How many men get selected for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatCauthon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a table that lets us view the demographics for the match? I went to their website but they do not release stats based on gender, age, race, etc.

I've been going to a few regional conferences lately and I noticed an interesting trend: almost all of the residents present were female. There was 1 lone male resident sitting amongst almost 15 female residents. Also, in our graduating class-- none of the men who applied for residency were matched-- whereas almost 10 women were.

I'm sure what I am seeing is an anomaly, but I definitely thought it was kind of odd. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Of course, there is a higher % of women to begin with in pharmacy. But is there a possibility that women may be preferred due to more empathetic personalities overall? I've heard that is the trend in some of the medicine specialties that have a lot of direct patient interaction.

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of two guys in my class who even applied. One matched #1 choice and the other didn't get any interviews (but was a very poor candidate). On my four interviews, I saw ZERO male candidates. One of the sites I interviewed with did fill 2 of their 3 spots with dudes though. A couple of other local sites have a few guys matched. Not people I know, just from what I've heard.

I don't think it has anything to do with women being perceived as more empathetic. I think it's just sheer numbers in the pool.

Agree with A4MD. It's numbers. I'm trying to think of any of the guys in my class applying for residency and I don't think they did. Not sure why, there were some pretty sharp guys in there (and some pretty lucky-to-have-made-it ones too).

And I think a lot of residency-track people aren't headed towards direct patient care fields, so I don't think that's it either.

I asked the dean once why there were so many more women than men in pharm school. He said the guys' applications were nowhere near the caliber of the women for whatever reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet that men might be OVER represented among those who matched, based on the % of total residency candidates vs male residency applicants. The academic medical center in my city usually has 2 male residents and 2 female and I sincerely doubt that 50% of residency applicants are male.

I had five interviews (declined one) accounting for 9 total residency spots. I witnessed NO male candidates (but obviously they were there, just not on my interview day). Of those nine spots, 4 went to men (three through the match and one through the scramble).

So that's 40ish percent going to the boys team... highly anecdotal I know, but I don't think we're going to find anything more specific.

at my school, there are more girls who are super active/over-achieving than guys generally speaking. not sure why. and there are more guys with this "i don't care" attitude than girls.

most presidents of organizations are girls except Kappa Psi
most officers of every organizations are girls
majority of Rho Chi members are girls in my class 18 versus 7

the male to female ratio of the whole class is 40% to 60%

i am not surprised there are more girls who matched, they totally deserve that.

at my school, there are more girls who are super active/over-achieving than guys generally speaking. not sure why. and there are more guys with this "i don't care" attitude than girls.

:thumbup:

Most of my friends in pharmacy school are happy with getting by with the minimum. None of the guys care much for going into residency. They say they'd rather get themselves into a retail/hospital staff job asap and start making $$$.

I don't think there's an inherent bias. I know of one academic program that had 4/6 of the residents were guys this year -next year it will be 2/6 I believe. One year they had 3/4 guys.

Wow I am surprised by some of the percentages given here. Many of the overachievers in my class are male, as are most of the people I know who plan to do residency. I guess it varies from place to place. We certainly have male underachievers as well (such as myself), just so you don't think I am trying to say male>female.

Women typically have older spouses they can continue to leech of off.

Men typically want to get out there to support the family.

I know, I know, I'm sure you have examples that run counter to this, but I think its the case with a lot of men.

This was the case with me, too. Plus, I think residency is a sham and insidious plot by corporate powers to shift the cost of training even further onto the employee. So I refuse to do one on ideological terms, anyway.

I was looking at a large residency program with ~18-20 positions each year, and they had 90% female residents the last 3 years. Though I heard it evened up for the first time this year with 40-50% male.

Women typically have older spouses they can continue to leech of off.

Men typically want to get out there to support the family.

I know, I know, I'm sure you have examples that run counter to this, but I think its the case with a lot of men.

This was the case with me, too. Plus, I think residency is a sham and insidious plot by corporate powers to shift the cost of training even further onto the employee. So I refuse to do one on ideological terms, anyway.

lol agreed!

I personally think/feel there is some sort of hidden discrimination agenda against men in the pharmacy industry. I say this based on experience, not on statistics-studies.

My PGY1 year was 40% male and my PGY2 year we were only 10% male. After sorting through applications (not based on any real stats), the majority seem to be female.

When I was at uni in the UK during the 50s, ratio was 2/3 male and 1/3 female. Nowadays is 90% female. Pharmacy seen as ideal for girls because so much part time work available and can fit round family life. Pay in UK in all female dominated professions such as teaching and pharmacy has steadily declined relative to purchasing power as it was when I was young.

In 1960 on a pharmacist's wage I could buy a detached bungalow, now could not get a mortgage on same property.
johnep

Our class is 70% female. Not sure how the residency applications went this year, but when you start with that kind of discrepancy, it's not likely to improve.

The program I matched has 2 spots and was both men last year and will be this year.

Most places I interviewed at were all females. Its not easy as a man in this female dominated profession. We've got many glass ceilings to break through

the rutgers fellowship class picture is 20 females to 12 males. you would think that it would be more even in a "business oriented" career (which is traditionally male dominated) ... but nope.

interesting.

clubs, pharmacy governing council (5-7 girls to 2 guys), pharmacy greek life is also very female dominated

I personally think/feel there is some sort of hidden discrimination agenda against men in the pharmacy industry. I say this based on experience, not on statistics-studies.

I disagree. I have been in industry for 2 years and am doing quite well. I recently interviewed with multiple companies and did very well with all of them. If you just have your Pharm.D. you may be correct, but if you have supplemental degree(s) then you would know that there is a lot of mobility (both lateral and horizontal). What division are you in?

:thumbup:

Most of my friends in pharmacy school are happy with getting by with the minimum. None of the guys care much for going into residency. They say they'd rather get themselves into a retail/hospital staff job asap and start making $$$.

this.

I disagree. I have been in industry for 2 years and am doing quite well. I recently interviewed with multiple companies and did very well with all of them. If you just have your Pharm.D. you may be correct, but if you have supplemental degree(s) then you would know that there is a lot of mobility (both lateral and horizontal). What division are you in?

if you dont mind asking, what kind of work are you in? r