How long should the lock down last?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is school reopening going for everyone? Our state starts this week with a variety of poorly thought out plans....

Members don't see this ad.

How is school reopening going for everyone? Our state starts this week with a variety of poorly thought out plans....
We start in two weeks with a variety of poorly thought out plans. Schools are operating under the assumption that they will be shut down MULTIPLE times during this school year. Parents have received almost no communication except ‘schedules will be mailed Friday.’

One district here is not opening. The rest are opening with the assumption they won't ever need to shut down, which has resulted, in my district (which is planning full virtual or full five day a week attendance) at least, in every second home owner moving here, thus not allowing for any kind of distancing/pods, nor enough staff to do virtual and in person.

Members don't see this ad :)
This virus has caused the dumbest behavior I've ever witnessed in humans and politicians. It was an especially high bar for politicians to overcome.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
This virus has caused the dumbest behavior I've ever witnessed in humans and politicians. It was an especially high bar for politicians to overcome.

Shockingly the highly praised success story of NZ that everyone gets hard over has four new cases after one hundred days with none. Thought they cured it dang.

Who would have guessed a virus is doing virus like things.

Reactions: 1 user
Shockingly the highly praised success story of NZ that everyone gets hard over has four new cases after one hundred days with none. Thought they cured it dang.

Who would have guessed a virus is doing virus like things.

It's amazing how no one seems to understand how respiratory viruses work. Any freedom of movement and interaction is going to spread it.

NZ has had like 4 cases over the last 3 months...I think that is really impressive. But sure, go ahead and take a victory lap that a few people there recently came down with the virus. We showed them!

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
NZ has had like 4 cases over the last 3 months...I think that is really impressive. But sure, go ahead and take a victory lap that a few people there recently came down with the virus. We showed them!

It's more for the people that thought it was infallible with an obvious touch of sarcasm smart one. Obviously four cases is completely negligible. Although they essentially did a complete stay at home order crippling the cities economy for the four cases.

We are starting off remotely...and I think there is a 50/50 chance the entire year will be remote. People out here are stubbornly risk adverse to everything. Plus they can afford to keep their kids out of school

We don't start until beginning of September, have two options, one asynchronous on-line, the other synchronous. My kid is going into 9th grade at a science/math focused public school so we'll be doing the synchronous learning with the actual teachers she'll be seeing once she gets to show up in person...if she gets to show up in person...

Pretty frustrating.

private school opened monday all kids on campus as they stated they did not have resources for remote learning at the same time (school prob would have folded if on line only as everyone would enroll in local public schools)
kids temp screened at drop off, getting on bus (bus 50% capacity)
3rd grade and up masks (gaiter masks encouraged for ease of use)
desks 6ft apart
lunch at desk
pe in class group (outside only)
water bottle from home only (milk at lunch)
teachers were allowed to be on leave w/o pay if they wanted (only 1 did)

My observations on why this could work at my school (we just started):
basically resources
parents asked to drop off if they could instead of bus (50%) to save room (most did)
school has a lot of space
funny thing is the time management in school seems to work out better, I guess a lot of time was spent lining up for different things and waiting around ie: switching classes, lunch, end of day etc.

Reactions: 1 users
All of the above sounds great, and I'm glad some schools can open.......but it's all nonsense. There is no scientific reason to do any of the above measures with kids under 13.

It's all just expensive, nonsense security theater (like the TSA) to make people feel safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
We start in two weeks with a variety of poorly thought out plans. Schools are operating under the assumption that they will be shut down MULTIPLE times during this school year. Parents have received almost no communication except ‘schedules will be mailed Friday.’
All of the above sounds great, and I'm glad some schools can open.......but it's all nonsense. There is no scientific reason to do any of the above measures with kids under 13.

It's all just expensive, nonsense security theater (like the TSA) to make people feel safe.

I thought most research on transmissibility focused on 10 and under, not 13. Do you have a link?

It's more for the people that thought it was infallible with an obvious touch of sarcasm smart one. Obviously four cases is completely negligible. Although they essentially did a complete stay at home order crippling the cities economy for the four cases.

