How important is timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akw42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question. I applied last year to 17 MD schools with a 3.65 cum and sci gpa and 32 MCAT from an ivy. I submitted my secondaries pretty late (after holding onto them for over a month) in mid september - early october. i got 3 late interviews in mid february (Einstein, Cornell and SUNY Downstate) and currently high priority waitlisted at einstein. i know my stats are not stellar but i don't think tehy were necessarily exclusionary factors (i could be wrong). i'm thinking the things that could have held me back this cycle were either the late application submission or my LOR. This cycle I plan to submit everything ASAP, within days after i recieve secondaries. I haven't done much during the last year as I was finishing up my senior year but for the next year i will be doing clinical research and will most definitely be authoring several papers and publications.
sorry for the long background, but my question is: as i haven't exactly done much for my application other than submitting it much earlier, do you guys think it will be enough to significantly improve my chances? I am applying to 20 MD schools (10 of which i applied to last cycle) and definitely broadened the scope of the schools.
THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

also, i figured i can't really do anything about my LOR as my committee letter is already set (from last year). i am adding a letter from a PI i worked for over the summer who's letter should be more personal. i am also hoping to get a letter out of the clinical research i'm at now in july or august. that's really the best i can do at this point to fix and LOR issues. My overall gpa remained essentially the same with my cumalitive at a 3.63 and sci around there too

Members don't see this ad :)
Timing is everything. First year I applied I got no love... applied in September/October. Second year I submitted THE FIRST DAY, got secondaries turned around within 24 hours, and by Labor Day I had seven interviews scheduled already. Had my first acceptance by Oct 1.

Timing is very important. Yeah, there are folks who will say "oh, I applied last day and got in," but your chances are so so so much better if you apply early. And I mean FIRST DAY early.

Shyrem is always right
Timing is everything!!! I applied first day with pretty low stats and had 6ii, 2 acceptances, 2 waitlists...

Hey guys, quick question. I applied last year to 17 MD schools with a 3.65 cum and sci gpa and 32 MCAT from an ivy. I submitted my secondaries pretty late (after holding onto them for over a month) in mid september - early october. i got 3 late interviews in mid february (Einstein, Cornell and SUNY Downstate) and currently high priority waitlisted at einstein. i know my stats are not stellar but i don't think tehy were necessarily exclusionary factors (i could be wrong). i'm thinking the things that could have held me back this cycle were either the late application submission or my LOR. This cycle I plan to submit everything ASAP, within days after i recieve secondaries. I haven't done much during the last year as I was finishing up my senior year but for the next year i will be doing clinical research and will most definitely be authoring several papers and publications.
sorry for the long background, but my question is: as i haven't exactly done much for my application other than submitting it much earlier, do you guys think it will be enough to significantly improve my chances? I am applying to 20 MD schools (10 of which i applied to last cycle) and definitely broadened the scope of the schools.
THANKS!

Applying early is hands down one of the best things you can do for your application. I learned the hard way last year, and I am trying to tell as many people as I can to apply early. So, APPLY EARLY! :) I really can't emphasize enough..

What's the time frame for "early?" Is within June still considered early?

What's the time frame for "early?" Is within June still considered early?
The day the app opens is early. Every day after that is less early.

IMHO mid-July is where "late" starts.

The day the app opens is early. Every day after that is less early.

IMHO mid-July is where "late" starts.

mid-July is not late by any stretch. This is SDN neuroticism at work. Your primary app isn't released until June 29th this year. Assuming you can bang out a secondary in a day and all your LORs are in, you could be complete at schools July 1st. Saying that mid-July is late is just absurd.

You want to be as complete as soon as you can be without compromising your application. Period.

mid-July is not late by any stretch. This is SDN neuroticism at work. Your primary app isn't released until June 29th this year. Assuming you can bang out a secondary in a day and all your LORs are in, you could be complete at schools July 1st. Saying that mid-July is late is just absurd.

You want to be as complete as soon as you can be without compromising your application. Period.

Except if you submit your primary app mid july, you'll be verified end of August, and then submit in september. Then you'll be complete about a week later. So it's the difference between the earliest possible (being complete beginning of July) to being complete end of September. Huge difference. People don't realize how easily time just slips by.

THANKS!

Since you were high priority waitlisted at Einstein, I am doubtful of any issues with LoR's. As you have already said in a subsequent post, you will be getting a couple of new LoR's which will be good to show what you've been doing since last applying.

Yes, timing is very important for medical school rolling admissions, for two reasons:

1. Earlier in the cycle, there are less (or no) people ahead of you who have already submitted applications, gotten interviews, etc.
2. Earlier in the cycle, there are less people to compete with.

Both of these factors have a huge impact on being waitlisted/rejected vs. accepted.

How much clinical experience have you had (physician shadowing, volunteering/medical job other than medical research)? That may be something to improve on if you are lacking.

Other than that, I see nothing fundamentally wrong with your application other than timing, which is an easy fix if you have all of your ducks in a row. So, if you're confident you have everything ready and have no major deficits (remember clinical experience!) go ahead and send those applications in.