How long is residency for the different specialties? (besides family med)

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know family medicine is 3 years in the US and 2 years in Canada but what about other specialties like Surgery, Cardio, Neuro, etc...is there a site for this?? thanks in advance

and how come family medicine is 2 years in Canada and 3 years in the US?

one more thing, isn't fellowship your residency? or are they two different things? you do you residency after med school and then your done right? after you take board exams of course..

Members don't see this ad.

one more thing, isn't fellowship your residency? or are they two different things? you do you residency after med school and then your done right? after you take board exams of course..

You do a residency first. Take its board exam. Then you do a fellowship. Take its sub-speciality exam.

Your in luck there is indeed a site dedicated to this.... partially

http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/specialties.htm

This is for the good old US of A, just click to find out the particulars.
What I like about it is that it gives residency length and subspeciality info

residency then fellowship but for some there are more then one way to get there.
ie: Emergency Medicine can go on to Pediatric Emergency Medicine
and Pediatrics can go on to Pediatric Emergency Medicine.

hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the site and info guys. does anybody know if they are the same length in Canada?

Make sure to differentiate internship and residency from fellowship. Many people don't understand the difference.

ok if I have this right then internship is the 1 year of training you complete as a medical graduate. Then comes residency which is training in your chosen specialty. And fellowship is when you act as an attending physician in the specialty you've completed your residency in and its optional. Am I right?

btw thanks for that link, Kitra101.

ok if I have this right then internship is the 1 year of training you complete as a medical graduate. Then comes residency which is training in your chosen specialty. And fellowship is when you act as an attending physician in the specialty you've completed your residency in and its optional. Am I right?

btw thanks for that link, Kitra101.

fellowship is subspecializing, for example in cardiology after internal medicine. Attendings aren't generally studying, they are usually the ones teaching residents and fellows.

thanks for the site and info guys. does anybody know if they are the same length in Canada?

Some aren't. Pathology*, for example, is one year less in the US (e.g. 5 years total in Canada).

*Hemepath is 4; the others are 5.