How long PTCAs took to process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my application to PTCAs 2 weeks ago. They had already received my transcript, letters of recommendations, and PT house. How long should it take for them to calculate my GPA, process everything, and send my application to schools? I know they say 5 weeks but did it really take that long for anyone?! I want schools to receive my application already!

Members don't see this ad.

Try in another 10 years. Seriously. I e-submitted my application in the beginning of August and then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago (about 6 weeks after I had submitted) PTCAS was emailing me to tell me what I needed to edit so that my app could be finalized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great. I already have all documents sent in so i guess the only thing that could go wrong was the way i entered in my classes...

i applied to VCU, Old dominon, UMD, marymount, thomas jefferson, and temple

Great. I already have all documents sent in so i guess the only thing that could go wrong was the way i entered in my classes...

That's what happened to me. I went to the same school two times, once for my bachelor's degree and then once for my prereqs... I put it in as two different items, instead of making it one big list. It kind of peeved me off that there wasn't a "Hey don't do it like that" warning when I originally tried to input it, and instead they waited until 5-6 weeks after I submitted to say "Hey fix this!"

I'm sure it says that somewhere, but sometimes I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt when looking for additional info on PTCAS ;)

i submitted mine on sept. 15th and my gpa was up about 10-12 days later. i hear it varies. i've been getting emails from schools over the last 2 weeks that they have received my application.

just a heads up - when they email you telling you to check over your application after they verified it, actually check over it

Last year, they had messed up a couple of my classes - for some reason they changed my anatomy class to being classified as an English class (I know I had it as anatomy when I submitted it b/c I checked my printed app) I emailed them and they changed it back quickly - but still, it was annoying and a good thing I caught it

I submitted mine on Sept 4, there was a couple hiccups with a transcript and entering class grades incorrectly, and today, Oct 5, it says "new" next to it... so I'm assuming it will be going out soon??

I submitted mine on Sept 4, there was a couple hiccups with a transcript and entering class grades incorrectly, and today, Oct 5, it says "new" next to it... so I'm assuming it will be going out soon??

some of ur schools probably have it.. mine has said new for over a week now and i got emails from a few schools saying they have my ptcas app.

I submitted my application on October 1st and I just got an email saying it was verified and will be mailed out soon.

I'm thinking that they have certain days that they mail out applications due to this line from the email:
"Your application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next PTCAS mailing to your designated programs."

Such a relief! I was nervous because one of my programs required them the application to be verified by November 1st

I submitted on Sep.29th, and be verified on Oct.13rd. Finally they just mailed out on Oct.19th.

I submitted my application on October 1st and I just got an email saying it was verified and will be mailed out soon.

I'm thinking that they have certain days that they mail out applications due to this line from the email:
"Your application has now been Verified, and will be included in the next PTCAS mailing to your designated programs."

Such a relief! I was nervous because one of my programs required them the application to be verified by November 1st

Hey are you saying that if I had a school that was due 10/15 w/ firm deadline and no rolling admissions and i submitted on 10/11 it's not the actual date till PTCAS verifies it and mails it in their mailing period?! so does this mean my application for that one school is considered late/invalid?

Hey are you saying that if I had a school that was due 10/15 w/ firm deadline and no rolling admissions and i submitted on 10/11 it's not the actual date till PTCAS verifies it and mails it in their mailing period?! so does this mean my application for that one school is considered late/invalid?

You should call the school and ask them. The school I applied to told me that the Oct. 15th deadline was for e-submitting the app to PTCAS. They said they knew that it could take weeks to get it from PTCAS and that there was no way that I had any control over how long PTCAS takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine on 9/15. E-mailed them last week and was informed it was mailed out on 9/30. They send out PTCAS applications once a week from what I was told.

Definitely call the school to check! They should be considerate of the processing time. PTCAS takes quite a while to get through each GPA verification before they mail it out.

canePT,

It really does vary. PTCAS states that you should allow 4-6 weeks for your application to process. I submitted my application on August 30 and it was sent to my list of schools by Sept 21. That is a little faster than PTCAS stated, but not by a lot. I imagine that your application will be sent 2-3 weeks after your original post in this thread. Word of advice; check PTCAS frequently to see when your application has been sent. Best wishes!

