how many programs are you considering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rirriri

easy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious.

and you guys up for kickstarting the Mini Mafia again??? i tried a while back, but no one replied except Global Disrobal and Koehler :(

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pathminimafia/

i'm starting to get a bit excited about all this.

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 16, interviewed at 9 and ranked 3.

BCMD,

did you get my e-mail sir? i sent you one a couple days ago.

i'm currently trying to figure out how many programs to apply to....

cheers

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 6, invited to 6, went to 4.

I knew where I was going prior to the match, just went on a few interviews for backups just in case someone was really lying to me.

I am planning on applying to 5 or 6. But I also already know where I want to go. If I wasn't already dead set, I would probably check out more programs.

i'd like to tell you how many programs i'm applying to....but i don't wanna scare everyone just yet.

so i will wait a few weeks to let you know......i am still running calculations on the the numbers (if that gives you any kind of clue)

CHEERS

hey rirriri, I know you've mentioned that you are an IMG before, so a few questions:

1) What kind of programs are you targeting?
2) What kind of USMLE score do you have?
3) Were you core and elective rotations done in the US?
4) If so, were you able to do elevtive rotations in good path departments?

thanks and good luck!!

Originally posted by spinestudent
hey rirriri, I know you've mentioned that you are an IMG before, so a few questions:

1) What kind of programs are you targeting?
2) What kind of USMLE score do you have?
3) Were you core and elective rotations done in the US?
4) If so, were you able to do elevtive rotations in good path departments?

thanks and good luck!!

hey spinestudent,

1) As of right now, my future plans are more academic and i'd like to go into research. I know plans can change and i'd like to keep an open mind. I'm targeting University programs mainly. There are some Community programs that I will be applying to as well. I'd like to travel later while I work and wouldn't even mind leaving the US to do research.

2) My Step 1 score is low. 192/79.

3) ALL of my core rotations were done here in the US (i'm finishing Psych. at the end of August) and all my electives will be done here as well.

4) I found out last week that I've been approved for a Pathology elective at my #1 choice during the month of 0ctober. I am very pleased to get this kind of opportunity. It's a big University program in the midwest. I'm currently considering whether I should do a 2nd Path elective at another program where I actually have a friend as a PGY1 resident in Path.

any advice or input is GREATLY appreciated. I'm all ears.

cheers and thanks!

rirriri, I havent gone through the match myself so I'll let others give advice on most of these things.

Yeah, your step 1 score is low, but just remember that passing the steps/CSA/TOEFL and graduating from medical school will get you into SOME path program. Just like psych, IM, and FP.

Spinestudent,

Thanks for the encouragement. I will readily admit that while I am lacking some things in credentials (IMG, USMLE scores) I have more desire to do Pathology than many others. It has been the only thing I have wanted to do since I first did a pathology course.

I'm aiming to make an impression during my elective and land my #1 choice. That is my goal. I have always done things against the odds, and It has got me this far.

What is your situation? are you matching this year?

cheers!

and the rest of you??? come on! ...how many programs?

Hi there

Truthfully still deciding on how many places to apply - I did a PSF at UMass in Worcester, not sure if path was what I wanted to do, now I am sure. My problem is deciding where in the country I want to go. Am from mass but not sure I want to stay there, kind of like the midwest. As of now am planning on applying only in midwest and northeast (I need a winter). Will probably apply to quite a few but may not interview at all of them if I find a place I like. I am considering about 15 right now, haven't finalized my list yet.

I have 11 on my list right now, but if I'm lucky enough to be invited to interview at all of them, there are at least two that I won't go to. I'm hoping to interview at 8-9 max, because I'm currently in the midwest and applying mostly on the east coast, so it's going to be expensive enough with just that many.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, rirriri, how many are YOU applying to? I started panicking this weekend that I didn't have enough on my list, so I added two. Then I decided that I couldn't possibly apply to 13 (way too unlucky ;) ) so I added one more. I'm up to 14 now, but that's the limit!

ahem. *C0UGH*

well, i don't wanna scare anyone...but my situation calls for measures that ensure my acceptance into a university program.

errrr......so far the number is at: wait for it.....64.

pathology or bust?

actually, there are approximately 110 to 120 programs nationwide...hence, i'm hitting up about half.

and don't get me wrong...i DEFINITELY have certain programs I am targeting (about 10 or so), BUT my my backup plan is gigantic.

i don't encourage people to use this, ahem, 'method'...but for me it's what i require to compensate for shady USMLE scores and IMG status.

i'm applying at 20, hoping for at least 10 interview offers.

i just applied to about 40 progams! better to cancel interviews later on than to not get enough of them. :) Let me just say, it feels great to finally be done with that ERAS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rads19,

I don't mean to pry, but are you using Path as a backup for Rads??

