How is Psychology, fun or ehh?

gotmilklol

High Skooler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering of taking Psychology next year. The problem is if its like a boring class or a fun class and easy? Because I don't want to regret taking a course I don't like

Some positives? Negatives?
And what exactly is Psychology about?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering of taking Psychology next year. The problem is if its like a boring class or a fun class and easy? Because I don't want to regret taking a course I don't like

I'm taking AP Psych next year as well.

The class is fun. However, what I think is fun, especially in terms of school, is most likely not what most people consider to be fun.

But yeah, I mean, AP psych is basically intro to psych in college. The class at my school is def. fun. I think "Interesting" is a better word to use.

Psych is very easy. If you are a member of this website, I doubt you will hate learning Psych. Take it, it's cool. Unless the teacher you get sucks, you should have fun.

That's my take on it.

Well I can only go by my own experience and opinion . I feel like Psychology is one of the most exciting courses I've ever taken . It's helped me alot with my own problems and open my perspective overall . To the point It's my major in college now .

It has so many positives to it, the only negative you might find depending on who you are . Would be depending on the course , you need to write research projects and even do like your own theories and pretend cases/experimental studies. But this would be negative only if you don't like thinking and applying your own theories to whatever they bring to you . My school ( HS ) is very thorough and sometimes they go over the top with work. Your school may not be like that .

I highly recommend it to anyone tbh .

Psychology is the study of the mind , it deals with the mental process and behavior of humans .

I hope I helped ! Let me know if you want to know more :) Overall, I believe you'll enjoy it .

Members don't see this ad :)

Psychology is a pretty intersting topic and is definitely not a difficult one to grasp. No one is going to be able to tell whether or not you will find it boring or exciting because only you can know that. Everyone is different. Read the psychology entry and Wikipedia and that will give you a sufficient intro background to what it is.

Its kinda silly to worry about "regreting" a course in the future. Sometimes courses you think will be awesome are going to be awful, and vice versa. If it sounds interesting, then take it.

Psych courses IMO are pretty easy, so thats a definitely a pro. They are also pretty intenresting for the most part. Because you are just taking an intro class you will probaby survey a lot of different fields in psychology, which will be cool. You will most doubt cover some topics you like (personal fav was health psychology) and some that you dont (psych statistics, altho necessary to some degree, excruciatingly boring).

One definite con that i realized at my school is that many of the psych professors lectured straight out of the book. IMO this should NOT be done for a psych class. Psychology is not a subject like human anatomy where a professor can just lecture and presetn cold hard facts. Psychology is all about discussion, interpretation, reflection! How can the students do this if the professor just talks the entire time? My favorite psych courses were ones where the professor would present a topic/theory/idea and then the class would have time to reflect and share opinions either with how that theory does or does not work based on personal experience or something like that. When a teacher/professor creates a class where the students can speak freely, interpret and share ideas on the psych literature, THEN it gets really cool because you start to learn how different everyone is and you get to hear perspective that you may have never thought about before. So yea, if you can, try to avoid a teacher who just does powerpoint lectures every day like a history course or something... "In 1930 bla bla said that the mind bla bla bla....Then in 1931 someone refuted his claims and said that......" :sleep::sleep:

It's as fun as the teacher makes it. If you have a amazing teacher it will inspire you to learn knowledge in contrast to a teacher you dislike.

Positives: It's a easy class, you can pass a test with common sense.

Negatives: If your not good at Rote Rehearsal "Memorizing definition after definition" then you will want to open up your book to the learning chapter and learn different ways to encode information for both tests and essays.

I didn't find Psychology to be my field of choice but I still enjoyed the class. because of the teacher.

Well, Many of the others have stated most of what Psychology is about and also the positives and negatives of it as well. I think learning about the mind and it's functions is extremely interesting, whether reading out of a book or being taught verbally by a teacher, so that being it would probably be an easy class to maintain--but thats just me :D

I think Psychology is useful and fun because we learn inside of the brain. I personally like it. You should give a try. If yo doon;t like it , you can always quit. :thumbup:

P.S. I have a friend who took Psychology this year. He said is somewhat useful for getting a girlfriend.

Well, I personally think psychology is an amazing field that is largely under appreciated. It hasn't really started to become a significant subject until the 60s. Now that we have fMRIs, PET scans, etc, we can see that most of the hypothesis can now be tested. I think that neurology and psychology should be combined together to make sense of our brain and our behaviors. It is really a remarkable subject. You go from anatomy to the how our genetics and environment affect our behaviors.

I will say, at my science driven school, barely anyone takes this class seriously and often call it a pseudoscience. However, I think everything has to start somewhere and psycholgoy is very promising.

These are just my opinions. But, if you are interested in brain and behavior, I don't see why you shouldn't take it. :)

Thanks for the comments guys
I'm gunna take psychology1 and 2next year :D

I've done two years of psych and its a blast!
It's really fun to learn theories as to how and why people tick.

My teacher used a bunch of movies in his class, and these were the best:

Good Will Hunting (Counseling)
A Beautiful Mind (Psychosis)
Awakenings (Neurotransmitters)
Gaslight (Conditioning) (very old film)
Ordinary People (PTSD and Counseling)

I think Psychology is useful and fun because we learn inside of the brain. I personally like it. You should give a try. If yo doon;t like it , you can always quit. :thumbup:

P.S. I have a friend who took Psychology this year. He said is somewhat useful for getting a girlfriend.

dammit! i majored in psych and i just turned around and there's not a room full of girls behind me! wtf!! :p

anyway, OP are you talking about high school psych or college psych? and yes, although it is interesting, it does depend on the quality of your profs as well.

tennisball - you'll probably enjoy neuroscience more. i actually double majored in neuro and psych in college and i thought the 2 complemented each other VERY well, as in one is the study of the brain while the other is the study of the mind. very interesting stuff.

