how long does it take for your loan to be approved

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DReject

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just recently applied to the Grad Plus loan and I was wondering how long it takes to hear a decision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Lenders are usually able to tell you on the phone if you qualify when you first call in so it just depends on the individual company. The only thing that would disqualify you is a bad mark like a bankruptcy or excessive late payments, your credit doesn't have to be excellent - just not bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied for mine online, on a Friday evening. When I checked the status online, on Wednesday, it showed that the school replied on Monday, and that my loan was approved either that day or the next (can't remember). I was pretty impressed.

I used an apparent cooperative site that Sallie Mae and KSU operate, or something to that effect. It allows me to manage/view my loans, and to apply for stuff like GradPlus.

Good luck! :luck:

For this year, it just took a day. They ran the credit check and let me know that was OK immediately after I submitted my online application. Then, they sent it to the school for certification -- my school did it immediately, but I guess that depends on how responsive and busy your FA office is.

So do it sooner rather than later to account for any delays, but it shouldn't take ages.