How long did you study per day for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayloreve

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well.....it's almost about that time....where I begin my long painful journey of studying for the DAT. It came so quickly, hopefully it'll all be over just as quick as well.

I just wanted to hear from some of you guys of about how long you studied per day. I plan on beginning to study for the DAT the beginning of June, study through July and August, and take it early early September. Some people might think 3 months isn't long enough, but if I studied any less than that I don't think I would feel prepared enough. My thing is, how many hours a day? Is studying for the DAT like a 9-5 job? Definitely don't mind putting in that time if I'm able to pull of an awesome score. How do you stay motivated throughout that whole time?

I am so petrified for this summer :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Well.....it's almost about that time....where I begin my long painful journey of studying for the DAT. It came so quickly, hopefully it'll all be over just as quick as well.

I just wanted to hear from some of you guys of about how long you studied per day. I plan on beginning to study for the DAT the beginning of June, study through July and August, and take it early early September. Some people might think 3 months isn't long enough, but if I studied any less than that I don't think I would feel prepared enough. My thing is, how many hours a day? Is studying for the DAT like a 9-5 job? Definitely don't mind putting in that time if I'm able to pull of an awesome score. How do you stay motivated throughout that whole time?

I am so petrified for this summer :eek:

Good luck!

I will be starting after the semester.
Do you think you can make this a 2 part poll? Maybe also ask for how many weeks they studied as well?

ive been going about a month now with 3-4 hours/day. Finished almost all of KBB and orgo + math DAT destroyer. Once I finish KBB imma review all that and jump into Cliffs + Gen Chem + RC and do about 5 hours/day. Going to suck with school :(.

It depends on how many weeks or months you have till your test date. i.e. studying 1-2 hours for a test one month away is not enough, but a test in 2-3 months.. 1-2 hours will probably do.

There's other factors in play as well, such as writing the test more than once.

This poll will not produce good stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is plenty of time to study. I only studied for 3.5 weeks and studied 9-10 hrs a day (some days only 6) and 14 during the last 4 days before the test. I felt very well prepared and I was very happy with my scores. Honestly, several months would have driven me crazy. After a certain point you feel prepared enough and are BEYOND sick of studying. With the exception of the breakdown I had while driving to the testing center, by my test date, I was confident and eager to get it over with. Your 9-5 idea sounds good and with all that time you should be fine :)

I studied 20 hours a day for 10 weeks.

Did better than most of those slackers who studied only 9-10 hours a day.

Reactions: 1 users
You might find that 3+ months of studying is too long for this test...really don't think you need that long. You will start to forget stuff you learned in the beginning of your studying if you stretch it out. This test isn't that much material that you can't knock it out in 8 weeks or less. Just a suggestion, everyone is different!

It depends on how many weeks or months you have till your test date. i.e. studying 1-2 hours for a test one month away is not enough, but a test in 2-3 months.. 1-2 hours will probably do.

There's other factors in play as well, such as writing the test more than once.

This poll will not produce good stats.

Yeah I agree! I still wanted to see how long everyone studied a day regardless if it was for only 2 weeks or 2 months.

I studied 20 hours a day for 10 weeks.

Did better than most of those slackers who studied only 9-10 hours a day.

Maybe I need to step it up to 21 hours a day for 9 weeks..... :-D Congrats on your acceptance by the way..it's cool seeing "Dental Student" under your name now! :)

You might find that 3+ months of studying is too long for this test...really don't think you need that long. You will start to forget stuff you learned in the beginning of your studying if you stretch it out. This test isn't that much material that you can't knock it out in 8 weeks or less. Just a suggestion, everyone is different!

I guess only time will tell.. the only reason I feel the need to stretch it out that long is because I am TERRRRRIBLE at math, and I feel like with the PAT you just need lots and lots and lots of practice..not something you can really "study." I feel like that part might take me a while to get good at haha.

sacapuntas is correct. This really isn't the test you need a methodical approach to. I knew though that I am one of those people who need extra time for prep and I took 3 full months. If you feel like PAT or RC will give you trouble take more time. Otherwise around 8 weeks is plenty.

The main thing though is work within your limits. If you can cram well (i.e. lots of hours) you can knock off this test in under 4 weeks and still get a VERY high score. If you can't cram, or have other commitments take longer, recognize your weaknesses and address time issues accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
I was studying 4-6 hrs a day 5 days a week for 3-4 weeks. this included mostly review, reading cliff ap bio, chads videos and quiz's, kaplan blue book math, MCAT verbal reasoning exam kracker once a week. etc... (while taking notes for every area). took my first practice test and realized i needed to pick it up.

For the last month i would say i spent no less then 8hrs a day and the few weeks before almost every waking moment was studying... though i did not have a great gpa to stand on, so for me the DAT was all or nothing.

I'm about 2 weeks in and I'm studying about 6-7 hours a day.. it definitely does feel like a second job! I'm trying my best to follow the study guide that is stickied in this DAT forum. good luck!

I am going to be a sophomore in college next year would it be ridiculous for me to start studying and practicing DAT techniques this summer?

I'd say minimum 10 hours a day unless I was working in the office.

On a good day, probably 12-13 hours with breaks for eating/gym.

I'd say minimum 10 hours a day unless I was working in the office.

On a good day, probably 12-13 hours with breaks for eating/gym.

WOW!! :eek:

I was proud of my rare 7 hour-days.

I actually times myself, and stopped the timer if I had to use restroom or get a snack or something. So, those were 7 hours of actual, focused studying.. but still. Kudos to you!

Last edited:
I chose my test to be at 8am because I am a morning person. I woke up at 6am or 7am daily so I would get to a cafe at 8pm after eating breakfast. Then studied until 12pm, then lunch for 1-2 hours, and then took a nap for 1-2 hours. After that, I'd eat dinner then study until 10-11pm. Of course I took breaks (I used 40-10 study to break ratio). I definitely needed the three months because I knew I needed to spend more time in chemistry.