As they should have. They have been spared the effects of the virus by acting early and decisively. By doing so again they may be able to prevent a widespread outbreak that would have long lasting economic effects. Their situation (small and containable amount of cases) is precisely the time to act boldly. Once you're at 60k cases/day lets just say the horse is out of the barn.

Reactions: 6 users
Exactly. The data aren't as clear as you intimate, are still evolving regarding kids.

I think in young children it's about as clear as you can get these days. They are also the ones must vulnerable to child abuse, malnurition and cognitive decline from not being in school.

I think in young children it's about as clear as you can get these days. They are also the ones must vulnerable to child abuse, malnurition and cognitive decline from not being in school.

Lol you at least better get the age right. There is decent evidence they are less likely to get sick; transmission data are less clear.
It's a mystery to me why school=food; isn't there some other way to feed kids? Aren't parents supposed to do this? Have kids been starving en mass since March?

Lol you at least better get the age right. There is decent evidence they are less likely to get sick; transmission data are less clear.
It's a mystery to me why school=food; isn't there some other way to feed kids? Aren't parents supposed to do this? Have kids been starving en mass since March?
A good number of kids eat 2 meals a day free at school

Many low SEC school districts not only provide their entire student body with 2 free meals a day, but also have programs with community food banks to send the kids home with food in their backpacks for the weekend, and run USDA supported summer food programs too.

Many low SEC school districts not only provide their entire student body with 2 free meals a day, but also have programs with community food banks to send the kids home with food in their backpacks for the weekend, and run USDA supported summer food programs too.

Which is insane on a number of levels, especially with the levels of obesity and the junk they receive from USDA.

We should definitely focus on opening schools for younger kids, but it seems like most districts are all or nothing.

Which is insane on a number of levels, especially with the levels of obesity and the junk they receive from USDA.

We should definitely focus on opening schools for younger kids, but it seems like most districts are all or nothing.

LIke a lot of things with this pandemic, it doesn't make a lot of sense. We are supposed to "follow the science" unless it's politically convenient not to.

I think schools are under a ton of pressure to reopen all grades. I agree they should have resisted and focused on grade schools, but parents insisted. It's unfortunate- younger children need classroom instruction more, and can't supervise themselves at home.

I think it's largely a lost cause (trying to get schools to open up)...with reports that upwards to 100 kids in a school having COVID-19, teachers will want to teach from home. What are we going to do. Lobby the teachers union?

I just wish we could get some rebate on our property taxes, and that's not going to occur either.

Yes, feeding your own kids is supposed to be part of the deal but society has started letting parents offload that duty to schools. It’s a bad idea

Yes, feeding your own kids is supposed to be part of the deal but society has started letting parents offload that duty to schools. It’s a bad idea

I totally agree. I don't want kids to starve, but at least make the parents cook or send a lunch. Can't anyone stick a filling between two slices of bread? Is this really beyond the ability of 50% of the adults in this country?

I totally agree. I don't want kids to starve, but at least make the parents cook or send a lunch. Can't anyone stick a filling between two slices of bread? Is this really beyond the ability of 50% of the adults in this country?
It’s the less encouraging part of the parable, “teach a man you will feed their kids fish regardless of their contribution and the man will eventually blane you for starving his kids if you stop”

Have you seen patients in the ED lately???

Have you seen patients in the ED lately???

I live in a highly functional area. But yes. I also think if one can't spread Sunbutter or whatever the PB&J alternative is, and you are sending your kids to school for french toast sticks (whatever that is-eew), raising children is above one's skill set.

The only kids I saw with significant emaciation had anorexia nervosa at the juvenile prison. Most were truants.

I think schools are under a ton of pressure to reopen all grades. I agree they should have resisted and focused on grade schools, but parents insisted. It's unfortunate- younger children need classroom instruction more, and can't supervise themselves at home.
Older children need in classroom instruction too, for music education, STEM classes, and to help them be college ready. I feel for the high schoolers in their last couple of years that are really missing out on opportunities to distinguish themselves for college applications. Most of the K-2 curriculum is repeated year after year.

