So you (maybe) want to be a psychologist?

Reaction score
I don't see psychology come up much on hSDN but there are some high school folks who make their way over to the psychology forum periodically so thought I'd offer a thread for folks who might be interested in becoming a psychologist since the process is rather different than med school. I'm a few more supervised hours away from being licensed as a psychologist which means I just recently finished grad school, internship, and am now on postdoc. I took a little bit of a meandering path to get here and love where I've arrived. If you have questions, ask away!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you ever thought about being a Psychiatrist, and going to Medical School before choosing Psychology?

Why did you choose it?

I considered it and I do still have a strong interest in biopsych, neurology, etc. I know quite a few psychologists who also considered whether to go to med school and become a psychiatrist and ultimately decided it's not for them (there are probably some psychiatrists who resolved the opposite, but I know more psychologists than psychiatrists, so my sample is biased :) )

Factors that went into my decision, in the order they occurred to me as I went throughout college:
1) the pressure cooker that is med school is a whole different beast than the pressure cooker that is PhD. For one, I like being able to sleep at night and be awake during the day and not regularly have to be awake for 24 hours at a time, and that is important for my own mental health.
2) Also the curriculum for premed just did not seem particularly interesting to me and are not the types of things I excel in (chem etc is not my thing, what drag... my roommate loved organic chem though- I don't get it) so I decided to pursue things that were more inherently interesting to me (e.g., all the psychology classes, and other sciences here and there as I wanted, like anatomy).
3) To finally become a psychiatrist takes like 8 years, and you don't even get to the psych stuff until a few years in, as opposed to about 6 to become a psychologist and you're doing psychology stuff right off the bat.
4) What mattered most is that I realized I wasn't particularly interested in being a doctor first, and you can't jump straight to psychiatry- the psychiatrists in the psychiatry forum will tell you that you're always a "doctor first." I wanted to be able to get more training in research, teaching, and clinical work (as in therapy) and learning how to do things like cognitive behavioral therapy very well during my time in grad school. Most folks in med school don't get much time for research, and certainly not conducting their own (with rare exception).
5) Ultimately I prefer the types of things that psychologists generally do to the things that psychiatrists generally do. There are always exceptions, but on the whole, psychologists are far more likely to be spending more time (and more regularly) with clients, whereas for psychiatrists, med check appointments may only be like 20 minutes. You don't have the same opportunity (on average) to build the same rapport and spend a lot of time thinking behaviorally about things.

Ultimately, the type of training and the type of work that psychiatrists and psychologists receive/do are quite different. There are people who probably would be equally interested in and successful at either, but before jumping in it's important to really get an idea of what the training and actual work is like for each.

I do feel like it is worth mentioning the difference in pay since I hear that question come up periodically. It is true that psychiatrists make a good bit more money on average, but that's a poor reason to go into any career and probably not enough to keep someone motivated all the way through med school (and right out of school I'm already making what I consider to be quite a decent salary).

But even coming out of undergrad I knew med school was out of the picture I wasn't sure if I wanted to go into PhD programs or not. I still wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do with my life. In college I took classes/majors I thought were interesting and my career plan was "I'll figure it out when I get there." It took me a few years to figure it out, and along the way I just did other things that looked interesting (like working for Americorps, getting a master's in a related field, and doing entry-level clinical work for a few years). If you're still in high school you've still got eons to figure it out :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At what point in your life did you realize that you wanted to pursue a career as a psychologist? And now that you've completed grad school, has becoming a professor ever crossed your mind?

Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I was just wondering, can a Psy.D give medications?

I don't know the whole scope of practice for the Psychologists, and I heard it varies in states.

At what point in your life did you realize that you wanted to pursue a career as a psychologist? And now that you've completed grad school, has becoming a professor ever crossed your mind?

Thank you very much. :)

After getting a master's degree in a related field I worked with folks with developmental disabilities for a few years. It was a pretty entry-level position that I could have done without a master's degree but I just enjoyed it so much that I stuck around after I completed my master's degree (I don't regret the master's though; it def helped me with the PhD apps since I had minimal research experience in undergrad). I took every opportunity I could in that organization to sit in on meetings, meet people in higher positions, and get a bigger picture of what career possibilities might be that would allow me to expand on the parts of my job that I was enjoying so much, and seemed like psychologist fit the bill more than any other path.

I had the opportunity to teach in grad school (some grad schools expect their students to teach; at others it is more optional. At my school it was optional, and there was a course you took ahead of time on "the teaching of psychology" and then regular meetings for mentorship while you were teaching; it was excellent preparation. Not all schools offer that level of support so it is something to consider if you are interested in teaching). I LOVED teaching even more than I thought I would. Whether that translates into pursuing a professorship, I'm not sure. I remain open to the idea, but I'm not sure about the stress of pursuing a tenure track position that relies heavily on research and years of bringing in grants to cover part of your salary, although I do enjoy research. Some places have clinical faculty; those folks typically don't do as much teaching from what I have seen (because they are doing more clinical work and supervision). Overall I'm keeping an open mind about where I will end up; regardless of what I end up doing next I think I will find some way to incorporate teaching into it whether that's adjuncting, doing trainings, etc.

Thanks for the question; hope that was helpful!

I don't know the whole scope of practice for the Psychologists, and I heard it varies in states.

Thank you so much. I was just wondering, can a Psy.D give medications?