Is there a benefit to using PTCAS rather than as a 1-stop shop to sending out multiple apps? Why wouldn't you just apply directly to the DPT programs individually rather than wait for it to go through PTCAS?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just don't know much about this process.

Is there a benefit to using PTCAS rather than as a 1-stop shop to sending out multiple apps? Why wouldn't you just apply directly to the DPT programs individually rather than wait for it to go through PTCAS?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I just don't know much about this process.

Meliffy18,

PTCAS was created to simplify the application process for prospective PT students. It is still a work in progress IMHO. Since most students apply to multiple schools, the process of applying to each school individually can become convoluted very quickly. Issues like varying prerequisites, clinical observation hours, admission requirements, program matriculation date, GREs, etc are somewhat negated by having a centralized application system. Also, most programs mandate that you apply through PTCAS.

That said, many schools still require supplemental application and ancillary material. So on one hand PTCAS can be extremely helpful by helping to "centralize" most PT programs, however there are still some schools that REQUIRE supplemental applications/forms which seems counter-intuitive if PTCAS is also required by that same program. Hope this helps to answer your question

tarusgirl-

Sorry for the confusion. In general, the deadline listed is the date that Ptcas has to be submitted, not verified. This one particular program has a note under the deadline saying that everything should be verified by the deadline. I've seen notes like this for just a few programs. I'm sure you are fine.

That said, many schools still require supplemental application and ancillary material. So on one hand PTCAS can be extremely helpful by helping to "centralize" most PT programs, however there are still some schools that REQUIRE supplemental applications/forms which seems counter-intuitive if PTCAS is also required by that same program.

Thanks so much for your reply! The latter part is what was confusing me: just didn't see the point in doing 2 apps providing basically the same info. It is what it is, I need to stop analyzing things ;)

I submitted October 1st and they were mailed to the programs October 19th.

I just got a confirmation email from UIC that they received my PTCAS and supplementals. "They are complete!" Yay! I submitted on 10/13.

I just got a confirmation email from UIC that they received my PTCAS and supplementals. "They are complete!" Yay! I submitted on 10/13.

You submitted your PTCAs in the 13th?? I submitted mine on the 11th at night (well I guess on the 12th then because of time differences) and I haven't seen any changes to my application :(

You submitted your PTCAs in the 13th?? I submitted mine on the 11th at night (well I guess on the 12th then because of time differences) and I haven't seen any changes to my application :(

I submitted on the 10/6 and no changes also
I've found the PTCAS experience to be pretty unimpressive
especially after putting in so many hours of my time entering in all that info
you'd think they would be quicker with this
One or two weeks is reasonable, but 5 weeks is just silly

I submitted on the 10/6 and no changes also
I've found the PTCAS experience to be pretty unimpressive
especially after putting in so many hours of my time entering in all that info
you'd think they would be quicker with this
One or two weeks is reasonable, but 5 weeks is just silly

Yeah, there are pros and cons to using PTCAS. I like it that I could apply to so many schools using just 4 LORs istead of asking all my professors, and PT reference to write 10+ LORs. I dont like the supplemental fees and apps which is stupid.

Oh yeah, BTW. Wait until we have to update our courses during the academic update. Now that everyone is flooding PTCAS, I wonder how long that will take.

yes this is weird - I submitted on Oct 1 and mine was verified on the 20th and is not mailed yet (according to the status box, at least) yet the person above submitted Oct 13th and is verified and mailed before me - I am also not impressed

This sucks how PTCAs is organized in that it is a centralized application but not because they don't update you on your application status until they actually process it (who knows when THAT actually is...). Makes people like me anxious since applications that are submitted later than others are getting verified and mailed out earlier. Not to sound annoying but it seems unfair for people who submitted earlier and no response for such a long period of time. Even any source of update would be nice =/

yes this is weird - I submitted on Oct 1 and mine was verified on the 20th and is not mailed yet (according to the status box, at least) yet the person above submitted Oct 13th and is verified and mailed before me - I am also not impressed

If it makes you feel any better, mine was also submitted on Oct 1st, and not only is it mailed, mine hasn't even been verified. Imagine how I feel. :(

If it makes you feel any better, mine was also submitted on Oct 1st, and not only is it mailed, mine hasn't even been verified. Imagine how I feel. :(

That's horrible! Have you checked to make sure they have everything?

That's horrible! Have you checked to make sure they have everything?