There doesn’t seem to be one good way to handle this though so every age group gets what they need.

I live in a highly functional area. But yes. I also think if one can't spread Sunbutter or whatever the PB&J alternative is, and you are sending your kids to school for french toast sticks (whatever that is-eew), raising children is above one's skill set.

Interestingly, through reverse-darwinism those with the least resources and ability to parent are the ones who have the most children. Unfortunately they raise kids also without a basic ability to do ADLs and the cycle continues.

Interesting article about Sweden. Although their economy contracted in Q2, it was significantly less than other countries.

EfENIm8XkAAZYMw

Interesting article about Sweden. Although their economy contracted in Q2, it was significantly less than other countries.

EfENIm8XkAAZYMw
I just got back from a great relaxing vacation of boating, skiing, hiking, stargazing, socializing and eating like a pig, with very little thought about viruses or pandemics. Please update me. Is the virus still doing what viruses do?

School opening doesn’t seem to be going that great in MS. Hopefully they don’t have too much morbidity or mortality.
Also, teacher salaries really continue to be horrible. $33,000 starting out, ugh. I made a little more than that at my first job after college over 15 years ago in a "helping" profession as well.

It’s no wonder a lot of politicians are totally out of touch with reality. I wonder how many could raise a family on 33,000. Anyway....

"Mississippi Is What a School Reopening S**tshow Looks Like: 'How bad does it have to get? Is it a certain number of cases? Is it one death? Well, we’ve already had one teacher who died.'"

A Daily Beast article and the "one guy died" rule. Let's apply that to Medicine.

"We can't intubate this person!"

Why?

"Because 'one guy died' when someone intubated wrong. Intubation is a 'sh*tshow, dontcha know? The Daily Beast said so!"

Forget all the peer reviewed articles. Forget entire continents experiences. Forget that the "one guy" might not have even gotten COVID-19 at work, or that he might have died of a heart attack but tested positive afterwords or that we know nothing about him or if he even exists. Forget that all activities in life have risk. Because emotions rule, better if in 140 characters or less, with no thought needed or shared greater than 10,000 times. Edgy articles if cleverly written, win. Facts lose.

So, if your hospital ever had even one nosocomial infection that lead to sepsis and death, ever; then you've got to close your whole hospital. You've got to close ALL hospitals. You can't drive to work because "one guy..."no ten, guys..." "no, thousands of guys died doing it!" And because some millennial with a journalism degree at the Daily Beast with a talent for hot-button headlines said so.

Last edited:
A Daily Beast article....hmm. Nice. Do you teach medical students and residents? Is that how you practice medicine? By the "one guy died" rule?

"Nope, we can't intubate this person "cuz one guy died" when someone intubated wrong. You can't give that guy with meningitis antibiotics, either, in fact, you've got to ban all antibiotics."

Why?

"Cuz 'one guy died,' ya know, of an allergic reaction. To antibiotics. Because antibiotics are a 'sh*tshow, because the Daily Beast said so!"

Forget all the peer reviewed articles posted. Forget entire continent experiences. Forget that the "one guy" might not have even gotten COVID-19 at work, or that he might have died of a heart attack but tested positive afterwords or that we know nothing about him or if he even exists. Forget that all activities in life have risk. Emotions rule, better if in 140 characters or less, with no thought needed or shared greater than 10,000 times. Edgy articles if cleverly written, win, facts lose. If your hospital ever had even one nosocomial infection that lead to sepsis and death, then you've got to close your whole hospital. You've got to close all hospitals. You can't drive to work because "one guy, no ten, no thousands died doing it!" And because some millennial with a journalism degree at the Daily Beast with a talent for pithy, hot-button headlines said so.

No I wasn’t talking about because one person died. I meant it’s not going well because already 100 students have to quarantine. It just seems like if there’s high community spread it’s going to defeat the purpose of trying to have in person school when a lot of teachers and staff are going to have to continuously quarantine as that is what health experts are recommending to do right now. I know the "pod" model won’t work everywhere but would help to make it so less people have to quarantine.

