How many sciences classes would you recommend ?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a freshman college student, in order not to get over overwhelmed, how many sciences classes should I take at the first semester ? Is it wise to only take 2 sciences classes to see how it will turn out ?

I heard it is hard to handle 3 sciences classes in one semester.

Members don't see this ad.

My first semester, I had 8 hours of science courses (with labs), in addition to other courses. I would not recommend more than 2 science courses. Three is pushing it, especially if you have a laboratory component. Your advisor will have some suggestions regarding courseload as well.

FYI: My premed advisor recommends that incoming freshman take no more than 2 science courses their first semester.

Your freshman year is an adjustment. Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be.

Labs really suck up time. I agree, take two and see if you can handle them. I have taken 3 or 4 at a time though.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a freshman college student, in order not to get over overwhelmed, how many sciences classes should I take at the first semester ? Is it wise to only take 2 sciences classes to see how it will turn out ?

I heard it is hard to handle 3 sciences classes in one semester.

yea its hard to handle 3 but people do it all the time anyways. But if you dont have to, then why stress yourself with 3 science labs? I never took more than two a semester just because it wasnt worth it and i had the time to space it out, so i did. I have no regrets.

This is how my schedule has looked in terms of science with lab classes....

fresh sem 1: gen chem 1 and calc 1
freshm sem 2: gen chem 2 and calc 2
soph sem 1: ochem1
soph sem 2: ochem 2 and bio 1
summer: physics 1 and physics 2
jun sem 1: anatomy 1 and physiology 1
jun sem 2: anatomy 2 and diet/disease and exercise
sen sem 1: zoology
sen sem 2: biochemistry and biomechanics

Depends on the person. I find science heavy semesters to be my easiest. Writing and such are harder for me. Here's a break down of what I did. As a double(ish) science major, I have to take quite a bit more than most people. But it's definitely doable.

Semester 1 - Bio 1 and lab, Phys 1 and lab
Semester 2 - Phys 2, Calc 2, GChem 2 and lab, Discrete Math
Semester 3 - Bio 2 and lab, Phys 2 lab, Calc 3, OChem 1, Analytical Chem
Semester 4 - OChem 2 and lab, Microbiology
Semester 5 - Linear Algebra, Discrete Dynamical Systems, Complex Variables, Genetics
Semester 6 - Environmental Chem, Endocrinology, Advanced Calc, Math Tech Lab, Math Research Class

Try to take it lightly at the beginning. See how it feels. If you find science easy for you, take more classes the next semester.

Yeah, I like science classes because I can actually stomach studying for them, whereas studying for english/writing is like...well...bad.

It's really really not that bad.

I had 16h/week of science courses (3 lecture 3 lab for bio, 3 lecture, 3 lab for chem, 3 lecture 1 lab for physics), along with 3 hours of calculus and 3 hours of psychology in first semester.

The 3 core sciences and calculus are a pre-req for pretty much every other science course at my Uni, and so pretty much ever first year science student had a schedule like this and survived just fine so long as they applied themselves.

Yes, if you are going to drink and party 8 nights a week, stick with very few science courses, but if you actually intend to apply yourself, there is no reason not to have a full schedule.

Personally I think the science classes are not that bad, its the labs that kill me. Lots of fun busy work and huge blocks of time weekly!
FUN!

Honestly, for your first semester, I'd say no more than 2 sciences (with or without labs). Let yourself ease into college. I mean, the intro sciences aren't exactly impossible, but they're still way different than high school. Make the transition as smooth as possible.

It's really really not that bad.

I had 16h/week of science courses (3 lecture 3 lab for bio, 3 lecture, 3 lab for chem, 3 lecture 1 lab for physics), along with 3 hours of calculus and 3 hours of psychology in first semester.

The 3 core sciences and calculus are a pre-req for pretty much every other science course at my Uni, and so pretty much ever first year science student had a schedule like this and survived just fine so long as they applied themselves.

Yes, if you are going to drink and party 8 nights a week, stick with very few science courses, but if you actually intend to apply yourself, there is no reason not to have a full schedule.
This isn't typical, at all.

Ksmi117, I believe that you are good at math.