I actually took AP psych in high school way back when. For us, it was by far the easiest of the AP classes. Class was very interesting.

Negatives... well, not much really. The difficulty of the class may depend a lot upon the teacher and the class requirements. For example, we didn't have any research projects or large term papers. If you find the subject matter interesting (which I think almost everyone will), you'll definitely enjoy the class.

I had a lot of fun because our class involved a lot of discussion and I always took on the role of Devil's advocate for some of the more controversial theories (e.g. Abraham Maslow and his thoughts on self-actualization).

AP Psychology will give you an overview of a range of different areas of psychology. There won't be as much depth in the course because of range of topics, but it should be pretty interesting.

As for easy and hard...it depends on your teacher and their expectations. I'm biased, but I found it easy because I was more interested than some of my other AP courses.

Positives: It's a easy class, you can pass a test with common sense.

Negatives: If your not good at Rote Rehearsal "Memorizing definition after definition" then you will want to open up your book to the learning chapter and learn different ways to encode information for both tests and essays.

If you are speaking of high school- then maybe, who knows, all high schools are different. High school psychology teachers really only need a bachelors. Having taken a high school psych class as opposed to an undergrad psych course, the teacher will not come close to giving you the experience of learning from a graduate level professor. If you are speaking of undergraduate level courses at a legitimate institution, this is GROSSLY inaccurate. As a former psychology major, a teaching assistant for several psychology courses where people with common sense failed the exams, and a soon to be graduate student in a clinical psychology PhD program, I can tell you on good faith that you cannot "pass a test with common sense" unless you have a true ignoramus for a professor/ teacher (if in high school). Also, psychology isn't all about memorization. Again this might be true if you have a professor who is lazy and only cares that you know the definition. With good professors, they teach you to analyze different issues and apply the knowledge you have learned.

One of the great things about being a psychology major is that there is such a diverse amount of material you can study. You could study abnormal psychology and learn about different psychological disorders, their prevalence, their etiology, their treatment etc. Or you could take developmental psychology and learn how human beings grow throughout their lifespan and how it effects their social and emotional well being. You could take sensation and perception and learn how we interpret and experience the world through our five senses and how those mechanisms work. You could take a course on research and learn the proper way psychological scientists go about creating theories that save countless people and tries answer some of life's tough questions. Or you could even take a course on psychology and the law which might have a topic on how psychologists assess people for being competent to stand trial or be executed etc etc. There is so much to learn in this field and such a variety of topics offered that just isn't typical of many other majors.

However I am probably pretty biased.

I personally loved psychology and found it to be a really interesting major, however it really isn't for everyone. Although you can "use" your psychology degree in a variety of ways, it is not like a mathematics degree or an engineering degree where once you are out of undergrad you can make big bucks with just your BA level education. You could use it doing HR etc but there aren't that many occupations one can do with just a BA if they want treat/work with people (although sometimes it CAN be done I suppose). Many people interested in this side of psychology will have to go on to some sort of graduate level training. For instance you cannot be a therapist with just a bachelors. However, you could be a case worker with DCF etc. That is one of the drawbacks of being a psychology major that many people don't really realize.

So really, take a psychology class. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but don't be under the impression that it's going to be an easy A. If you have an instructor that is halfway decent, it will be pretty challenging.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that a high school psychology course will be comprehensive. I'm willing to bet that shear memorization will get you an A. It's high school. I'm going to assume that you (OP) know that the word 'interesting' is subjective and you really want a personal opinion. Psychology from undergrad was interesting to me in the way Discovery Channel's 'Shark Week' is to me. It was cool when I was learning it, but when finals were over I never really picked up a psych journal or read more indepth information just because I was curious. I would recommend taking it, however.

Good luck.

I highly doubt that a high school psychology course will be comprehensive. I'm willing to bet that shear memorization will get you an A. It's high school. I'm going to assume that you (OP) know that the word 'interesting' is subjective and you really want a personal opinion. Psychology from undergrad was interesting to me in the way Discovery Channel's 'Shark Week' is to me. It was cool when I was learning it, but when finals were over I never really picked up a psych journal or read more indepth information just because I was curious. I would recommend taking it, however.

Good luck.

I agree with the bold statement. My high school class consisted of Freud, Freud, Freud... and oh yea.. Freud. I went into college thinking that psychology was all about psychoanalysis and sleeping with your mom. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my high school "teacher" was truly a muggle in the world of wizards. Sick reference please! ;)

Psychology in college is a different animal than HS, as the material gains in depth, though you'll get an idea of what is out there with your AP course. I sometimes cringe when I hear people toss around "easy", as it gets much harder once you get into college, though it depends what you want to get out of the classes. Some of it can be handled through memorization, but the best part about psychology is the application....not so much "analyzing" or anything like that, but understanding the behavioral aspect of the field. Things like the "Milgram" study, the Stanford Prison study, etc. These are classic studies that helped give us a better idea about how we as people relate to each other and how people can really be influenced by others. Jane Elliot actually did a simulation in her classroom about descrimination, and how we can be manipulated and have our behaviors completely change. It wasn't a formal study, but it was still amazing. Brown Eye / Blue Eye. There should be a link to the entire video on the website.