I know some people want to let Covid run it’s course and open schools, but for now the health experts are saying people should quarantine if exposed. Therefore when you’re in a place with high community spread and open schools without mask mandates or enforcing social distancing it doesn’t seem like it’s going to go well as many kids will end up at home anyway. I can’t tell if they have set up a virtual option for kids that miss school.

Yes I should’ve included a different article, you’re correct as the daily beast isn’t as reputable of source.

Here’s another one:

No I wasn’t talking about because one person died. I meant it’s not going well because already 100 students have to quarantine.
Yep, they quarantined 100 students that didn't have any fever, cough, shortness of breath or any symptoms at all. That proves nothing to me but they got bad advice or reacted emotionally, without any valid medical recommendations whatsoever.

It just seems like if there’s high community spread
There's already high community spread, all summer, with no school. I'm not sure what you'd accomplish by closing school, other than mimic a summer without school, when the virus spread widely.

...a lot of teachers and staff are going to have to continuously quarantine ...
There's absolutely no reason to "continuously quarantine" just because you were in the same room with someone with COVID-19. None. The CDC doesn't recommend that. No one worth listening to, recommends that.

... for now the health experts are saying people should quarantine if exposed. ...
Everyone has been "exposed" to COVID-19 at this point, it's everywhere and 1/2 the people with it, don't know they have it. Everyone in every ER, every primary care office, every Walmart worker, every cab driver, airline attendant, every cop, every teacher on summer break, has been "exposed." We can't all quarantine, all the time. This virus is here. It's not going away anytime soon. Quarantining people who aren't sick, at a time where community spread, meaning everyone is assumed to potentially be exposed, is not possible and makes no sense.

Therefore when you’re in a place with high community spread and open schools without mask mandates or enforcing social distancing it doesn’t seem like it’s going to go well ...
Taking no precautions is stupid. I'm not advocating "doing nothing." I advocate people masking up, washing their hands, using sanitizer, getting on with life. Then, if COVID + or with symptoms, you stay home until COVID -, symptom free and 14 days pass. If someone can't accept that, self-quarantine yourself and family, forever. I think that option should always be open.

Yes I should’ve included a different article, you’re correct as the daily beast isn’t as reputable of source.

Here’s another one:
I'm not wasting my time on any pop culture articles that are about "people somewhere that have some kind of job have COVID." Right wing, left wing, independent, I don't care. You could post 100 articles from the best Pulitzer Prize winning outfits that follow that formula and I won't read a single one, because they don't change a thing. "Some doctors in Nebraska got COVID, must ban doctoring..." "Some plumbers in Alabama got COVID, must ban plumbing..." They're all junk and do nothing but toy with emotions. Post a scientific article written by someone with a degree in Medicine or science and you might get my attention.

We've had millions of cases of COVID-19 in the past 3 months in this country. Many of them kids, many of them teachers, without any school. Not having school didn't stop COVID. Shutting down the country, whole states, didn't stop COVID. Nothing will stop COVID, short of immunity, either via vaccine or infection. Nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yep, they quarantined 100 students that didn't have any fever, cough, shortness of breath or any symptoms at all. That proves nothing to me but they got bad advice or reacted emotionally, without any valid medical recommendations whatsoever.

There's already high community spread, all summer, with no school. I'm not sure what you'd accomplish by closing school, other than mimic a summer without school, when the virus spread widely.

There's absolutely no reason to "continuously quarantine" just because you were in the same room with someone with COVID-19. None. The CDC doesn't recommend that. No one worth listening to, recommends that.

Everyone has been "exposed" to COVID-19 at this point, it's everywhere and 1/2 the people with it, don't know they have it. Everyone in every ER, every primary care office, every Walmart worker, every cab driver, airline attendant, every cop, every teacher on summer break, has been "exposed." We can't all quarantine, all the time. This virus is here. It's not going away anytime soon. Quarantining people who aren't sick, at a time where community spread, meaning everyone is assumed to potentially be exposed, is not possible and makes no sense.

