How important is research?

Hi everyone,

So I will be a junior in college next year. Although I have other experiences (clinical, leadership, community service, work..etc) I do not have any research experience. My GPA is 3.8+ and I will take the MCAT sometime during January (aiming around 516-519).

I am looking to apply to research heavy schools such as JHU, Harvard, Dartmouth and Brown. Do you think my chances will be low, given that I have no research but high gpa, mcat and strong ECs.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I will be a junior in college next year. Although I have other experiences (clinical, leadership, community service, work..etc) I do not have any research experience. My GPA is 3.8+ and I will take the MCAT sometime during January (aiming around 516-519).

I am looking to apply to research heavy schools such as JHU, Harvard, Dartmouth and Brown. Do you think my chances will be low, given that I have no research but high gpa, mcat and strong ECs.

Thanks in advance!

Lol, I had a similar GPA. Scoring that high on the MCAT is extraordinarily difficulty. GPA and MCAT do not correlate.

Are you applying MD/PhD? I'm assuming no, and here is my answer:

To answer your question, Research is an "unofficial mandatory" EC. Medical schools (both DO and MD) want to see a student that is immersed in "discovery, hardwork, and dedicated to the scientific method." The type of research you do is meaningless. A lot pre-medical students are interested in cancer biology research, which is wonderful, but their school doesn't have a lab like that, or the labs like that won't take an undergrad. That doesn't matter. Get involved in a lab ASAP OP. Try to make it something you're interested in, but if that doesn't happen, just join any lab. At a medical school interview, the interviewer simply wants to know if you understood what you were doing. If you work in a plant biology lab studying gene x and its impact on chlorophyll production, that's perfectly fine. Can you tell me about Gene x? What other genes is it related to? How DOES gene x relate to chlorophyll production? What was the specific project you worked under? How did you regulate Gene X? These are the types of things an interviewer wants to see.

Notice how that example doesn't relate to humans, medicine, or anything like that at all. But, its still perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is research (especially now a days) has become an increasingly more important part of the application, especially when you are looking at research heavy schools. Like Dr. Stalker said, get involved!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. It looks like a lot applicants are involved in some sort of research. I am working for a public health research institute as a research intern. I'm not sure if that is classified as research. Lol

Also what kind of schools do you guys think would fit a student like me who is lacking research?

Yeah. It looks like a lot applicants are involved in some sort of research. I am working for a public health research institute as a research intern. I'm not sure if that is classified as research. Lol

Also what kind of schools do you guys think would fit a student like me who is lacking research?
A school list is unable to be provided until we have your MCAT score.

If you told us you scored a 528, 512, or 502, no matter what your ECs and GPA are, the lists would be dramatically different.

All of my practice tests have been a 517. So if we assume a 517?

All of my practice tests have been a 517. So if we assume a 517?
Which practice exams?

Scores tend to be +/-2, so, being conservative, with a 515 you have a good chance at most low-tier, and some mid-tier. If you score 519+, top tiers will start to look at you (Upenn, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, etc.)

I believe the MSAR still has a stat for each school of what percent of matriculated students have research experience. To help you find schools you have better chances at you may want to set a cutoff for schools to not apply to, like schools that matriculate >95% or 90% with research.

Yeah I have being doing that. I am trying to decide a cut-off point. I have been doing public health research. Do you think that counts? @Neuroplasticity and @Dr. Stalker
While public health research is appreciated and still research, it doesn't necessarily qualify as the standard research done at the universities of medicine you're interested in. Those are basic science research power houses with massive Nobel laureate alumni and current professors.

However, your PH research doesn't make you unattractive as a candidate; rather it contributes to global and domestic health interest and research that is also appreciated and conducted at those schools.

To be safe, since you're looking at research powerhouses, I'd immediately get into a basic science lab AND still continue your PH internship/research opportunity. This way you can check off both of those boxes.

I'll ask again - you're averaging 517s, congratulations, but on what practice exams? AAMC? Kaplan? Please be specific (As in, Kaplan FL 3-6 or AAMC FL 1, etc.)

Both AAMC and Kaplan. I scored a 519 on one of the AAMC tests I took. But the AAMC ones felt a bit easier, so I think that's why.

Both AAMC and Kaplan. I scored a 519 on one of the AAMC tests I took. But the AAMC ones felt a bit easier, so I think that's why.
You're in excellent shape with your numbers.

For the research powerhouse medical schools, aim to get as many research hours in as possible. However, do not jeopardize your MCAT or GPA in the process. Its difficult, but you must find a balance.

For the schools you've listed above, be warned, they are the most selective in the country/world, so even with a perfect application, its very possible you won't be admitted simply because.

Good luck.

Yeah. But to be quiet honest am just thinking of continuing to strengthen my clinical experience. So, at this point I am not really sure if I will be competitive enough for the schools I mentioned earlier.

Research > Clinical activities for the research powerhouse schools. For example:
1000 hours research vs. shadowing 10 different doctors for 100 hours each. The 1k research hours easily trump the shadowing for those particular schools. Those schools don't differentiate between a medical student and a PhD student so to speak; a good medical student is one that is good on the floors, but also has the mind of a basic scientist, and approaches patients as he/she would an experiment, and excels in both realms.

Thanks @Dr. Stalker! Maybe I need to take a gap year then. That would give me great length of time to commit to a lab and get involved. Also I am an international student, so I guess research is a MUST to really be set apart.

Thanks @Dr. Stalker! Maybe I need to take a gap year then. That would give me great length of time to commit to a lab and get involved. Also I am an international student, so I guess research is a MUST to really be set apart.

International status changes things a bit up OP!

Invest in the MSAR and find schools that take 10+ international students per class, and add all of them to your school list.

I don't think a gap year will be necessary (again, unless you're applying MD PhD in which case, we need to have a separate conversation).