How many interviews to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you guys think? I have 7 so far. How many more do I need to be safe?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think? I have 7 so far. How many more do I need to be safe?

Thanks

I think you're pretty much safe! If I remember correctly on avg people had 6-7 interviews and had 4 or so offers. I may be wrong. You should somehow be able to access the stats for the match for previous years (although it was with San Fran match so maybe you won't be able to get to it).

I think you're pretty much safe! If I remember correctly on avg people had 6-7 interviews and had 4 or so offers. I may be wrong. You should somehow be able to access the stats for the match for previous years (although it was with San Fran match so maybe you won't be able to get to it).

Thanks. I tried, but could not find it. If anyone knows the link please post it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't get offers. You get matched, and if everyone plays by the rules you'll never know who ranked you where. At least that's my understanding of the process. What's this "offer" business of which you speak?

Re-reading that it sounds like I'm being a jerk. I'm not trying to, I'm just too lazy to make it sound otherwise. I'm really curious about the validity of my understanding of the system.

If you are an IMG, you can get offers outside the match. Some programs have internal rules forbidding this, but as far as the ACGME et al. are concerned, it is legit. This would be the only advantage of being an IMG in the match.

If you are an IMG, you can get offers outside the match. Some programs have internal rules forbidding this, but as far as the ACGME et al. are concerned, it is legit. This would be the only advantage of being an IMG in the match.

How about DO's???

Not if you attend an osteopathic school in the US. Only IMG's can prematch.

Not if you attend an osteopathic school in the US. Only IMG's can prematch.

Is this really a "prematch?" When I went through the match (16 years ago), there was a post-match scramble in which unmatched candidates would call around to programs that had unfilled spots, and that's when these kinds of "offers" took place (for anyone, e.g. US MD/DOs and IMGs. Maybe things have changed.

An for those who matched, you normally had no idea if you had gotten other "offers." The only way I found out that I'd gotten other "offers" was that two programs had written me asking me to answer questios about why I had not ranked them more highly than I did...

Nick

Don't panic.... for an IMG to get a prematch offer he has to be some SUPER SUPER star... that he/she would have matched anyway.

Thanks. I tried, but could not find it. If anyone knows the link please post it.

I used to have the pdf of the Neuro stats but misplaced it. Not sure if other people might have it.

You don't get offers. You get matched, and if everyone plays by the rules you'll never know who ranked you where. At least that's my understanding of the process. What's this "offer" business of which you speak?

Re-reading that it sounds like I'm being a jerk. I'm not trying to, I'm just too lazy to make it sound otherwise. I'm really curious about the validity of my understanding of the system.

In the stats sheet that San Francisco match emailed out, they do have a row that specifies the "Avg. Number of Offers per Applicant." I understood this to mean, had you ranked the program high enough, you would have matched there.

Indeed you'll never know where else you match unless a program contacts you about it. I only had one such program do that last year.