Taking no precautions is stupid. I'm not advocating "doing nothing." I advocate people masking up, washing their hands, using sanitizer, getting on with life. Then, if COVID + or with symptoms, you stay home until COVID -, symptom free and 14 days pass. If someone can't accept that, self-quarantine yourself and family, forever. I think that option should always be open.

I'm not wasting my time on any pop culture articles that are about "people somewhere that have some kind of job have COVID." Right wing, left wing, independent, I don't care. You could post 100 articles from the best Pulitzer Prize winning outfits that follow that formula and I won't read a single one, because they don't change a thing. "Some doctors in Nebraska got COVID, must ban doctoring..." "Some plumbers in Alabama got COVID, must ban plumbing..." They're all junk and do nothing but toy with emotions. Post a scientific article written by someone with a degree in Medicine or science and you might get my attention.

We've had millions of cases of COVID-19 in the past 3 months in this country. Many of them kids, many of them teachers, without any school. Not having school didn't stop COVID. Shutting down the country, whole states, didn't stop COVID. Nothing will stop COVID, short of immunity, either via vaccine or infection. Nothing.

You are back from your vacation, long posts and all! :rofl:

I'm honestly not sure what you're ranting about. Someone above asked how school was going in places.
Therefore I posted an article that talks about how some schools are going in MS and already 100 kids have had to quarantine.
Yes the cdc is still recommending that people quarantine in the community if they've been exposed (less than 6 feet for greater than 15 minutes), so that's what schools seem to be going by. Hence my comment that it seems like in places with high community spread teachers and students are going to be on an on-going cycle of being quarantined. They'll stay home for 14 days, return to school, then get exposed again 2 days later and have to go back home.

Yes you can disagree with how that is being handled in regards to following the cdc guidelines and think that no one should be quarantined, but that is not what is happening in schools based on guidelines that schools are following...hence my post saying things aren't going well because teachers and students are going to get quarantined over and over most likely in areas with higher community spread if they continue to follow these guidelines.

cdc guidelines for the community:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm honestly not sure what you're ranting about.
That's just what I do. Don't take it personally.

Yes the cdc is still recommending that people quarantine in the community if they've been exposed (less than 6 feet for greater than 15 minutes), so that's what schools seem to be going by.
If they're really applying a "less than 6 feet from a person for greater than 15 minutes" standard, then what the heck are they doing in the schools you're talking about, where they are hovering continuously in a students personal space for 15 minutes or more at a time? This isn't rocket science. Get 6.1 feet away, you've got 14 minutes to do it: Go. Seems if you can get your teaching certificate, you can figure that one out.

They'll stay home for 14 days, return to school, then get exposed again 2 days later and have to go back home.
Only if they can't figure out how to read a one page guideline written by the CDC, which requires a 6th-grade-science level of comprehension.

.hence my post saying things aren't going well because teachers and students are going to get quarantined over and over most likely in areas with higher community spread if they continue to follow these guidelines.
No, things are not going to go well, if they can't even figure out how to read and apply a basic one page guideline from the CDC, or if they need more than 15 minutes to figure out how to get greater than 6 feet from a person. Things also are not going well if they don't want them to go well, which has become clear to me. They're rather use COVID-19 as leverage to either get paid to stay at home, get paid more, or otherwise extort their employers.

Let's just agree to disagree. The people that want to continue to live in fear, can continue to live in fear of COVID, car accidents, sharks and flying. The people that want special exemptions for teachers no other workers get can continue to advocate for them. Teachers that think it's okay for kids to have summer jobs feeding teachers Chick-Fil-A at the drive through because that's "safe," but school must be banned for my kids because that's "unsafe," can continue to try to extort the taxpayers. And life will go on.

Last edited:
You are back from your vacation, long posts and all! :rofl:
Lol. The funny thing is, I've actually been trying to keep my posts under 100 words or less, the past 6 months or so. Obviously I failed on that one. I guess I'm a little irritated my vacation's over. And I'm dealing with a helluva swimmers ear after all that waterskiing, swimming across the lake and jumping like a 12-year-old kids off the 2nd floor of the boathouse we rented.