You are correct, it varies state by state. There are currently 5 states (NM, LA, Iowa, Idaho, Illinois) that allow Rx privileges to licensed psychologists who go through additional training. Even in those states that offer it there aren't a ton of psychologists who have gone thorough the training. Even among psychologists there are strong opinions on both sides about whether this is a good idea. Although I am quite interested in understanding how the meds work (you get some of this in grad school) and interact, etc., I would not want to pursue Rx. The state I was previously in was an Rx state. Anecdotally I've heard that some psychologists who have this often feel pressure from employers to do more med appointments / management and it does not always flow into a natural part of regularly scheduled therapy appointments as one might hope. Also the liability piece and I'd feel a need to understand so much more about all the other systems and medications the individual might be taking... personally it's not for me; I would much rather have a good relationsihp with a local psychiatrist to whom I could refer and with whom I could consult. That has tended to work extremely well in the places I've been before (where there were psychiatrists in the same building; it was awesome). But there are some psychologists who do prescribe, and I imagine the number of states allowing it will slowly expand.

After getting a master's degree in a related field I worked with folks with developmental disabilities for a few years. It was a pretty entry-level position that I could have done without a master's degree but I just enjoyed it so much that I stuck around after I completed my master's degree (I don't regret the master's though; it def helped me with the PhD apps since I had minimal research experience in undergrad). I took every opportunity I could in that organization to sit in on meetings, meet people in higher positions, and get a bigger picture of what career possibilities might be that would allow me to expand on the parts of my job that I was enjoying so much, and seemed like psychologist fit the bill more than any other path.

I had the opportunity to teach in grad school (some grad schools expect their students to teach; at others it is more optional. At my school it was optional, and there was a course you took ahead of time on "the teaching of psychology" and then regular meetings for mentorship while you were teaching; it was excellent preparation. Not all schools offer that level of support so it is something to consider if you are interested in teaching). I LOVED teaching even more than I thought I would. Whether that translates into pursuing a professorship, I'm not sure. I remain open to the idea, but I'm not sure about the stress of pursuing a tenure track position that relies heavily on research and years of bringing in grants to cover part of your salary, although I do enjoy research. Some places have clinical faculty; those folks typically don't do as much teaching from what I have seen (because they are doing more clinical work and supervision). Overall I'm keeping an open mind about where I will end up; regardless of what I end up doing next I think I will find some way to incorporate teaching into it whether that's adjuncting, doing trainings, etc.

Thanks for the question; hope that was helpful!

This is indeed very helpful. Thanks a lot!

But even coming out of undergrad I knew med school was out of the picture I wasn't sure if I wanted to go into PhD programs or not. I still wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do with my life. In college I took classes/majors I thought were interesting and my career plan was "I'll figure it out when I get there." It took me a few years to figure it out, and along the way I just did other things that looked interesting (like working for Americorps, getting a master's in a related field, and doing entry-level clinical work for a few years). If you're still in high school you've still got eons to figure it out :)

Hi, I found this thread, and find it helpful as I am also in a transition period as a psychology graduate. I have been looking at AmeriCorps before applying for Master's programs. I also don't have as much research experience as I would like. I have a couple of questions if you can answer them. Did the AmeriCorps program you do have anything to do with psychology or research and to help me with my research, could you please share the name of the specific program you did? Was AmeriCorps helpful in providing reference(s) and what kind of references did you use for your Master's program? Thanks.

Hi, I found this thread, and find it helpful as I am also in a transition period as a psychology graduate. I have been looking at AmeriCorps before applying for Master's programs. I also don't have as much research experience as I would like. I have a couple of questions if you can answer them. Did the AmeriCorps program you do have anything to do with psychology or research and to help me with my research, could you please share the name of the specific program you did? Was AmeriCorps helpful in providing reference(s) and what kind of references did you use for your Master's program? Thanks.
I don't think that the AmeriCorps program that I did was specifically helpful for my master's program. It wasn't particularly related and there was definitely no research component in the program that I did (CityYear, working mostly in schools). There are a really wide variety of AmeriCorps programs; there may be some that have some research component to them but that seems more likely for maybe bio/conservation related positions. It was good life experience for me at that point in time and I enjoyed it, but if you know you're lacking in research and maybe want to go the PhD route, then finding work somewhere as a research/lab assistant (that pays probably more than any AmeriCorps position) will probably be more helpful to the admissions process. I beefed up my research experience during my master's program which I think in my case was essential to the PhD route later. If you're just thinking your long term goal is a masters that doesn't include much research component, then that probably opens up a wider variety of jobs that would be "ideal" from an admissions standpoint. I think that references for my master's program included my undergraduate advisor, my AmeriCorps supervisor, and... I don't remember the 3rd. Probably another college prof that I'd kept in touch with. Hope that was helpful!

I don't think that the AmeriCorps program that I did was specifically helpful for my master's program. It wasn't particularly related and there was definitely no research component in the program that I did (CityYear, working mostly in schools). There are a really wide variety of AmeriCorps programs; there may be some that have some research component to them but that seems more likely for maybe bio/conservation related positions. It was good life experience for me at that point in time and I enjoyed it, but if you know you're lacking in research and maybe want to go the PhD route, then finding work somewhere as a research/lab assistant (that pays probably more than any AmeriCorps position) will probably be more helpful to the admissions process. I beefed up my research experience during my master's program which I think in my case was essential to the PhD route later. If you're just thinking your long term goal is a masters that doesn't include much research component, then that probably opens up a wider variety of jobs that would be "ideal" from an admissions standpoint. I think that references for my master's program included my undergraduate advisor, my AmeriCorps supervisor, and... I don't remember the 3rd. Probably another college prof that I'd kept in touch with. Hope that was helpful!

Thanks, that was helpful. I'm past the age range for City Year, but sounds like it would be a good experience for those who can do it. Funny enough I decided to go back to finding lab/research positions related to psychology after I posted a reply to your post. It seems a bit harder to find and get full-time positions w/AmeriCorps for my age and having little work experience, so I may try AmeriCorps again in the future after doing lab/research work, if the program doesn't eventually get cut.

Last edited: