How many is too many pharmd fellowship applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

praev

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who navigated through Midyear for fellowship interviews?

How many programs are too many to apply and interview for? What would be a feasible amount?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Think about it this way: you have ~2.5 days to get through all of your interviews

Interview Availability
Saturday: 7 AM - 11 AM (Line); 12 PM - 5 PM Interviews
Sunday: 8 AM - 5 PM Interviews; Company Reception 6 PM - 9 PM
Monday: 8 AM - 5 PM Interviews; Company Reception 6 PM - 9 PM
Tuesday: ideally you wouldn't have many second round interviews this day because you would have missed the company receptions

Saturday interviews are pretty hard to get unless you are very early in the line. Each position will require 2-3 interviews x 30-45 minutes each + company reception. I believe the average is 5 - 8 positions, anything more than that gets pretty exhausting

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the response. Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having gone through the interview process and having interviewed candidates for my program and also the Rutgers program, I believe you can do 10+ interviews; it just depends on how much time you are willing to spend interviewing with different programs (yes, it can be exhausting, but it can also be well worth it) and your perceived likelihood of getting a fellowship based on your credentials and interviewing skills. Note that given the increasing number of applicants each year, I would play it safe and interview for at least most mid-to-upper tier programs within the field that you are considering. The reason is that given the diversity of students and interviewer preference, you can never really be 100% sure that you will get any particular fellowship position. Arranging your lower-preference interviews first can also help you "get in the zone" and mentally prepare for the interviews that truly count. Best of luck in December!

Reactions: 1 users
I initially signed up for 9 interviews. During one interview, the preceptor recommended that I interview for another position (consider leaving space for unpredictable events like this). So let's say 10 initial interviews - 6 Rutgers, 4 non-Rutgers.

By the end of the weekend, I ended up having 17 interview total. The 7 additional interviews were 2nd/3rd round interviews.

It was exhausting but worth it. Also consider that if you do well, you will have many receptions to attend in the evening which makes for very very very long days and nights. Keep in mind you still need to eat, use the restroom, etc.

While number of interviews is a concern and definitely something to consider, what may be more important to consider is whether there is a common thread between the programs you intend to interview for. Many programs will look down upon an applicant who seems to be dibbling and dabbling in every industry area just to "catch something." If you are looking into multiple program types, have an explanation for why that is.

Yea. This is a tricky question as everyone has different tolerance for stressful situations. Others thrive and look forward to it, others crumble.

It also depends on what type of fellowships you are applying for. For example:

- Majority of the standalone programs have 1-2 rounds max followed by a nice reception. Eg. Lilly Visiting Scientist Fellowship, Abbvie PDP, Dr. Reddy's, Novo.. etc
- The programs affiliated with universities like USC, UOS, UNC, etc have 2 rounds
- Rutgers & MCPHS have 3 rounds MAX & then the company specific reception followed by the school-wide reception (ridículo!)
- Other random ones are hard to judge

The problem lies when you get in situations when you are advancing to 2nd & 3rd rounds for a lot more programs than you anticipated. What was a 6-9 interview plan can easily double or triple when you take those advancements into consideration. Each interview is 30 mins long, so you must take into consideration

- 30 min goes by quickly
- Did I mention 30 mins goes by quickly!

Example 1: I was wrapping up a 2nd round with a Rutgers company @ 11am, who then offered me a 3rd round with the expectation to complete it rather quickly that day because the reception was that night (advisable to make sure to complete all your final interviews b4 that companies reception - did I lose you?) . I went ahead a scheduled it within a free 30 min block around 1p that day. I had a interview with a standalone program at 1:30p that was on the complete other side of the room - get the point..

Example 2: Receptions on the same night, same time, different hotel. Make a wise decision! (eyes are everywhere)

Example 3: Don't be the jackass the interviews for Clinical Development & Regulatory Affairs for the same company

Don't feel discouraged as others have mentioned if you bomb an interview and remember to interview the program as well. You are a doctoral candidate you have been thru worse studying infectious diseases. Goodluck and happy to help

Yea. This is a tricky question as everyone has different tolerance for stressful situations. Others thrive and look forward to it, others crumble.

It also depends on what type of fellowships you are applying for. For example:

- Majority of the standalone programs have 1-2 rounds max followed by a nice reception. Eg. Lilly Visiting Scientist Fellowship, Abbvie PDP, Dr. Reddy's, Novo.. etc
- The programs affiliated with universities like USC, UOS, UNC, etc have 2 rounds
- Rutgers & MCPHS have 3 rounds MAX & then the company specific reception followed by the school-wide reception (ridículo!)
- Other random ones are hard to judge

The problem lies when you get in situations when you are advancing to 2nd & 3rd rounds for a lot more programs than you anticipated. What was a 6-9 interview plan can easily double or triple when you take those advancements into consideration. Each interview is 30 mins long, so you must take into consideration

- 30 min goes by quickly
- Did I mention 30 mins goes by quickly!

Example 1: I was wrapping up a 2nd round with a Rutgers company @ 11am, who then offered me a 3rd round with the expectation to complete it rather quickly that day because the reception was that night (advisable to make sure to complete all your final interviews b4 that companies reception - did I lose you?) . I went ahead a scheduled it within a free 30 min block around 1p that day. I had a interview with a standalone program at 1:30p that was on the complete other side of the room - get the point..

Example 2: Receptions on the same night, same time, different hotel. Make a wise decision! (eyes are everywhere)

Example 3: Don't be the jackass the interviews for Clinical Development & Regulatory Affairs for the same company

Don't feel discouraged as others have mentioned if you bomb an interview and remember to interview the program as well. You are a doctoral candidate you have been thru worse studying infectious diseases. Goodluck and happy to help

I am planning to apply for the fellowship for next year and wanted to know that if rutgers FIND event is really good opportunity to meet the fellows and preceptor?? Also I graduated this year and I am working as Pharmacist in retail, would that affect the application?

I am planning to apply for the fellowship for next year and wanted to know that if rutgers FIND event is really good opportunity to meet the fellows and preceptor?? Also I graduated this year and I am working as Pharmacist in retail, would that affect the application?

FIND is great. It really is a no pressure situation. As far as working retail, it doesn't help honestly.