For the past week I spent very little time on SDN or the internet at all, spent very little time thinking about pandemics or politics, didn't turn on the TV for 1 second, never set an alarm, and it was great. I did a lot of catching up with old friends, watching our kids play, hiking to waterfalls, watching campfires and the Perseid meteor shower (which is still going on for another 10 days, btw). I also happened to experience an Earthquake for the first time in 42 years, the last of which I still remember, from the one and only time I was in San Francisco at the age of 5. This was the first noticeable earthquake (5.1 richter) in NC in almost a century, so they're saying (still nothing, compared to a west coast quake). I listened to a lot of Bob Marley, Buffett (only a little bit of the Dead) and some (for my friend) U2, Coldplay and Beastie Boys. And I gained 10 pounds, lol. Literally, 10 ***king pounds. Seriously :lol:. In 1 week. That's some good living, if you ask me.

Now back to alternating between work and pointless arguing on the internet, until the next vacay, Lol.

Last edited:
That's just what I do. Don't take it personally.

If they're really applying a "less than 6 feet from a person for greater than 15 minutes" standard, then what the heck are they doing in the schools you're talking about, where they are hovering continuously in a students personal space for 15 minutes or more at a time? This isn't rocket science. Get 6.1 feet away, you've got 14 minutes to do it: Go. Seems if you can get your teaching certificate, you can figure that one out.

Only if they can't figure out how to read a one page guideline written by the CDC, which requires a 6th-grade-science level of comprehension.

No, things are not going to go well, if they can't even figure out how to read and apply a basic one page guideline from the CDC, or if they need more than 15 minutes to figure out how to get greater than 6 feet from a person. Things also are not going well if they don't want them to go well, which has become clear to me. They're rather use COVID-19 as leverage to either get paid to stay at home, get paid more, or otherwise extort their employers.

Let's just agree to disagree. The people that want to continue to live in fear, can continue to live in fear of COVID, car accidents, sharks and flying. The people that want special exemptions for teachers no other workers get can continue to advocate for them. Teachers that think it's okay for kids to have summer jobs feeding teachers Chick-Fil-A at the drive through because that's "safe," but school must be banned for my kids because that's "unsafe," can continue to try to extort the taxpayers. And life will go on.

I’m not taking it personally. Just wondering who your rant is towards.
I was just posting the article in response to someone wondering how school opening is going.

As the article stated kids huddle around like kids normally do so it’s pretty clear that quarantining when positive cases happen is what’s going to keep happening. Therefore why I said it doesn’t seem to be going well since kids and students are going to end up at home in areas of high community spread.

Not sure what we’re agreeing to disagree on since I was just posting the article for info.

I’m certainly not living in fear although I saw some pretty horrific things with my patients in April- early June and now many with lasting symptoms. I hope we don’t have to live through that again that’s for sure.

I’m not taking it personally. Just wondering who your rant is towards.
I was just posting the article in response to someone wondering how school opening is going.

As the article stated kids huddle around like kids normally do so it’s pretty clear that quarantining when positive cases happen is what’s going to keep happening. Therefore why I said it doesn’t seem to be going well since kids and students are going to end up at home in areas of high community spread.

Not sure what we’re agreeing to disagree on since I was just posting the article for info.

I’m certainly not living in fear although I saw some pretty horrific things with my patients in April- early June and now many with lasting symptoms. I hope we don’t have to live through that again that’s for sure.
I’m ranting at anyone who thinks I should accept risk by being teachers’ doctor during the existence of COVID, but that teachers shouldn’t return the favor by being my kids’ teacher during COVID.

Essentially confirming a pediatric mortality rate of <0.1%. Even stating many of the deaths are questionably related to COVID at all.

Without a doubt schools should be open and high risk people need to stay away from kids.
I don’t think it’s appropriate for high-schoolers or 7th and 8th graders to be left at home all day. Pregnancies will soar, violence likely would rise. Too much idle time and youthful angst aren’t a good combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.