How impt. is Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOtally great

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for getting into med school... i kinda slacked off and put off volunteering b/c of school and work...... im gonna take the mcats in august, hopefully gonna apply after that........also, when is the deadline 2 apply to med schools? thanxxxx :confused: :D

Members don't see this ad.

It can really make or break an app depending on what if any other ECs that you have. I did not participate in any clubs or the like in undergrad but I did some research and a little volunteering. I learned more in my volunteering about compassion and empathy than anything else. Volunteer in an ER or any critical care department and your desire to 'help people' (i.e. the reason for enduring med school and residency) will grow exponentially. Especially if you have never worked in a hospital, you need to see the plight of a patient. All of my interviewers were interested in my volunteer experiences. I was able to use many of my volunteer experiences in my personal statements and I think they really legitimized my app. Not to mention the need for volunteers in all facets of society. GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

University of Tennessee.............SEC champs 2003, I hope.

Insofar as volunteering is concerned, it is best to start this as early as possible, especially if you plan on applying to schools (i.e. MSUCOM) where volunteerism and community service are very highly regarded. Most admissions committees don't require you to have an extreme number of activities, but rather a few that you have shown dedication to and have made a large part of your life. In the osteopathic profession, a lot of emphasis is placed on service and you will need to demonstrate this through your application(s) and interviews. If you feel that you are not strong enough in this department, I would seriously consider delaying your application process and try to get more service-oriented experiences. Remember, they don't necessarily have to be medically-related. Just choose something that you are interested in and feel good about! Best of luck!

Julia
P.S. If you check out the AACOMAS website, the deadlines should all be listed there.