How many of you wanted to go into peds when you started med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebirdie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering out of you guys who are residents or finished their clerkships...did you have an inkling that you wanted to go into peds when you started medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Coming into medical school I wanted to do pediatrics. I volunteered in our school's student-run community pediatric clinic during my first year of medical school. I found it much harder to interact with these kids compared to my cousins and decided that I would not be good at it. But then when I did the clerkship during my third year, I found that like everything in medicine, interacting with kids is a skill that can be learned. I also hated treating noncompliant obese smoking adults. So now it is peds all the way for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hadn't a clue. Didn't decide until after my Pedi rotation.

I've known since I was a teenager that I wanted to do peds, and never changed my mind all the way through college/med school. Although back then I did think I was going to do peds heme/onc, something that I could never see myself doing now.

As a young child, I thought I would be a pediatric transplant surgeon! haha When I entered med school I did not think I'd be doing peds, I thought maybe FM was right for me. In some ways, peds vs. IM has been a toss up because I hope to do Allergy/Immunology in the future and you treat both children and adults after that fellowship.

But I've now decided that peds is for me.

This has been a fun thread because I really thought everyone besides myself, grew up wanting to do peds all the way. Glad to see I'm not the only convert.

had no idea. peds snuck up on me, too.

amazingly enough, in medical school i narrowed down my choices to peds, path, or EM. i think path was a side effect of patient burnout, lol. peds EM is attractive. so are a few other subspecialties, though being military limits my ability somewhat in obtaining fellowships (but that's another story).

--your friendly neighborhood PGY2 peds caveman

I was the vice-president of the anesthesiology interest group into 3rd year of med school...I was gonna do peds anesthesia...now NICU. So that's something of a change :D

I thought ER all the way, couldn't stand all the crying. Now I love neonates and will be pursuing a neonatology fellowship after finishing my residency. The irony.

Chose to do my peds rotation first in my 3rd year so I'd never have to touch another kid, but got hooked and here I am....

Came in thinking peds, briefly considered FM or psych during 2nd and 3rd years, and am now definitely settled back on peds :D