I did....and when I made sure everything was up to date, they screwed up and filed one of my transcripts wrong, making it appear my file was incomplete. So it's now been almost a week since things have been completely corrected, and I'm still waiting for them to say my application is verified. I'm going crazy because I'm worried how much this is going to hurt my chances of getting into some schools.

I have a question- where does it say that the application has been verified? I submitted mine on October 1st (just like everyone else here has), and all I see is mail status "not mailed". It's been almost a month since I've submitted my app, this is so frustrating!

tokidoc13 - PTCAS will email you telling you when it's been verified

I'm not sure if it's the only way to tell or not, but if your application has been verified your GPAs will be calculated (in the status box click GPA calculations and see if anything is there)

On PTCAS, mine still says "not mailed" and does not show GPA calculations.
However, I got an e-mail from UIC on Monday saying that they received my PTCAS application.
So, apparently, everything has been verified and mailed, but it's not showing on the PTCAS website.

However, I got an e-mail from UIC on Monday saying that they received my PTCAS application.
So, apparently, everything has been verified and mailed, but it's not showing on the PTCAS website.

You know, I am not one to complain normally... I understand that the sheer volume of applicants that PTCAS must deal with is just astounding. HOWEVER, I think that if this company is going to deal with such a large influx of information, then maybe they need some more employees to make sure this process runs a LOT smoother.

IMHO there is absolutely NO reason why a school should be contacting you saying they have received your materials before "verification" is shown in PTCAS. It's not hard. Obviously someone at PTCAS had to do something to get your materials in the mail, so why couldn't they tell YOU, the applicant, that they have done this!!

So...gotta love PTCAS...they screw up my transcripts so according to their records my app wasn't complete til 10/22 even though everything was in far before then. Anywho, the reason I'm writing is to give other people in my situation some little piece of hope.

When I called PTCAS today they informed me that while my physical application has not been mailed, any school that I have designated it to will be able to see what day it was e-submitted, and actually have electronic access to the e-application. Now, this may not mean they will utilize said application for processing, but at least the schools should of knowledge that you have submitted your application.

Best of luck to everyone!

So...gotta love PTCAS...they screw up my transcripts so according to their records my app wasn't complete til 10/22 even though everything was in far before then.

They did that to me too. I e-submitted at the end of August and then randomly halfway through September (about 4-5 weeks later) they were like, Oh PS- your transcripts are messed up!

Hey, thanks! Why did you let me do that in the first place?! Ugh. There should've been some type of error alert in the system (like they have in place for other pieces of the app) and then I could've fixed it way back when!

Oh well, I'm trying to forget about it now. All three of my schools have my application and it is currently "under review"... If I can stay sane until I find out if I get in, that's another battle that needs my attention...

I accidentally made my post into a blog trying to post a reply lol but:

I got an email from PTCAS today saying they calculated my GPAs and is 'verified' and will send my application to my schools in the next PTCAs mailing (whenever that is..) Whew finally something at least!

Hope everything is getting better/going well for everyone else! :]

I think I read that they mail once a week (sometimes twice) - Mine was mailed last Tuesday, the 26th so maybe yours will be mailed this Tuesday

I think I read that they mail once a week (sometimes twice) - Mine was mailed last Tuesday, the 26th so maybe yours will be mailed this Tuesday

oh really? COOL thanks for the info!

yep - It just occurred to me though, my mailing date on PTCAS says 10/26, but I received supplemental applications via email for 2 schools the following day (one in Phili, one in Florida). However, a school in Virginia told me on Friday, the 29th, that they didn't receive my PTCAS app yet - so who knows
I think schools are given electronic access to them too so maybe that's why I received the supplemental apps so quickly.

Who knows - either way, it is a relief to see "mailed.." and I would guess you will be seeing a date this week!

ya they mail once a week. schools receive an electronic copy then ptcas mails them out an official copy.

yep - It just occurred to me though, my mailing date on PTCAS says 10/26, but I received supplemental applications via email for 2 schools the following day (one in Phili, one in Florida). However, a school in Virginia told me on Friday, the 29th, that they didn't receive my PTCAS app yet - so who knows
I think schools are given electronic access to them too so maybe that's why I received the supplemental apps so quickly.

Who knows - either way, it is a relief to see "mailed.." and I would guess you will be seeing a date this week!

