How many groups jumped on COVID testing when they had the chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of the groups out there walked outside and decided to catch all the mana from heaven and open a covid lab when they could, but it is a tiny fraction of what I would have expected.

Anyone else's group decide to leap into this or are most groups hyperallergic to money nowadays??

Maybe all the pathology groups thought "Mo' Money Mo' Problems??"

Members don't see this ad.

I tried to but was out-voted. I guess I could have gone rogue, but I made plenty of $$$$$ selling Pokemon and MTG. Remember when 1st ed PSA 10 Charzards were $5K each? I do :)

Members don't see this ad :)
In my area it was a lot of non pathologists jumping on it, doing all sorts of questionable testing.
I had one group approach me asking if I wanted to be medical director for their molecular lab. I asked what kind of testing they were doing and they replied, "PSR." I said, "P - S - R?" "Yeah, PSR. Can you help?" SMD.

Reactions: 2 users
I got on a conference call with a group of covid lab owners a few months ago. I was clearly the only American in the group, all were Middle Eastern guys. Fun guys but their bragging about buying Lamborghinis and paying to hook up with instagram models made it all the way to the Wall Street Journal. I said nothing on the call except "Hold it, hold it, did Mohamed just say he sold his labs and is now laying low?? Seriously, laying low??" The entire concept of discrete eluded them, I assume its a cultural thing. I actually had to google some terms from the call I was unfamiliar with..kultaan, Dubai portapotty etc. I advise no one to google those, I cannot unsee/unknow them now.

To say there was a sketchy non-MDs in covid testing is the ultimate understatement.

I had one group approach me asking if I wanted to be medical director for their molecular lab. I asked what kind of testing they were doing and they replied, "PSR." I said, "P - S - R?" "Yeah, PSR. Can you help?" SMD.

The oil companies by my hometown contracted with some shady medical ”company” a couple months into the pandemic. Anyone coming onto the oil company’s property was requited to have a negative test in the previous week before being allowed in. A negative antibody test. That wasn’t EUA.

I got on a conference call with a group of covid lab owners a few months ago. I was clearly the only American in the group, all were Middle Eastern guys. Fun guys but their bragging about buying Lamborghinis and paying to hook up with instagram models made it all the way to the Wall Street Journal. I said nothing on the call except "Hold it, hold it, did Mohamed just say he sold his labs and is now laying low?? Seriously, laying low??" The entire concept of discrete eluded them, I assume its a cultural thing.
Reminds me of Goodfellas after the Lufthansa heist when every mobster kept walking in with something loud like a fur coat or new pink Cadillac.

I got on a conference call with a group of covid lab owners a few months ago. I was clearly the only American in the group, all were Middle Eastern guys. Fun guys but their bragging about buying Lamborghinis and paying to hook up with instagram models made it all the way to the Wall Street Journal. I said nothing on the call except "Hold it, hold it, did Mohamed just say he sold his labs and is now laying low?? Seriously, laying low??" The entire concept of discrete eluded them, I assume its a cultural thing.

Some young dude and his wife got busted. Covid lab was a mess. Patients didn’t get results, lab samples all over the place. Dude was on social media showing off his house and lambos, etc.

I tried to but was out-voted. I guess I could have gone rogue, but I made plenty of $$$$$ selling Pokemon and MTG. Remember when 1st ed PSA 10 Charzards were $5K each? I do :)

I had the entire Beta Power 9 from MTG...sold it years ago for tickets to Disneyland to go with my GF who then promptly dumped me.

Some young dude and his wife got busted. Covid lab was a mess. Patients didn’t get results, lab samples all over the place. Dude was on social media showing off his house and lambos, etc.

Ummm yah I literally think that call resulted in half these guys getting arrested. I had no clue what a wretched hive of scum and villainy the lab industry had become.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the entire Beta Power 9 from MTG...sold it years ago for tickets to Disneyland to go with my GF who then promptly dumped me.
Damn. I had a very nice graded Beta P9 set but purchased a house ;) How much were tickets to Disneyland? Depending upon when you sold you should have at least had enough money to spend the weekend at a nice hotel. This makes me cry, though.

I know some of the groups out there walked outside and decided to catch all the mana from heaven and open a covid lab when they could, but it is a tiny fraction of what I would have expected.

Anyone else's group decide to leap into this or are most groups hyperallergic to money nowadays??

Maybe all the pathology groups thought "Mo' Money Mo' Problems??"

Yep, the new place I joined got in on the game in April 2020 and they've run over 1,000,000 PCR tests at this point.

It was really interesting to see at EWC this year all the new players that rapidly opened up a COVID lab with minimal prior lab experience. I'm wondering what they will pivot to as the COVID well starts to dry up.

Yep, the new place I joined got in on the game in April 2020 and they've run over 1,000,000 PCR tests at this point.

It was really interesting to see at EWC this year all the new players that rapidly opened up a COVID lab with minimal prior lab experience. I'm wondering what they will pivot to as the COVID well starts to dry up.

1m covid tests? R u serious? How big was your slice of that pie?

Well done.

The big thing most were pivoting to got slapped as well so who knows.

When you make a ton of money is it required that it goes on forever?? It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, heck once in centuries. From the number of retirements Ive seen, at least some of us got in on it.

1m covid tests? R u serious? How big was your slice of that pie?

Well done.

The big thing most were pivoting to got slapped as well so who knows.

When you make a ton of money is it required that it goes on forever?? It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us, heck once in centuries. From the number of retirements Ive seen, at least some of us got in on it.
That bull market after the Covid crash was a one in twenty years phenomenon from what I heard from well respected traders.