or MCAT is low you have to meet with a counseler every week to make sure you are up to par. Also, there are some people who just can't make it, however I cannot gauge those numbers at this time. Possibly in the beginning of next fall I will be able to tell how many people left.