If you are, I am wondering how common this is, and if it will contribute to an increase in the competitivness of Path.

Path and Rads seem like similar types of work, although I heard that most people going for Radiology are using Anes. as a backup because of the salary.

Thanks.

>>>>Path and Rads seem like similar types of work, although I heard that most people going for Radiology are using Anes. as a backup because of the salary.<<<

That makes me cringe.

i guess it's time to change that user name. i initially wanted to do radiology but realized i didn't have the numbers to get into it, according to the dean and program director at my school. so, i went with my 2nd choice, pathology. i ended up applying to just path. i'm not regretting it too much, and each day that goes by i get more and more excited about doing path. and i love the fact that there's no transitional/prelim year required! you're right, path is much more similar to rads than is anesth. people usually use anesth. as a backup b/c of the money and lifestyle, but i think they're mistaken. according to isersons, path makes 250K while anesth makes 236K.

It makes me cringe, because if people are picking their specialty based on money many are destined to be very unhappy.

I'm applying to 3 military and 7 civilian (most of the Texas programs) and I have always wanted forensic pathology so the money isn't so much of a factor for me.

josara,
Some forensics docs do very well it just depends on the situation. I know a private practice group that does nothing but forensics for a bunch of localities, they make very good money. Sure this is not the norm but those jobs are out there.

I am applying to ~ 24-30.

yaah said:
Hi there

Truthfully still deciding on how many places to apply - I did a PSF at UMass in Worcester, not sure if path was what I wanted to do, now I am sure. My problem is deciding where in the country I want to go. Am from mass but not sure I want to stay there, kind of like the midwest. As of now am planning on applying only in midwest and northeast (I need a winter). Will probably apply to quite a few but may not interview at all of them if I find a place I like. I am considering about 15 right now, haven't finalized my list yet.

oooo look at meee....i did a PSF....oooo

I did get with the program. I matched last march. We are very happy together and the relationship should last another 3-4 years I would hope. No moving in together yet though.

yaah said:
I did get with the program. I matched last march. We are very happy together and the relationship should last another 3-4 years I would hope. No moving in together yet though.
has L emailed you back yet? it's been a few days.

yaah said:
Tell you what - if she does, you will be the first to know. Don't count on it! I have moved on.
she's probably waiting a week.

What what what, what'd I miss? A lady friend??? :confused:

stormjen said:
yup...yaah's stalking a girl. he's really bent outta shape about this one though. he couldn't stop talking about it at our mini-SDN meet yesterday.

stormjen said:

Andy is attributing a bit more worrying about this to me than it deserves. I ran into a very cute future med student working in one of the labs at the hospital and I went down to the lab to talk to her, then I emailed her a joke and a brief message (nothing remotely serious) but she hasn't written back to me. So clearly she hates my guts. :cool:

yaah said:
Andy is attributing a bit more worrying about this to me than it deserves. I ran into a very cute future med student working in one of the labs at the hospital and I went down to the lab to talk to her, then I emailed her a joke and a brief message (nothing remotely serious) but she hasn't written back to me. So clearly she hates my guts. :cool:
oh blame it on Andy now! Andy tries to help a brutha out and this is the thanks he gets!

What happened to riri?

jeff2005 said:
What happened to riri?

I was just going to ask the same thing...I thought she (he?) was reentering the match this year.

I think riri was a she (but not 100% sure). I too wonder how she's(?) doing. Hopefully she's(?) doing aight.

AndyMilonakis said:
I think riri was a she (but not 100% sure). I too wonder how she's(?) doing. Hopefully she's(?) doing aight.

I don't think rirriri is a she. Don't know what he's doing though.

I wonder what happened to rirriri. I think he/she had to pull out of match last year due to not having his credentials/documents in order. Rirriri where are you? We need you to claim your gender and give us an update...