I haven't seen "mailed" yet but I found that they DO get electronic copy first since I just got an email this morning that they said PTCAs verified the application and that school is processing it today. so fast for that one school :)

Submitted PTCAS on 10/1 and 10/14....PTCAS screws up my transcripts..STILL WAITING for them to verify my damn application. I submitted a mailed application to an athletic training program on Friday, 10/29 (Just for kicks) and they sent me an email TODAY saying they received my complete application and it was under review.

Can someone shed some light as to how I can get PTCAS to step it up? I've e-submitted to 5 schools now, whose deadlines have now passed (though I e-submitted prior to it. )

PTCAS says on their website: You should e-submit your application as soon as it's complete and NOT wait for PTCAS to receive all of your transcripts or references.

Based off this information, PTCAS should have already verified and sent my app, then updated it w/ the last transcript they received then screwed up.

Anyway, just wanted to rant, and ask if it's legit of me to call up PTCAS (for the 100th time) and ask them to please expedite my application? I'm just going to be terribly unhappy if I don't get into these programs because PTCAS took forever to send in my application.

And to top it off, I want to update some info for some of my other programs that I will be e-submitting to soon, but of course, I'm not sure that's a good idea, as PTCAS still hasn't mailed out my first round. Thoughts?

Okay...end rant.

Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe OTCAS and PTCAS are the same place and they have to process OTs and PTs applications as well and they have a lot of apps now, considering everyone is scambling to get theirs in.

Anyway, I believe someone on this forum emailed them about how their future is in jeopardy since PTCAS has not processed their application in a timely manner, and they are paying for a service that needs to be aware of this. And they sent an email back saying that they will process her's next..or something like that. Maybe you can try that.

Whew! I got an e-mail and I was notified that they verified my application. It took over a month ( I submitted it on 10/1). Now I have to wait for them to mail my apps. I feel more relieved :)

Whew! I got an e-mail and I was notified that they verified my application. It took over a month ( I submitted it on 10/1). Now I have to wait for them to mail my apps. I feel more relieved :)

Nice feeling to have, I'd say.

I still despise the processing wait on PTCAS part for the price they charge, such inefficiency.

Also, anyone catch the non-qualification of A&P classes taken not taken in Bio sections being counted for the A&P PTCAS classification?
The only human anatomy course at my mid-sized state institution was out of what would be considered the Movement Science dept because our school only has a ZOO dept and no BIO. This just makes it more difficult to justify/ explain my meeting of prereq requirements after the fact to each school I'm applying. PTCAS would have no knowledge of this information, so they just blindly categorize as their set rules please. Oh well another hoop.

So the same thing happened to me but then I just got an email today from PTCAS saying that there was an error in entering my courses so I have to re-enter them and re-submit. WHY DID UIC SAY THEY HAD MY PTCAS IF PTCAS HASN'T MAILED IT???

I also emailed PTCAS to ask them how in the world could UIC confirm that they had my PTCAS and everything but that the PTCAS designations said none were mailed. All they said was "Check the link to the right that says PT designations to check the status of your mailings." WTF

This whole PTCAS process has been the most annoying, aggravating experience I've had in a really long time.

e-submitted nov 30.
received email dec 17 that i was missing a 5 transfer credit transcript from community college back in high school in 2001! fml.
re e-submitted application on 12/17.
community college transcript mailed out 12/20 to PTCAS and myself as reference.
received my personal transcript copy on 12/23.
to this date, PTCAS has not received my transcript according to my application on the website. FML. FML. FML. allegedly it's been about 9 business days, should i be concerned???

thanks in advance.

Graphyte, if you are in the same area, pick up an official transcript and overnight it with signature receipt to PTCAS. That's what I did because I didn't trust anyone with something that important. If you don't live in the area, have the school send you an official transcript, then once you receive it, overnight it to PTCAS with signature receipt. The extra money is well worth not worrying about it.

Graphyte, if you are in the same area, pick up an official transcript and overnight it with signature receipt to PTCAS. That's what I did because I didn't trust anyone with something that important. If you don't live in the area, have the school send you an official transcript, then once you receive it, overnight it to PTCAS with signature receipt. The extra money is well worth not worrying about it.

hmmmm that is acceptable? i was under the impression that transcripts mailed to you, then forwarded to PTCAS was unacceptable according to their faq?